Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 45

Thread: Looking for new phone

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Central New Jersey
    Posts
    68
    Device(s)
    Wiko Life 2, Samsung A01
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone, Assurance Wireless
    Feedback Score
    0

    Looking for new phone

    I have been looking for a new phone and the Tracfone Samsung Galaxy A13 5G (model S136DL) does seem to be a decent fit.

    The phone would be a backup. I see it for sale on HSN for $139.99 with 1500 min/text/data for 365 days. And would combine it's buckets with those of a unlocked Tracfone Samsung Galaxy A01 (not a byo phone was Tracfone locked) that has to be renewed by the 26th of this month using Verizon as the carrier under Tracfone.

    The A01 has about 2800 minutes left, 2800 texts and 2.92 GB in it's buckets.

    My question is this an OK phone? Not expecting too much of this phone. I want to keep the phone number I have as it is a very old family known number.

    Also looked at the Moto G Power and it does not seem to have what the Samsung has to offer.

    Am I buying the right phone? And will I be able to keep the phone number from the other phone and combine the buckets together? I ask this as the Verizon takeover might cause problems that were not there in the past.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    12,449
    Device(s)
    Samsung S22, Samsung A51, Pixel 4a
    Carrier(s)
    TF/Verizon, Walmart Freedompop, FreeUP AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by mkendallpk View Post
    My question is this an OK phone? Not expecting too much of this phone. I want to keep the phone number I have as it is a very old family known number.

    Am I buying the right phone? And will I be able to keep the phone number from the other phone and combine the buckets together? I ask this as the Verizon takeover might cause problems that were not there in the past.
    I don't have the A13 5G so I won't comment on it.

    After receiving the HSN phone, contact TF using Chat and tell the rep "I'd like to ACTIVATE a new phone WITH A TRANSFER from my current phone with number xxx-xxx-xxxx". The rep will ask for the IMEI and SIM number of the new phone, and text a security code to your current phone. Once you've provided the security code, the rep will TRANSFER service (phone number, buckets, days) from your current phone to the new phone, then the bundled buckets and days will be added on top of the old buckets/days.

    When talking to a rep, don't use the word COMBINE because that implies combining buckets/days from two ACTIVE phones into one phone then deactivate the "donor" phone.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Central New Jersey
    Posts
    68
    Device(s)
    Wiko Life 2, Samsung A01
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone, Assurance Wireless
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    I don't have the A13 5G so I won't comment on it.

    After receiving the HSN phone, contact TF using Chat and tell the rep "I'd like to ACTIVATE a new phone WITH A TRANSFER from my current phone with number xxx-xxx-xxxx". The rep will ask for the IMEI and SIM number of the new phone, and text a security code to your current phone. Once you've provided the security code, the rep will TRANSFER service (phone number, buckets, days) from your current phone to the new phone, then the bundled buckets and days will be added on top of the old buckets/days.

    When talking to a rep, don't use the word COMBINE because that implies combining buckets/days from two ACTIVE phones into one phone then deactivate the "donor" phone.
    Thank you for the advice. I somehow thought it was combine. But, that is why I come here for the expertise of others like yourself.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    BP subsidized Gulf Coast
    Posts
    8,439
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    0
    Do you really need 5G speed with data? The extra they charge for 5G could get you a better phone for the same money.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    7,114
    Feedback Score
    0
    This is a comparison of the 3 phones. Added the Moto 2021 cause I wasn't sure.
    https://www.phonescoop.com/phones/co...6586,6582,6386
    I will be Judged on how I helped the poor, sick & others in need; strangers & loved ones alike.

    My plans:
    Visible (Verizon) UTT & Unlimited Data $25/mo
    T-Mobile Gold Rewards $10yr exp 01.03.23

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Southwest Michigan, USA
    Posts
    4,423
    Device(s)
    LG Aristo 2 Plus (T-Mo); Moto G Power 2020 (PPC)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile Prepaid & Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    0
    I think the A13 is a 5G model.

    HoFo member Island Boy might have some experience with it.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    So Cal
    Posts
    360
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Tracfancier View Post
    Do you really need 5G speed with data? The extra they charge for 5G could get you a better phone for the same money.
    My understanding is that Verizon 5G is not worth paying for. The coverage is very limited. I have T-Mobile 5G (no additional cost) and I get speedtests in excess of 300 MBPS, but it really isn't noticeably better than 4G LTE.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    California Gold Country
    Posts
    8,361
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Tracfancier View Post
    Do you really need 5G speed with data? The extra they charge for 5G could get you a better phone for the same money.
    We are talking about Tracfone 5G here, and that is the same as Verizon Nationwide at no premium price. Verizon does not provide Ultra Wideband 5G to Tracfone users, and i doubt any Tracfone branded phones are capable.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Southwest Michigan, USA
    Posts
    4,423
    Device(s)
    LG Aristo 2 Plus (T-Mo); Moto G Power 2020 (PPC)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile Prepaid & Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    0
    Verizon Ultra Wideband is barely built-out in most major cities according to what I read; moving the needle even less in smaller towns. And to receive it (even with a capable device) is a hit or miss proposition. Very short range. You might connect if you're walking on a street where the antenna arrays are mounted, or sitting in a window of your apartment that borders that same street. But go inside to an interior room and you'll lose the signal. It's of minimal importance (IMO).

    Therefore, don't let it be a factor in what wets your whistle as far as tech lust.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    California Gold Country
    Posts
    8,361
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by whacker View Post
    Verizon Ultra Wideband is barely built-out in most major cities according to what I read; moving the needle even less in smaller towns.
    Ultra Wideband is also C-Band, which will be deployed much more widely and has decent range compared to mmWave. It's still going to be limited to later model high end phones on premium Verizon plans.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Central New Jersey
    Posts
    68
    Device(s)
    Wiko Life 2, Samsung A01
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone, Assurance Wireless
    Feedback Score
    0
    I decided to take a chance and ordered the phone from HSN. It should be here by Monday.

    And yes, it is the 5 G model of the A13. It is also supposed to come with a charging brick. That is what tilted me toward getting it from HSN.

    I will report back when I get it and have gotten the phone on TF Verizon.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Central Oregon
    Posts
    432
    Device(s)
    LG V20,Google Pixel 2XL
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone-since 2005
    Feedback Score
    0
    I had the same dilema. Some of the guys on this board bought a Moto G Stylus 4g 2021. Gotta tell you, it's the best Phone I've ever owned. Replaced my Google Pixel3xl.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    717
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by tlippy View Post
    I had the same dilema. Some of the guys on this board bought a Moto G Stylus 4g 2021. Gotta tell you, it's the best Phone I've ever owned. Replaced my Google Pixel3xl.
    I got a Moto G Stylus 2021 with Rewards Points but I haven't used it much yet.
    I have a Moto G Power as my 2nd phone. I just took it traveling for a couple weeks and I used it a lot for web browsing and reading my ebooks.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    California between Fresno and Yosemite.
    Posts
    2,696
    Device(s)
    LG phones, Motorola, ZTE, occasional Alcatel
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone/VZ
    Feedback Score
    0
    I haven't bought a Stylus yet but maybe I should. If the price goes down much it might sell out. A number of models but I'm not fussy, it just needs to work as a mini tablet. It sounds nice though and thank you for the comments about it.

    Sent from my moto g(7) optimo maxx(XT1955DL) using HoFo mobile app

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    California Gold Country
    Posts
    8,361
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by WheelieBoot View Post
    I haven't bought a Stylus yet but maybe I should. If the price goes down much it might sell out.
    Moto G Stylus 2021 refurb is still available for $50 on the TF website. Superb deal!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Looking for new phone - GD55 SUCKS!
    By pimaza in forum AT&T
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 10-30-2003, 01:06 AM
  2. Nokia 3360 broke...looking for new phone $100 or less
    By txaggie04ci in forum Non GSM phone Buy/Sell/Trade
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-27-2003, 10:40 AM
  3. looking for new phone.
    By Loudin in forum TELUS/Koodo/Public Mobile
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-17-2003, 03:14 PM
  4. looking for new phone.
    By Loudin in forum Samsung
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-17-2003, 12:03 PM
  5. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-22-2003, 10:59 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks