Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Straight Talk Introduces Home Internet Plan on Verizon Network – Unlimited Data for $45/mo

Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by zapjb View Post
    It will work anywhere there is service. I know VZW can be snarky but that's too much.
    Yea it works- for now. I remember in 2017 when they released unlimited data plans again for the first time in years. We used a line for home internet. But the lines were only supposed to have 10gb of hotspot. At first it was unlimited. But guess what. After about 8 months or so out of the blue I get a message saying we’d used 90 percent of our hotspot data limit. Shortly after that bam, hard throttle to 600kbps. It just took them awhile to implement it. I’d guess eventually they’ll get their geofencing working as well.

No one protects their network as viciously as Verizon.

Feedback Score
    Maybe now you can get it and activate it, and move it to another location even if your address isn't eligible. But again, I see the reason they do the location check is to assure you'll have the service/experience it's meant to provide. By providing the location a check for sufficient resource capacity in that area can be confirmed.
    What good is it if for the intended purpose if you're constantly deprioritized to a point you can't even stream. If you're slowed to a crawl unlimited data is useless anyway. I'm in an LTE only area with already congestion for lack of capacity and at times of day I can't even check email. And that's on Verizon prepaid directly. If I got one of these devices, my address is not on the approved check, what good would it be.

Understand that the reason for uw5G speed is not for the sake of speed itself but to allow more capacity. The faster data moves means more users doing the same thing at the same time without depriority or loss of signal, and being able to offer things like Wireless Home internet in areas that can handle it.

So if your address check does not come back as ok, and you decide to try it anyway, please report back with your experience.
    Specifically doing things like heavy streaming like your Ruku, not just checking email and light web browsing or small youtube clips.
    How well does your phone do on data steaming a movie now, that will tell you if this device may be worth trying.

Feedback Score
    I've been trying to find a Home Internet solution for my in-laws that doesn't cost over $70 a month or require a contract. Despite them not qualifying for this at their address, I went ahead and ordered one from Walmart and figured I'd see if I can get this activated somehow and working. I found an address that this can activate from, but I guess I'll find out if this will actually work at their real address.

Feedback Score
    It really boils down to your intended use. Email, browsing, light streaming and downloads you can do on any Hotspot device for half the cost, or simply wanting unlimited full speed data (whatever that is in your area), verses using it for your Smart TV.

I'm anxious for real use reports from people in areas that don't have an approved address before I dive.

Device(s)
    Unihertz Titan on T-Mobile, Unihertz TickTock on Verizon Wireless, Samsung Galaxy Tab Active Pro
    Carrier(s)
    ▪T▪ ▪ ▪Mobile▪, Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rpz1 View Post
    It's Verizon. You can walk into a Verizon store and gladly sell you a phone capable of uw5G and never tell you you can't use uw5G where you live. That Walmart and ST where people use another address where it's allowed and try to use it at their home address that doesn't allow it will have a rude awakening unless the addresses ping off the same tower.
    I believe even the very very small print on Verizon T&C's for it say that. It's FIXED Home Internet, not mobile.
    If you go to the link in my initial post, you'll see that the article has been updated. Verizon/Smart Talk IS now stating that the device can ONLY be used at the address you signed up for service at, and that moving it to a different address is a violation of the Terms and Conditions.

Yet another example of VZW offering landline replacement internet to almost no one.

EDIT: Exact wording in the TOS...

"You may not move the Home Internet service or equipment to another address without our authorization. If you are moving to a new address and wish to continue using the Home Internet service, then please contact us to confirm coverage and whether you can install/setup it at your new address. If you move without notifying us, then we may not be able to provide service to you."
    Photobucket's policy changes SUCK!

New signature coming soon-ish...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by VisionsDivine View Post
    I've been trying to find a Home Internet solution for my in-laws that doesn't cost over $70 a month or require a contract. Despite them not qualifying for this at their address, I went ahead and ordered one from Walmart and figured I'd see if I can get this activated somehow and working. I found an address that this can activate from, but I guess I'll find out if this will actually work at their real address.
    Have you checked T-Mobile Home Internet for them? It is $50 per month for unlimited. They have a plan called T-Mobile Home Internet Lite as well. That version that is available over a wider area than their unlimited Home Internet and starts at $50 for 100 GB.
    Last edited by Jane B.; 10-20-2022 at 03:57 PM.

Feedback Score
    VZW changed the TOS then. Grrr. Thought it'd be useful to use in hotels etc.
    I will be Judged on how I helped the poor, sick & others in need; strangers & loved ones alike.

My plans:
    Visible (Verizon) UTT & Unlimited Data $25/mo
    T-Mobile Gold Rewards $10yr exp 12.25.23

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack T. Chance View Post
    If you go to the link in my initial post, you'll see that the article has been updated. Verizon/Smart Talk IS now stating that the device can ONLY be used at the address you signed up for service at, and that moving it to a different address is a violation of the Terms and Conditions.

Yet another example of VZW offering landline replacement internet to almost no one.

EDIT: Exact wording in the TOS...

"You may not move the Home Internet service or equipment to another address without our authorization. If you are moving to a new address and wish to continue using the Home Internet service, then please contact us to confirm coverage and whether you can install/setup it at your new address. If you move without notifying us, then we may not be able to provide service to you."
    Thanks for catching that.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack T. Chance View Post
    If there are so many restrictions and lack of coverage, why are they showcasing it in Walmart stores? Many of my local Walmart stores are in areas that do not have Verizon UWB and "surplus capacity".

Device(s)
    Galaxy J7 Sky Pro SM-S727VL, Galaxy J3 Sky SM-S230VL, ZTE Z723EL, ZTE Z233VL
    Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk, Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I know Omaha has mmWave 5G, but most of the address that I have tried on Straight Talk's site does not work.

I am not sure if the Omaha Walmarts are showcasing this or not.

I know Sioux City does not have mmWave, but Walmart is showcasing it for sure because I have had a number of family and friends asking me about this device.

Feedback Score
    From my understanding, UltraWide 5G has basically 2 types. So called mmwave which is just in cities with a pod every block due to high frequency limited range of only a few blocks. Or in stadiums with allot of people. That has the fastest speed Verizon brags about and thus allot of capacity. The other UltraWide 5G called c-band being rolled out slowly between now thru 2024 in more areas isn't the same speed wise but still plenty and thus also capable of more capacity. The general range I've heard but no one can put a finger on is maybe 2 miles. So don't plan on it if your nearest tower is farther without allot of tower infill.
    So either mmwave 5G or c-band 5G (both considered UW5G) is what the Home Internet cube is really meant for, unless you're in an LTE area where the capacity can handle a bunch of people maxing data on a daily basis.

The other 5G which most of us can get, so called NationWide 5G (DSS) is an entirely different animal. simply sharing LTE frequencies and not much better then LTE with basically the same range and still challenged by capacity.

That's just my basic understanding of it. You more technically savy folks can make corrections.
    ATT and TMO similarly have different levels of 5G technically and capability wise but they all market it as simply 5G like it's all the same. You need to catch the fine print that flashes on your TV screen, that you can't read, to find out you can't use what they're selling at your location.

I'll just add, when a phone says it's 5G that doesn't always mean all the types of 5G.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rpz1 View Post
    I'll just add, when a phone says it's 5G that doesn't always mean all the types of 5G.
    Yep, most devices except the latest and most expensive can't use the fast 5G bands at all. The phone retailers will sell you anything, and will not explain the present state of 5G. Quite a deception to the consumer!

Device(s)
    Unihertz Titan on T-Mobile, Unihertz TickTock on Verizon Wireless, Samsung Galaxy Tab Active Pro
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by loboheeler View Post
    If there are so many restrictions and lack of coverage, why are they showcasing it in Walmart stores? Many of my local Walmart stores are in areas that do not have Verizon UWB and "surplus capacity".
    Because MARKETING! It's a marketing ploy to 1) show the FCC that they're making an effort to offer Landline Replacement Home Internet, even though they really don't want anyone to have such a service from them, and 2) to entice customers to switch to Verizon/Straight Talk from one of the other carriers, on the mistaken belief that Verizon's Network will give them more!

Like P.T. Barnum said... "There's a sucker born every minute!"

Feedback Score
    So I got my unit today, but I'm actually going to return it and go with TMobile home internet for my in-laws. Just out of curiosity though, I went through the activation portal all the way up to where it asked for a credit card. It looks like you can put in any random address where it's available and it'll allow you to activate it 😂

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by VisionsDivine View Post
    So I got my unit today, but I'm actually going to return it and go with TMobile home internet for my in-laws. Just out of curiosity though, I went through the activation portal all the way up to where it asked for a credit card. It looks like you can put in any random address where it's available and it'll allow you to activate it 😂
    See, that's the trick, what address do you use? Finding one of the, like, 5 addresses where you can actually activate it ain't easy!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast