Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The Add-a-Line Experiment may need to be Changed!!

Feedback Score

The Add-a-Line Experiment may need to be Changed!!

I haven't been paying close attention to the add-a-line experiment that is being discussed in many threads. (The one about adding just the device and waiting to add a plan much later to see if 10K points get awarded).

It struck me just now that there may be a "fatal flaw" in the design of the experiment. Here's why:

TF says something like the line needs to be added within 30 days of activation to get 10K points. Now being Tracfone, they will most likely also interpret this as - the line needs to be activated within 30 days of adding the device.

So suppose you add the device today, call it Day-1.
    You'll have to activate the device with a plan latest by Day-29. Any delay in activation, and points can get denied.

So basically, crafty Tracfone has set it up such that if you add a plan any time after Day-29, they can use it as an excuse to deny 10K points.

And, if you add the lowest 30-day plan on Day-29, it will only take you to Day-59, so they can deny you the 10K points because the line won't be active on Day-61.

Which means that either way, the experiment is doomed to fail, given Tracfone's craftiness. At least that's how it seems to me (and apologies if I have totally misunderstood the design of the experiment!) (Oh and if what I've written is on the money, I should get 20% of whatever you save/earn because of this post!)

Device(s)
    Samsung S22, Samsung A51, Pixel 4a
    Carrier(s)
    TF/Verizon, Walmart Freedompop, FreeUP AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Even if TF enforces the rule of "must activate within 30 days of adding the device", there's still an advantage in delaying the activation. If you do the "standard" way of activating the same time as adding the line, you'll need to provide at least 61 days of service, which practically means providing at least 90 days. If you can delay the activation by just a few days, then providing 60 days of service are sufficient, and save you some money.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    Even if TF enforces the rule of "must activate within 30 days of adding the device", there's still an advantage in delaying the activation. If you do the "standard" way of activating the same time as adding the line, you'll need to provide at least 61 days of service, which practically means providing at least 90 days. If you can delay the activation by just a few days, then providing 60 days of service are sufficient, and save you some money.
    Another way to do it which should only involve purchasing a 30 day card. I have a line with 10K points vesting in ~27 days. I'm going to wait around a week to activate the new device, which was added with 10K points pending about 4 days ago.

Then, about 30 days from now, I will combine the two lines into the new number, which should be less than 30 days from vesting. The balances from the old line should extend the new line well past the vesting date. This also frees up a slot in the account for adding new lines (with potentially more bonus points)

This only works, of course, if the old line has ample service days remaining. Most of us probably got in on bundles in the past, so we probably have several lines that would work for this.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by PHL1365 View Post
    Then, about 30 days from now, I will combine the two lines into the new number, which should be less than 30 days from vesting. The balances from the old line should extend the new line well past the vesting date. This also frees up a slot in the account for adding new lines (with potentially more bonus points)
    OMG, somehow, this seems like this will run afoul of many of Tracfone's nitpicky rules for Add-a-Line. That promo seems to be designed by their legal department, judging from the language they've used. (see this post)

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Right. It appears PHL1365 likes to live dangerously.
    Everyone is saying to freeze the account and change nothing until all points have vested.

Feedback Score
    I agree with Sillyette and Tracfancier, don't combine any lines until all your add-a-line points vest.

Device(s)
    TF Moto E 2020
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    I have that 4 day difference between the 10K point award date and the time I activated the line when I received the phone. I have added 60 days of service. Once I see the points vest on day 61, I'll be able to merge my lines, hence only needed to have 60 days of service. Hoping it works that way because I really want to migrate to the new phone.
    TZ

Feedback Score
    Combining lines was mentioned a couple of times. Is that process, done through a chat session, still considered reliable? After the points from my new add-a-line phone vest, I will want to combine the service from that phone (came bundled with a year + buckets from ebay) with the existing time and buckets on my "old" phone. Right now, I would probably want to keep the "old" phone active with it's already existing number, but with the remaining service from the add-a-line phone added (combined) and the add-line-line phone then de-activated.

Not that it matters, but "old" phone is a Moto E 2020 and add-a-line phone is a TCL A3. TCL has one rev later Android and 3 GB ram vs 2 GB on the Moto. But the TCL camera is lousy compared with the Moto and that's important to me.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ultrawolf View Post
    Combining lines was mentioned a couple of times. Is that process, done through a chat session, still considered reliable? After the points from my new add-a-line phone vest, I will want to combine the service from that phone (came bundled with a year + buckets from ebay) with the existing time and buckets on my "old" phone. Right now, I would probably want to keep the "old" phone active with it's already existing number, but with the remaining service from the add-a-line phone added (combined) and the add-line-line phone then de-activated.

Not that it matters, but "old" phone is a Moto E 2020 and add-a-line phone is a TCL A3. TCL has one rev later Android and 3 GB ram vs 2 GB on the Moto. But the TCL camera is lousy compared with the Moto and that's important to me.
    I found the 'combine balance' task easier than 'add-a-line' and most chat agents handle it well. mini guide

Use Chat to combine lines: After the phone was unlocked (day 60) and points vested (day 61), you can move the data/minutes/text and remaining days to your existing line. Check and type in Note the balance (buckets/days) of both phones before you start a chat with TF. Once chat started, tell the agent that you'd like to have the remaining buckets/days of phone number (nnn) nnn-nnnn added to phone number (mmm) mmm-mmmm, and like to keep phone number (mmm) mmm-mmmm. A verification code will be sent to the donor/new line, and the transfer/combine will start shortly. Ask the agent the balance on each phone. If s/he refuses, type/copy the balance of each phone in chat box and ask the agent to confirm (providing the total and approx. expiration date helps too). After the process is complete, main line will have all balance, and donor/new line will be deactivated (inactive; unlocked).

Switch Phones: If you want to use Phone N (better phone) but keep line M's phone number. Do 'Combine' as described above. Wait a day or two, note your balance in M, and chat with TF again to transfer everything to N. "I'd like to transfer my active service/units to a currently inactive Tracfone-branded phone with the original Verizon SIM inside." Ask the agent your balance, or provide the balance for the agent to confirm (in case something went wrong and you need to call later.)

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Tracfancier View Post
    Right. It appears PHL1365 likes to live dangerously.
    Everyone is saying to freeze the account and change nothing until all points have vested.
    Well, I guess so. But I'm playing with house money at this point so I'm willing to risk it a bit.

I suppose I shouldn't even talk about how I reactivated a harvested line and discovered that all of it's balances were restored.

Device(s)
    Samsung S22, Samsung A51, Pixel 4a
    Carrier(s)
    TF/Verizon, Walmart Freedompop, FreeUP AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I suppose I shouldn't even talk about how I reactivated a harvested line and discovered that all of it's balances were restored.
    That had happened before for some people. The only thing is TF might discover it someday and take away the service on that phone, including any airtime you added after reactivation.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    That had happened before for some people. The only thing is TF might discover it someday and take away the service on that phone, including any airtime you added after reactivation.
    Yeah, I figured that. I've already deactivated that line.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazy8SD View Post
    I found the 'combine balance' task easier than 'add-a-line' and most chat agents handle it well. mini guide
    Thanks. I've done that a few times in the past and it's good to know that it can still be done with a good chance of success.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Just adding some recent experience. Don't know if this can be replicated.

On 7/12, created an account and activated 2 new devices. Added and activated 2 additional devices a week later. Took a few phone calls, but got all the AAL points that were due. I had ~ 29,500 points pending (8K + 7K + 7K + 7K )

On 8/22, added a BYOP line and got 10,000 AAL points.

On ~9/13, merged one of the two original lines into the BYOP line.
    On ~9/15 merged the other original line into the BYOP line.
    At this point, there are only 3 active lines in the account. Should have had ~39,600 pts, but 7000 points were missing. Managed to get those added back on after some phone calls.

On 9/17, redeemed 20,000 pts for a coupon code and ordered 2 new devices, leaving 19,600 pts, with 10K still pending from the BYOP AAL.

On 9/20, received 2 x 10K AAL pts for 2 devices ordered with the coupon. Account now has 5 devices with 3 active lines.

On 9/26, activated the two new devices with 30-day basic cards from ebay.

On 10/21, the 10K AAL points from the BYOP line vested. This is despite the fact that the two original lines that were in the account when I added the BYOP had since been removed. This strongly suggests that the TF algorithm for vesting looks at the total number of lines in the account rather than the specific devices/phone numbers that were present at the time the AAL points are initially earned.

I now have 40,205 pts, with 19,817 vested. I should get ~300 more points vested in 5 days from various activities. Once those vest, I'll get another coupon code, although I'm not sure what I'm going to get with it. The final 20K points should vest in another month.

I currently have 5 lines on my account, and I'll probably leave them there until my two latest lines vest on 11/25. I have two of the TCL flip phones to activate, but it's not worth risking the 20K points that are still pending. My intent is to combine everything down to 1 line for a few days, and then activate the new devices.

Sorry for being long-winded, but I wanted to provide some insight into how the vesting system might work.

Device(s)
    Nokia 6233
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Just adding some recent experience. Don't know if this can be replicated.

Sorry for being long-winded, but I wanted to provide some insight into how the vesting system might work.

On 10/21, the 10K AAL points from the BYOP line vested. This is despite the fact that the two original lines that were in the account when I added the BYOP had since been removed. This strongly suggests that the TF algorithm for vesting looks at the total number of lines in the account rather than the specific devices/phone numbers that were present at the time the AAL points are initially earned.

Not long winded at all but good data point for others to make use of . Thanks for the update

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast