Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Tracfone Current Web Site - Awful - Nightmare - Too Complicated

Feedback Score

Tracfone Current Web Site - Awful - Nightmare - Too Complicated

All I wished to do was to transfer phone number and minutes from old phone to new phone.
    Both are a Tracfone brand.

There are so many questions. Way too much information. Road blocks. Dead ends. Click the wrong box and travel down a rabit hole.

All used to be easy - when Carlos Slim owned Tracfone.

I pray to God that Verizon does not **** it all up

Device(s)
    Samsung S22, Samsung A51, Pixel 4a
    Carrier(s)
    TF/Verizon, Walmart Freedompop, FreeUP AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
    All I wished to do was to transfer phone number and minutes from old phone to new phone.
    Both are a Tracfone brand.

There are so many questions. Way too much information. Road blocks. Dead ends. Click the wrong box and travel down a rabit hole.
    It is what it is, and it's not that bad.
    1. Log into your TF account on the new web site.
    2. Click on ACTIVATE. Tell it that it's a TF-branded phone. Provide the IMEI and/or SIM number of the new phone. Tell it you want to use the physical SIM.
    3. Choose Keep My Phone Number. Select/enter the phone number of your current phone. Submit. That's it.

Feedback Score
    I like to use their automated phone service when activating or transferring service since it is much easier. When transferring service and number to new phone, it will only ask you two questions and you are done: Your current phone number (will text you for phone # confirmation), and IMEI of the new phone. No internet needed

Feedback Score
    In the Carlos Slim days of Tracfone.

Old Tracfone to a new Tracfone.

Go to tracfone.com. Got red cards in front of me. Enter the old phone number and IMEI. Then enter new Tracfone IMEI. Maybe SIM number, can't remember. Done.

Not anymore.

Device(s)
    LG V20,Google Pixel 2XL
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone-since 2005
    Feedback Score
    Took me 3 days to switch to a new phone. Most important was the screen shot of the buckets on both phones. Perseverance and a high IQ are necessary commodities for long term use of TF, IMHO. Not just blowing smoke but I quit suggesting TF after the 3rd time because most people don't have what it takes to be a successful TF user. I've never had any experience with other providers. My only provider has been TF. Also did BYOP since it became available. No more. I'm sticking with TF offerings. My Moto G Stylus 2021 is the best phone I've used. TF Not possible for me without this board

Feedback Score
    I just used the website to transfer service from an old phone to a new phone. Literally took less than 10 minutes and the new phone was working with the correct account balance and everything. It was a line that had a low amount of service on it, so low risk.

I have another TF line with a high service balance. When I move that to a new phone I will use chat to make sure I don't lose any of that service.

Up in the New Mexico mountains where the cougars run free and are covered with snow! Breathe the FRESH AIR, there!
    Device(s)
    Do, Help me get my little girl off the phone! She talks too much causing her mommy a lot of money!
    Carrier(s)
    BYOP works the best! HAVE YOU EVER BEEN ABLE TO USE TRACFONE ON ALL CARRIERS LIKE HSN claims?
    Feedback Score
    You moles need to go back in your holes.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by eohippus View Post
    I just used the website to transfer service from an old phone to a new phone. Literally took less than 10 minutes and the new phone was working with the correct account balance and everything.
    What questions did the website ask you?

When I tried. It asked for an email address and a PIN. I have no clue if I ever provided an email address or any PIN.

Maybe I was in the wrong section. But could not complete transfer on web site this way.

Did you have to provide an email address and a PIN ?

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Did you have to provide an email address and a PIN ?
    When I activated a new phone with a transfer on the new web site, I didn't have to provide an email address or PIN. I just needed to log into my TF account and did steps 2 & 3 as I wrote in my post #2 above.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    It is what it is, and it's not that bad.
    1. Log into your TF account on the new web site.
    2. Click on ACTIVATE. Tell it that it's a TF-branded phone. Provide the IMEI and/or SIM number of the new phone. Tell it you want to use the physical SIM.
    3. Choose Keep My Phone Number. Select/enter the phone number of your current phone. Submit. That's it.
    Is this better method than activation via chat? What are the factors to consider between these 2 options?

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by acegolfer View Post
    Is this better method than activation via chat? What are the factors to consider between these 2 options?
    Either way will have the same result if things go right. Using Chat puts the responsibility on the rep to fix the problem if something goes wrong. Doing it yourself and you'll have a hard time getting a rep to fix the problem if the balances didn't transfer correctly or your phone number is lost during the transfer.

Device(s)
    LG V20,Google Pixel 2XL
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone-since 2005
    Feedback Score
    HP-During my transfer I lost both-bucket + phone number I've had since 2019. Almost had a coronary. The 4th call to Florida got it fixed. Even got an xtra gb of data-which being an honest guy tried to give back. Just took a calm demeanor, patience and didn't let my panty hose get pinched.

Feedback Score
    It asked for an email address and a PIN. I have no clue if I ever provided an email address or any PIN.
    I learned decades ago, keep detailed notes on every scrap of information you provide to vendors with such crappy CS and over-automated systems.

Timestamped amounts for transactions, screenshots before and after, details of cards used, everything requested setting up your user profile...

Sometimes comes to the rescue a decade later.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulCrawhorne View Post
    I learned decades ago, keep detailed notes on every scrap of information you provide to vendors with such crappy CS and over-automated systems.

Timestamped amounts for transactions, screenshots before and after, details of cards used, everything requested setting up your user profile...

Sometimes comes to the rescue a decade later.
    Anecdote.
    I purchased a Tracfone time/minutes card on/from e/bay.
    Added to phone with zero problems.

BUT 2 months later.
    Got call from Tracfone Security.
    The minutes card was valid. But the card had been purchased with a stolen credit card by e/bay seller.
    Tracfone Security stated that the card was invalid and that Tracfone could take/remove the time from my phone.
    But out of courtesy - they let me keep the time/minutes.

Never again did I purchase anything Tracfone from e/bay.

Feedback Score
    Anecdote.
    I purchased a Tracfone time/minutes card on/from e/bay.
    Added to phone with zero problems.

BUT 2 months later.
    Got call from Tracfone Security.
    The minutes card was valid. But the card had been purchased with a stolen credit card by e/bay seller.
    Tracfone Security stated that the card was invalid and that Tracfone could take/remove the time from my phone.
    But out of courtesy - they let me keep the time/minutes.

Never again did I purchase anything Tracfone from e/bay.
    I am assuming the card wasn't purchased from the ebay store on Tracfone but some other private seller?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast