Thread: AT&T GoPhone $2/Day Plan ripoff

Feedback Score

AT&T GoPhone $2/Day Plan ripoff

It doesn't seem right that I get charged $2 when using my AT&T prepaid on the $2/day plan with WiFi calling, since I'm not using their wireless network. Any opinions out there?

Feedback Score
    You are using their phone #. Not theirs? Try using it without a carrier.
    I will be Judged on how I helped the poor, sick & others in need; strangers & loved ones alike.

My plans:
    Visible (Verizon) UTT & Unlimited Data $25/mo
    T-Mobile Gold Rewards $10yr exp 01.03.23

Device(s)
    Pixel 3a XL; Moto E4; LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    Google Voice; T-Mobile Postpaid Mobile Data; FreedomPop; FreeUp; Dent; 3UK
    Feedback Score
    Google Voice
    TextNow
    Etc...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by vev1946 View Post
    It doesn't seem right that I get charged $2 when using my AT&T prepaid on the $2/day plan with WiFi calling, since I'm not using their wireless network. Any opinions out there?
    You are still using their backbone (wired network). How do you think your phone call is routed to the destination? Still via AT&T backbone (that connects to other carries backbones). There is no longer phone->cell tower hop but the rest is still the same.

Device(s)
    LG G8X
    Carrier(s)
    At&t Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by vev1946 View Post
    If you just want to keep a phone number for use on cheap Wifi Calling only, you should look into Textnow: https://www.textnow.com/freewireless...AaAqptEALw_wcB

I use their app on my tablet at home. Its my home landline. The number stays with me as long as I make a call or text every month.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CheapCharlie View Post
    If you just want to keep a phone number for use on cheap Wifi Calling only, you should look into Textnow: https://www.textnow.com/freewireless...AaAqptEALw_wcB

I use their app on my tablet at home. Its my home landline. The number stays with me as long as I make a call or text every month.
    I like Textnow's free wi-fi phone number service. I've had a Textnow number on a no-sim, wi-fi phone for a long time time now. Their texting app isn't the best (too many ads). I don't mind their calling app even though it does show me an ad at the end of every completed call.

You do need to make that one call a month as mentioned by CheapCharlie. They send a reminder and if you don't make that call, they're aggressive about purging the number.

In fact, when you set up a number for the first time, they purge the number if you don't use it within the first week. I have lost many numbers in the first week!

Device(s)
    Pixel 3a XL; Moto E4; LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    Google Voice; T-Mobile Postpaid Mobile Data; FreedomPop; FreeUp; Dent; 3UK
    Feedback Score
    Yes, all those reasons are why I mentioned TextNow in my earlier reply to the question. But Google Voice is even better, which is why I mentioned Google Voice before TextNow.