Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 34

Thread: Orbic Journey V (RC2200L)

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    155
    Device(s)
    Xperia X, iPhone 7, iPhone SE2, Galaxy A51, LG Classic Flip
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Cricket, Tracfone (VZ), Tracfone (AT&T), FreedomPop (GSMT)
    Feedback Score
    0

    Orbic Journey V (RC2200L)

    Reliance Orbic Journey V (RC2200L), no "D" or "V" just "L".

    Tracfone Orbic Journey V (2) + 1 Year of Service with 1200 MIN/1200 TXT/1200MB @ Tracfone eBay store
    $49.99 for 2x flip phones.

    https://www.ebay.com/itm/285030288045

    https://support.tracfone.com/deviceh...rney-v-rc2200l

    Seems to be a Verizon network only phone, LTE Bands 2, 4, 5, 13. Checking the specs, it's missing some T-Mobile bands, no Band 12/17 nor Band 71. *edit* Amazingly, it can do VoLTE on T-Mobile. DOES NOT work on nor AT&T. No Orbic phones at all on AT&T whitelist.

    Qualcomm Snapdragon 210 (1.1 GHz Quad Core Processor)
    1 GB RAM, 8 GB ROM (5.8 GB usable)
    2.8" 240 x 320 screen
    1400 mAh Battery
    AOSP 8.1
    micro USB port

    Seems to have pretty bad reviews. This has been listed for $39.99 for a long time on Tracfone's own site for just the phone, no service.
    https://www.tracfone.com/phone/orbic-journey-v-prepaid
    https://www.verizon.com/basic-phones/orbic-journey-v/

    Sold in plain white box as some have reported, not retail packaging. Should be new though. Probably repackaged old Verizon Pre-paid phones for clearance on Tracfone.
    Last edited by Slepy; 11-12-2022 at 09:50 PM. Reason: Updated specs, VoLTE correction

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    15,610
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Slepy View Post

    Seems to be a Verizon network only phone, LTE Bands 2, 4, 5, 13. Checking the specs, it's missing many T-Mobile bands, no Band 12/17, so DOES NOT work on T-Mobile nor AT&T.
    Well technically, T-Mobile does have LTE Band 2 & 4 in many places that it provides service. So it should work on T-Mobile.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    3,563
    Device(s)
    iPhone SE 2022, Samsung A53 5G, Pixel 6a, Samsung A51
    Carrier(s)
    TF/Verizon
    Feedback Score
    0
    One poster mentioned some kind of TF/Verizon Wi-Fi calling functionality on the TF branded Orbic Journey V flip here:

    https://www.howardforums.com/showthr...5#post17227255

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    155
    Device(s)
    Xperia X, iPhone 7, iPhone SE2, Galaxy A51, LG Classic Flip
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Cricket, Tracfone (VZ), Tracfone (AT&T), FreedomPop (GSMT)
    Feedback Score
    0
    Saw this on Slickdeals:

    2 Pack - Tracfone Orbic Journey 1 Year 1200 Bundle - $30 at HSN New Account coupon
    $49.99 - $20 coupon: HSN2022 = $29.99 + tax

    https://www.hsn.com/products/-/20737152

    New HSN account coupon: HSN2022
    Saves $20 off $40 or more, single item.
    Must be a new user/email/credit card

    2 phones + 2 car charger + 2 wired ear buds
    1200 minutes/text/MB data for 1 year for each phone

    Quote Originally Posted by jet1000 View Post
    Well technically, T-Mobile does have LTE Band 2 & 4 in many places that it provides service. So it should work on T-Mobile.
    You forget we are in the VoLTE era now. Just having a few bands that can connect is not enough. Without Band 12, this phone is probably NOT VoLTE certified on T-Mobile. 3G is gone, so it can only use LTE data on band 2 & 4 or drop down to 2G to make calls. Also, it seems some T-Mobile NVMOs are blocking non-VoLTE phones from even connecting to the network. Don't know if T-Mobile actual is doing that.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    2,519
    Carrier(s)
    Twigby & Tello
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Slepy View Post
    Seems to be a Verizon network only phone, LTE Bands 2, 4, 5, 13. Checking the specs, it's missing many T-Mobile bands, no Band 12/17, so DOES NOT work on T-Mobile nor AT&T. No Orbic phones at all on AT&T whitelist.
    Even if it's just a Verizon phone (which it looks like it is with band 13 and not much else) shouldn't it also have band 66 by now?
    Pixel 3a on Tello — Alcatel Go Flip 3 on Tello — AGM M7 on Hello Mobile — iPhone SE on FreedomPop — TCL Flip 2 on Tracfone

