Thread: Q Link Lifeline Service

Device(s)
    LG phones, Motorola, ZTE, occasional Alcatel
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone/VZ
    Feedback Score

Q Link Lifeline Service

Has anyone had service with Q Link? I came across the website and thought it might be an option for people needing a Lifeline service.

https://qlinkwireless.com

Sent from my moto g power (XT2041DL) using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    I have only heard (very) bad things about them. I've linked just two sources, there are a lot of negative comments on youtube, as well.

https://topclassactions.com/lawsuit-...fraud-tactics/
    https://www.freegovernmentcellphones...comment-309622

Carrier(s)
    Twigby & Tello
    Feedback Score
    I've never dealt with Q Link, but I'm pretty happy with the service of their sister company, Hello Mobile. If you have good T-Mobile service in your area (I do here), $5 per month (which includes taxes and fees) is pretty good for unlimited talk and text and half a GB of data. I mostly use phones for text and talking. Very little data usage.
    Pixel 3a on Tello — Alcatel Go Flip 3 on Tello — AGM M7 on Hello Mobile — iPhone SE on FreedomPop — TCL Flip 2 on Tracfone

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone/VZ
    Feedback Score
    I had Hello Mobile and didn't like it. They activated the SIM before shipment and all the time it was en route through the mail, it was deducting phone calls that couldn't be possible because it wasn't in a phone. I was able to track the info in my account. It required the registration of cc or dc for monthly charges and I don't like services that require it. But I tried it for the lure of cheap service.

I cancelled my service before the SIM ever arrived (two weeks at least).

That's just my experience. I've seen other posts in the forum saying they liked Hello Mobile. But for me it was Bye Bye Hello Mobile.

Sent from my LM-X320 using HoFo mobile app

Carrier(s)
    Twigby & Tello
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WheelieBoot View Post
    I had Hello Mobile and didn't like it. They activated the SIM before shipment and all the time it was en route through the mail, it was deducting phone calls that couldn't be possible because it wasn't in a phone. I was able to track the info in my account. It required the registration of cc or dc for monthly charges and I don't like services that require it. But I tried it for the lure of cheap service.

I cancelled my service before the SIM ever arrived (two weeks at least).

That's just my experience. I've seen other posts in the forum saying they liked Hello Mobile. But for me it was Bye Bye Hello Mobile.
    I didn't have any problem with the SIM being pre-activated (it did take about 10 days to get here) but, even though I was able to activate the phone just by inserting the SIM, the first week or so I wasn't able to log into Hello Mobile -- it was down, I guess. After the website came back up I haven't had any problem with it since. I think when I ordered the SIM they said my billing cycle would start after I activated the phone, so maybe they changed how it works now.

Device(s)
    Samsung S22, Samsung A51, Pixel 4a
    Carrier(s)
    TF/Verizon, Walmart Freedompop, FreeUP AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Has anyone had service with Q Link?
    My son qualifies for Lifeline & ACP because he has disabilities. In August, I signed him up with Qlink because they have the promotion where you get a Pixel 6a and a tablet for $259.01 ($249 for Pixel 6a and $10.01 for the tablet) if you use your Lifeline & ACP benefits. We received all the items but in separate shipments (Pixel 6a shipped by Amazon, Qlink SIM card came in the mail, the tablet delivered by UPS). I'm used to dealing with Tracfone site and activating their phones, and doing those things with Qlink is no better or worse. The Pixel 6a and Qlink service through T-mo are fine. The cheap tablet is a piece of junk, clunky, underpowered, slow, etc.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone/VZ
    Feedback Score
    Thank you for offering info.

Does QLink provide free phones (other than the tablet offer). I didn't see any mentioned, just SIM for a BYOP. Which, granted the low quality of some Lifeline devices, it might be better off doing BYOP with an unlocked TracFone.

For the over $200 price, there should have been a much better quality product. There are good tablets and phones for roughly $100 each if you have to pay for your own (as you well know, but it seems chintzy to offer a crude device).

Sent from my LGL64VL using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Does QLink provide free phones (other than the tablet offer). I didn't see any mentioned, just SIM for a BYOP. Which, granted the low quality of some Lifeline devices, it might be better off doing BYOP with an unlocked TracFone.

For the over $200 price, there should have been a much better quality product. There are good tablets and phones for roughly $100 each if you have to pay for your own (as you well know, but it seems chintzy to offer a crude device)
    From what is shown on their web site, Qlink doesn't offer a free phone outright. You can get the SIM for free, or pay $10.01 for the tablet + SIM, or $29.95 for the table + a phone + SIM. They always try to sell you the tablet for $10.01 because I think they'll bill the ACP program $100 for the tablet and there's some kind of stipulation that you have to pay a copay of >$10, so they make you pay $10.01.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone/VZ
    Feedback Score
    Given the miseries of cheap "freebies" I would rather provide my own low priced device. The SIM in an unlocked Motorola E would be fine if the service is decent.

Sent from my LGL64VL using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    Pixel 7, 6a, 4a 5G, iPhone 11, iPhone XR, OnePlus Nord N10 5G, Moto One 5G Ace, Moto G Stylus 2021
    Carrier(s)
    Google Fi, T-Mobile Data Plan, FreedomPop Walmart Free Plan, TracFone on Verizon, AT&T and T-Mobile.
    Feedback Score
    hpham,

I'm curious if the Pixel 6a was unlocked or locked to T-Mobile? I almost ordered one myself but went with the Google Fi subscription program and got mine for $10 month for 24 months. So far I've gotten enough referrals to pay most of my flexible plans service payments along with trade in credits.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cellular-dude View Post
    hpham,

I'm curious if the Pixel 6a was unlocked or locked to T-Mobile?
    Sorry for the late reply. The Pixel 6a is unlocked (shipped from Amazon). I put in a FreeUP AT&T SIM, changed the APN, and it works fine.