Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 28

Thread: Does the Moto G Stylus 5G 6.8" Max Vision (XT2131DL) with Android 11 offer adoptable storage?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    230
    Carrier(s)
    Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    0

    Question Does the Moto G Stylus 5G 6.8" Max Vision (XT2131DL) with Android 11 offer adoptable storage?

    (Posted on Reddit, no useful reply, reposting here in the hopes of reaching a more suitable audience)

    Some phones that support SD cards only offers classic expandable storage, where the SD card functions as a more limited external storage, where apps can choose to not support being installed to, even if there are ways to possibly force it via ADB.

    Some phones offer a second more recent option, where the phone will encrypt the SD card to that specific phone (unless reformatted of course) and then it will function as a seamless extension of the internal storage, albeit with some speed penalty.

    So does the Moto G Stylus 5G 6.8" Max Vision (XT2131DL) with Android 11 support the newer adoptable storage option?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    7,153
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by SweetBearCub View Post
    ...Some phones offer a second more recent option, where the phone will encrypt the SD card to that specific phone (unless reformatted of course) and then it will function as a seamless extension of the internal storage, albeit with some speed penalty.

    So does the Moto G Stylus 5G 6.8" Max Vision (XT2131DL) with Android 11 support the newer adoptable storage option?
    News to me. Thanks.
    I will be Judged on how I helped the poor, sick & others in need; strangers & loved ones alike.

    My plans:
    Visible (Verizon) UTT & Unlimited Data $25/mo
    T-Mobile Gold Rewards $10yr exp 12.25.23

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    195
    Device(s)
    Nokia 6233
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by SweetBearCub View Post
    So does the Moto G Stylus 5G 6.8" Max Vision (XT2131DL) with Android 11 support the newer adoptable storage option?
    Have you ever done adoptable storage before? Adoptable storage is usually not a function of the phone but of the OS and Android 11 does support it. I was able to do a 80/20 mix on my Moto E 2020 running Android 10, previously Moto E5 running Android 8, and Moto E4 running Android 7. So safe to say you should be able to do it on a Moto G Stylus since Moto doesn't usually lock it down even on unrooted phone.

    Regardless of the OS, the ADB commands are the same but may need customization for specific device ID and percentage adopted if not using entire SD card.

    Starting with a blank SD (BEST) or already backed up SD card where you can restore the data back after format, follow the instructions below.

    You don't need to root your device
    You need to enabled Developer Options.
    Enable the USB Debugging option.
    Make sure your SD card is formatted as portable, then get the adb executable and Moto G Stylus Drivers.
    Connect your device to your PC and run the adb devices command. If your device is connected correctly you will see your device listed in the output.
    Run adb shell sm list-disks adoptable. This will show you the list of disks that can be used for what we want.
    For my device it showed me disk:179,128 so i ran adb shell sm partition disk:179,128 mixed 80 on my 128 GB Sandisk card. It gave me 20 GB as adoptable storage and the rest for other uses (Photo/Music/Data Storage or Transfer). (This will format your SD card.)

    Similar instructions here for Moto G7 Supra on 256GB card

    https://www.reddit.com/r/MotoG/comme...ernal_storage/

    keep in mind if you format the entire card as Adoptable it is encrypted and will not be readable when take out of the phone. Whereas if you split the SD card, the Portable Storage portion is readable while the Adoptable portion isn't

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    230
    Carrier(s)
    Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by hapollo8 View Post
    Have you ever done adoptable storage before?
    Yes, on multiple phones.

    Quote Originally Posted by hapollo8 View Post
    Adoptable storage is usually not a function of the phone but of the OS and Android 11 does support it. I was able to do a 80/20 mix on my Moto E 2020 running Android 10, previously Moto E5 running Android 8, and Moto E4 running Android 7. So safe to say you should be able to do it on a Moto G Stylus since Moto doesn't usually lock it down even on unrooted phone.
    Not all phones support it, regardless of OS version. For example, a friend's Samsung A32 5G does not support it.


    Quote Originally Posted by hapollo8 View Post
    Regardless of the OS, the ADB commands are the same but may need customization for specific device ID and percentage adopted if not using entire SD card.

    Starting with a blank SD (BEST) or already backed up SD card where you can restore the data back after format, follow the instructions below.

    You don't need to root your device but the device i done this with is rooted

    You need to enabled Developer Options.
    Enable the USB Debugging option.
    Make sure your SD card is formatted as portable, then get the adb executable and Moto G Stylus Drivers.
    Connect your device to your PC and run the adb devices command. If your device is connected correctly you will see your device listed in the output.
    Run adb shell sm list-disks adoptable. This will show you the list of disks that can be used for what we want.
    For my device it showed me disk:179,128 so i ran adb shell sm partition disk:179,128 mixed 80 on my 128 GB Sandisk card. It gave me 20 GB as adoptable storage and the rest for other uses. (This will format your SD card.)

    keep in mind if you format the entire card as Adoptable it is encrypted and will not be readable when take out of the phone.
    Thanks, but as I already own a phone that exposes the adoptable storage option, it's accessible through the phone settings.

    I just need to know if this specific phone supports it.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    195
    Device(s)
    Nokia 6233
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by SweetBearCub View Post

    Thanks, but as I already own a phone that exposes the adoptable storage option, it's accessible through the phone settings.
    I just need to know if this specific phone supports it.
    if you've done it before, and you see the adoptable storage options then it very simple to test it out. I've owned 5 Motorolas so far and have been able to do it on all of them. Maybe they changed it on Android 11? Don't have one to test out.

    Samsung tends to lock their phones down so take my Moto Experience for what it's worth or wait for someone else to confirm.

    With a blank SD card, ADB and Moto G Stylus Driver, you can have your answer within 5 mins vs waiting hours for someone else to post.

    You can always format it back as portable within the phone afterwards and do it again to change the percentage to your requirements and when done right, no harm will come to the SD card since it's already a blank SD to begin with.

    What's preventing you from trying since you already see the option there?
    Last edited by hapollo8; 10-28-2022 at 02:22 AM.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    230
    Carrier(s)
    Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by hapollo8 View Post
    if you've done it before, and you see the adoptable storage options then it very simple to test it out. I've owned 5 Motorolas so far and have been able to do it on all of them. Maybe they changed it on Android 11? Don't have one to test out.

    Samsung tends to lock their phones down so take my Moto Experience for what it's worth or wait for someone else to confirm.

    With a blank SD card, ADB and Moto G Stylus Driver, you can have your answer within 5 mins vs waiting hours for someone else to post.

    You can always format it back as portable within the phone afterwards and do it again to change the percentage to your requirements and when done right, no harm will come to the SD card since it's already a blank SD to begin with.

    What's preventing you from trying since you already see the option there?
    I don't yet have the phone in question, this is a pre-purchase question.

    I thought it would be obvious that a person would not ask such a simple question about a device they already owned and could check in 15 seconds.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    195
    Device(s)
    Nokia 6233
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by SweetBearCub View Post
    (Posted on Reddit, no useful reply, reposting here in the hopes of reaching a more suitable audience)

    Some phones that support SD cards only offers classic expandable storage, where the SD card functions as a more limited external storage, where apps can choose to not support being installed to, even if there are ways to possibly force it via ADB.

    Some phones offer a second more recent option, where the phone will encrypt the SD card to that specific phone (unless reformatted of course) and then it will function as a seamless extension of the internal storage, albeit with some speed penalty.

    So does the Moto G Stylus 5G 6.8" Max Vision (XT2131DL) with Android 11 support the newer adoptable storage option?

    Quote Originally Posted by SweetBearCub View Post
    Yes, on multiple phones.

    Not all phones support it, regardless of OS version. For example, a friend's Samsung A32 5G does not support it.


    Thanks, but as I already own a phone that exposes the adoptable storage option, it's accessible through the phone settings.

    I just need to know if this specific phone supports it.
    Quote Originally Posted by SweetBearCub View Post
    I don't yet have the phone in question, this is a pre-purchase question.

    I thought it would be obvious that a person would not ask such a simple question about a device they already owned and could check in 15 seconds.
    I was never posted as a pre-purchase question until now. it started off as an explanation of adoptable storage on phones in general then if anyone has done it on a G Stylus. If it does, the instructions I posted will help if you want to split it. The exposed option on most phones is a all or nothing option not a percent mix which is nice if you ever want to take the SD card out to transfer data quicker.


    Hope you find your answer.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    230
    Carrier(s)
    Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by hapollo8 View Post
    I was never posted as a pre-purchase question until now. it started off as an explanation of adoptable storage on phones in general then if anyone has done it on a G Stylus. Hope you find your answer. If it does, the instructions I posted will
    Why would I ask about a phone that I might already own and could check in 15 seconds?

    I would hope that would be obvious.

    Also owning "a" phone does not mean I own the phone in question.

    Thank you.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    195
    Device(s)
    Nokia 6233
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by SweetBearCub View Post
    Why would I ask about a phone that I might already own and could check in 15 seconds?

    I would hope that would be obvious.

    Also owning "a" phone does not mean I own the phone in question.

    Thank you.
    sorry if it wasn't obvious I was only trying to help. Good luck in finding your answer. BYE

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    6,729
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by SweetBearCub View Post
    Yes, on multiple phones.



    Not all phones support it, regardless of OS version. For example, a friend's Samsung A32 5G does not support it.




    Thanks, but as I already own a phone that exposes the adoptable storage option, it's accessible through the phone settings.

    I just need to know if this specific phone supports it.
    if the phone has android 9 or higher then it can use adoptable storage.
    on phones 7.0-8.1 file-based encryption (FBE) can't be used together with adoptable storage. On devices using FBE, new storage media (such as an SD card) must be used as traditional storage

    see here for more info - https://source.android.com/docs/core/storage/adoptable

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    230
    Carrier(s)
    Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by october262 View Post
    if the phone has android 9 or higher then it can use adoptable storage.
    on phones 7.0-8.1 file-based encryption (FBE) can't be used together with adoptable storage. On devices using FBE, new storage media (such as an SD card) must be used as traditional storage

    see here for more info - https://source.android.com/docs/core/storage/adoptable
    I know that is a feature of later Android versions, but not all phones support it, thus why I am asking about this specific phone. For example, a friend's Samsung Galaxy A32 5G does not support it, despite running Android 11, if memory serves.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    4,124
    Device(s)
    iPhone SE 2022, Samsung A53 5G, Pixel 6a, iPhone 11, Samsung A51
    Carrier(s)
    TF/Verizon
    Feedback Score
    0
    I don't know this phone (not familar w/ motos in general) but I saw this thread here that talks a little bit about adoptable storage and recent moto models:

    https://www.reddit.com/r/motorola/co...table_storage/

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    230
    Carrier(s)
    Prepaid
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by tomseys View Post
    I don't know this phone (not familar w/ motos in general) but I saw this thread here that talks a little bit about adoptable storage and recent moto models:

    https://www.reddit.com/r/motorola/co...table_storage/
    Interesting link, thank you.

    According to it, the odds for adoptable storage being enabled in settings is not looking good.

    This is why I asked specifically about this model, not just based on what I know Android can normally do.

    "Far as I'm aware Motorola phone's, out-of-the-box, do not allow SD cards to be formatted as adoptable storage anymore only as expandable storage."

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    4,124
    Device(s)
    iPhone SE 2022, Samsung A53 5G, Pixel 6a, iPhone 11, Samsung A51
    Carrier(s)
    TF/Verizon
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by SweetBearCub View Post
    Interesting link, thank you.

    According to it, the odds for adoptable storage being enabled in settings is not looking good.
    Yeah it looks like just in general Motorolla may not allow it anymore (I guess "out of the box"):

    https://www.reddit.com/r/MotoG/comme...table_storage/

    Thanks for reaching out, u/Pheckphul. Adoptable Storage or setting the SD Card as internal storage is no longer supported on newer Motorola devices. - Mike
    https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/motorol...ge/m-p/5119690

    The Moto One 5G Ace only supports portable storage. Adoptable storage or the ability to format an SD Card as internal storage was available on Android Pie. Unfortunately this feature has been permanently removed from Android 10+ and above.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    4,124
    Device(s)
    iPhone SE 2022, Samsung A53 5G, Pixel 6a, iPhone 11, Samsung A51
    Carrier(s)
    TF/Verizon
    Feedback Score
    0
    There is also more here (I think this is the phone):

    https://motorola-global-portal.custh...%20to%201%20TB.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. When does the Moto. V6 PEBL come out on the market
    By TheVille07 in forum Motorola
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-10-2005, 10:43 AM
  2. Does the Moto V220 work with MPT?
    By labratt104 in forum Motorola
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-23-2004, 04:12 PM
  3. Replies: 22
    Last Post: 12-21-2004, 08:00 AM
  4. does the moto v635 truly exist?
    By akademixjeanuiz in forum Motorola
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-26-2004, 04:36 PM
  5. Does The Moto V400 Exist?
    By peestandingup in forum AT&T
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 11-13-2003, 11:05 AM

Bookmarks