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    15,610
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Slepy View Post
    You forget we are in the VoLTE era now. Just having a few bands that can connect is not enough. Without Band 12, this phone is probably NOT VoLTE certified on T-Mobile. 3G is gone, so it can only use LTE data on band 2 & 4 or drop down to 2G to make calls. A
    T-Mobile uses VoLTE on Band 2 and Band 4 as does Verizon. Whether the phone has Band 12 or not, doesn't have anything to do with whether it is compatible with T-Mobile's VoLTE.

    I am activating my Orbics today, so in 61 days when they unlock, I test it with a T-Mobile SIM. In the meantime, I do not agree that the lack of band 12 itself is enough to say that it does not work on T-Mobile as you previously stated.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    155
    Device(s)
    Xperia X, iPhone 7, iPhone SE2, Galaxy A51, LG Classic Flip
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Cricket, Tracfone (VZ), Tracfone (AT&T), FreedomPop (GSMT)
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
    Even if it's just a Verizon phone (which it looks like it is with band 13 and not much else) shouldn't it also have band 66 by now?
    Band 66 is just a superset of band 4, so it's not that important. It just allows some extra speed/capacity. Verizon's main band is Band 13 as you have mentioned.

    Band 12 is T-Mobile main band. Band 17 for AT&T, which is a subset of Band 12. It's also missing Band 71 for T-Mobile, which a lot of people who purchase flip phones for T-Mobile wants for extended range/rural areas. But this budget flip was made for Verizon, so having VoLTE support for T-Mobile is a surprise without Band 12.

    Quote Originally Posted by jet1000 View Post
    T-Mobile uses VoLTE on Band 2 and Band 4 as does Verizon. Whether the phone has Band 12 or not, doesn't have anything to do with whether it is compatible with T-Mobile's VoLTE.
    I pulled an IMEI for this phone from a youtube video and ran it through the Mint BYOD checker. Amazingly, it actually gets VoLTE without band 12, so it's "partially compatible" with T-Mobile from the checker. But the other specs seems correct. No bands 12, 66, 71.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2022
    Posts
    21
    Feedback Score
    0
    I can’t resist the temptation, $30 bucks for 2 phones are just too good. In for 1 bundle.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    408
    Feedback Score
    0
    In the past, whenever I see these good deals, I get them just to extend the contract. But needed a new BYOP sim to transfer back to the original phone. I have a few q's.

    1. Is it still possible to transfer my min to this phone and then transfer again back to original phone? (I'll do each transfer on separate days)
    2. Do I still need a brand new BYOP sim or can I recycle the SIM in my original phone?
    3. If the current phone is a locked TF phone (waiting for 12 months, not 60 days, to get unlocked), how will (2x transfers) affect the unlock policy on the original phone? (don't care about unlocking orbit, as we will never use it)

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    12,449
    Device(s)
    Samsung S22, Samsung A51, Pixel 4a
    Carrier(s)
    TF/Verizon, Walmart Freedompop, FreeUP AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by acegolfer View Post
    1. Is it still possible to transfer my min to this phone and then transfer again back to original phone? (I'll do each transfer on separate days)
    2. Do I still need a brand new BYOP sim or can I recycle the SIM in my original phone?
    3. If the current phone is a locked TF phone (waiting for 12 months, not 60 days, to get unlocked), how will (2x transfers) affect the unlock policy on the original phone? (don't care about unlocking orbit, as we will never use it)
    1. Yes.
    2. If the original phone is TF-branded, it can be reactivated using its original SIM. If it's BYOP, best to use a new SIM.
    3. If service is transferred from the original phone to another phone, that will jeopardize its eligibility for unlocking because in TF's view that IMEI had an interruption of service. Let's say it was in service for 7 months before you transfer out, TF will require another 5 months of service when you reactivate it. But here's a sticky part: if the original phone had come with a year of service, then that will be considered "paid service" for the purpose of unlocking; however, if you transfer its service to another phone then transfer back in, the transferred service days are NOT considered "paid service" and you'll have to buy 5 new months of service.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    408
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    3. If service is transferred from the original phone to another phone, that will jeopardize its eligibility for unlocking because in TF's view that IMEI had an interruption of service. Let's say it was in service for 7 months before you transfer out, TF will require another 5 months of service when you reactivate it. But here's a sticky part: if the original phone had come with a year of service, then that will be considered "paid service" for the purpose of unlocking; however, if you transfer its service to another phone then transfer back in, the transferred service days are NOT considered "paid service" and you'll have to buy 5 new months of service.
    Thanks. Here's a twist. The current phone (Samsung A51) is a TF locked phone but didn't come with the service. We bought it to upgrade another TF locked phone (slow Moto E5) that came with the 1-yr service. After taking over the #/balance, A51 has been active for 9 months and the plan expires next month. I hope after Orbit 2x transfer, we can unlock A51 after 3 months. If not, it's not the end of the world.

    Another q. This Orbit bundle comes with 2 phones with each 1-yr plan (correct me if wrong). We have 3 other TF lines and one will expire in 8 months. How late can we activate Orbit? Can we do it next summer?

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    12,449
    Device(s)
    Samsung S22, Samsung A51, Pixel 4a
    Carrier(s)
    TF/Verizon, Walmart Freedompop, FreeUP AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by acegolfer
    Here's a twist. The current phone (Samsung A51) is a TF locked phone but didn't come with the service. We bought it to upgrade another TF locked phone (slow Moto E5) that came with the 1-yr service. After taking over the #/balance, A51 has been active for 9 months and the plan expires next month. I hope after Orbit 2x transfer, we can unlock A51 after 3 months. If not, it's not the end of the world.
    You said the A51 has been active for 9 months, that means it was activated after 11/23/21, so it's under the new unlocking policy (60 days and transferred days count) and should be eligible for unlocking now. Go to TF Unlocking Site , enter its phone number and IMEI and see what it says.

    Another q. This Orbit bundle comes with 2 phones with each 1-yr plan (correct me if wrong). We have 3 other TF lines and one will expire in 8 months. How late can we activate Orbit? Can we do it next summer?
    Some forum members successfully activated bundle phones up to 12 months after purchase.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    408
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    You said the A51 has been active for 9 months, that means it was activated after 11/23/21, so it's under the new unlocking policy (60 days and transferred days count) and should be eligible for unlocking now. Go to TF Unlocking Site , enter its phone number and IMEI and see what it says.



    Some forum members successfully activated bundle phones up to 12 months after purchase.
    TY, you are right. It is eligible for unlock.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    12,449
    Device(s)
    Samsung S22, Samsung A51, Pixel 4a
    Carrier(s)
    TF/Verizon, Walmart Freedompop, FreeUP AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by acegolfer View Post
    you are right. It is eligible for unlock.
    Good deal. TF should display/email you 2 lines of code. Make sure to use the Samsung Phone app (not the Google one) to dial the string of characters to get into the unlocking mode. Sometimes TF sends the two lines of codes out of sequence. If entering the 1st line of codes gets the message "Invalid Code", then enter the 2nd line first.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    408
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    Good deal. TF should display/email you 2 lines of code. Make sure to use the Samsung Phone app (not the Google one) to dial the string of characters to get into the unlocking mode. Sometimes TF sends the two lines of codes out of sequence. If entering the 1st line of codes gets the message "Invalid Code", then enter the 2nd line first.
    Thanks. successfully unlocked.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Orbic Journey V
    By kvr901 in forum Other Phones
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-15-2022, 05:45 PM
  2. Orbic Journey flip phone at Net10
    By WheelieBoot in forum Tracfone/Net10
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-21-2022, 01:02 PM
  3. Orbic Journey V Flip Phone Help Request
    By robster59 in forum Other Phones
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-16-2020, 10:17 PM
  4. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-24-2006, 10:52 PM
  5. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-16-2005, 04:43 PM

Bookmarks