Thread: Been out of the loop awhile...how to ensure BYOP will work with the new network requiring VoLTE?

Device(s)
    LG V35, V20, iPhone SE, Moto E4, Galaxy Go Prime, Galaxy J3 Sky
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score

Question Been out of the loop awhile...how to ensure BYOP will work with the new network requiring VoLTE?

Basically wondering what my topic's title is- Been out of the loop awhile...how to ensure BYOP will work with the new network requiring VoLTE?

Got burned last year with a supposedly "unlocked" LG G8 which was actually an originally Tmobile phone, just GSM unlocked. However, it did NOT support the bands or whatever the phones require to have VoLTE. Further mudding the waters is, are Verizon branded phones the only for sure "safe" BYOP phones to get, I heard rumors of the now Verizon owned Tracfone eventually rendering ATT phones obsolete

I've been using an iphone SE 2nd gen, actual TF Verizon "branded" but, the small screen and physical home button are two things I dislike...viewing vids/media on it isn't the best experience...I also honestly dislike typing on it, as a grown man I find it a bit cramped to type on, if I could find a 2nd hand good specced phone cheap enough with a bigger screen that'd be nice. I.E. a slightly older cheap android flagship. I know that phones require VOLTE now, but, that's about all I've been told or heard people talk about, just a very vague "it needs it", no more in-depth discussion whatsoever on VoLTE....is there maybe a VoLTE phone directory listing them all? Is TF being owned by Verizon another complication in the matter? Would getting a slighty older ATT branded android flagship work, after obviously putting in APN settings?

Device(s)
    Galaxy J7 Sky Pro SM-S727VL, Galaxy J3 Sky SM-S230VL, ZTE Z723EL, ZTE Z233VL
    Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk, Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    If you get a phone model that was made in the last 3 to 4 years that says it works with Verizon towers, you should be good.

I know there is a few models from other companies that might work. Just make sure you do not get an international model. They do not work that well any more.

If you buy used, just be careful. There has been a few stories of people getting issues with the IMEI.

You can not really activate AT&T or T-Mobile based SIMs any more since Verizon bought Tracfone.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I activated an unlocked T-Mobile LG G8 on a TMobile based SIM about 3 months ago. It works fine, but may not be usable after November 2023. I have an offer for a free TF phone that can be used on the VZ network, but they don't have any available inventory for that program at the moment.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    "PHL1365
    I activated an unlocked T-Mobile LG G8 on a TMobile based SIM about 3 months ago. It works fine, but may not be usable after November 2023. I have an offer for a free TF phone that can be used on the VZ network, but they don't have any available inventory for that program at the moment."

ah, I see. Tmobile gets pretty cruddy signal in my rural area, and basically non existent inside the last I tried, so I stuck with ATT BYOP sims for years, VZ also gets good signal here. The unlocked tmobile G8 wouldn't get volte on a byop att sim, kept giving me texts about my phone not being compatible with the new network earlier this year.

"advcomp2019
    If you get a phone model that was made in the last 3 to 4 years that says it works with Verizon towers, you should be good.

I know there is a few models from other companies that might work. Just make sure you do not get an international model. They do not work that well any more.

If you buy used, just be careful. There has been a few stories of people getting issues with the IMEI.

You can not really activate AT&T or T-Mobile based SIMs any more since Verizon bought Tracfone."

ah...will the byop sim kits not work anymore? I know they used to include a vz sim, tmo, and att sim. I found a good deal on a slightly older ATT brand android flagship I'd like to get and use with a tf byop att sim, but, as I found out verizon bought them out, am not sure how it'd work at present time.

Device(s)
    Samsung A53 5G. Samsung A03s
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon, FreedomPop
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteSnake91 View Post
    ah...will the byop sim kits not work anymore? I know they used to include a vz sim, tmo, and att sim. I found a good deal on a slightly older ATT brand android flagship I'd like to get and use with a tf byop att sim, but, as I found out verizon bought them out, am not sure how it'd work at present time.
    Dollar General is still selling the TF BYOP sim kits. I haven't seen a sim kit in a long while until yesterday. The last sim kit I had or seen was in a large plastic pack. This one is a small folded up card stock package.

Name:  TFKit2.jpg
Views: 101
Size:  76.6 KB
    Samsung A53 5G (Verizon)

Device(s)
    iPhone SE 2022, Samsung A53 5G, Pixel 6a, Samsung A51
    Carrier(s)
    TF/Verizon
    Feedback Score
    It seems Tracfone no longer sells the TF/T-mobile and TF/AT&T BYOP sims:

https://www.tracfone.com/kyop/simcards

Feedback Score
    If you live in an area that has Verizon service, forget about ATT or TMO on TF. There are other ATT mvno's that you can use but make sure the phone is on the att whitelist (just google ATT compatible phones for a link to the lists). Check the model #, not just the model name.

Device(s)
    Galaxy J7 Sky Pro SM-S727VL, Galaxy J3 Sky SM-S230VL, ZTE Z723EL, ZTE Z233VL
    Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk, Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    From what I heard from other user, AT&T and T-Mobile based SIMs are still out there in select stores, but they are making them hard to activate tho.

That is why I said Verizon in my original comment.

If you want AT&T towers, you will need to switch to another provider.

Another thing is some flagship phones can be used other providers and tower carriers. I will give you one example. An AT&T Galaxy S21 is the same internally as the Verizon Galaxy S21 and unlocked Galaxy S21, but there is a firmware difference with them, but you can switch the firmware tho. There might be other phones like that, but you need to make sure the IMEI works with Verizon tho.

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Verizon knows that when they kill AT&T and T-Mobile service those customers who need it will then leave.
    So Verizon may be toying with those users who they are going to lose anyway.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tomseys View Post
    It seems Tracfone no longer sells the TF/T-mobile and TF/AT&T BYOP sims:

https://www.tracfone.com/kyop/simcards
    They do on eBay, $60 with 1yr 1200 plan

likely last stock

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Thanks for the info, I'll keep my eyes out for an actual verizon branded phone to try, kinda wanting as less hassle as humanly possible lol

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the info, I'll keep my eyes out for an actual verizon branded phone to try, kinda wanting as less hassle as humanly possible lol
    All new phones sold by TF are 100% VZW compatible.

I've got dozens of Moto Powers, they work perfectly on TMO ATT as well just like iPhones and Pixels and high end Samsungs.