Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Price Change?

Feedback Score

Price Change?

I was planning on buying more time on Target. For the past year I was not charged sales tax. Noticed the other day they are charging again. Oh well.

But going over my past purchases, as recent as Sept 30, I saw that ULL and 1 gb was $20. 2 GB was $25. Now I see that 2 GB is $20 and 3 GB is $25. Did they change something in the last 30 days or so? I'm not keeping up with the times.

Device(s)
    Samsung S22, Samsung A51, Pixel 4a
    Carrier(s)
    TF/Verizon, Walmart Freedompop, FreeUP AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I've bought some TF cards at Target.com. I think they started charging sales tax in mid-2022.

Feedback Score
    There was a post in September regarding the changes to Unlimited plans.

New Unlimited Plans

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    I've bought some TF cards at Target.com. I think they started charging sales tax in mid-2022.
    Bought a couple of cards on Sept 30. No tax. They did charge me Oct '21 and then it stopped. I'm all set until Dec. We'll see what happens then.

Carrier(s)
    BellSouth Mobility, AirTouch, Cingular, Verizon, StraightTalk, PagePlus, TracFone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris109 View Post
    I was planning on buying more time on Target. For the past year I was not charged sales tax. Noticed the other day they are charging again. Oh well.

But going over my past purchases, as recent as Sept 30, I saw that ULL and 1 gb was $20. 2 GB was $25. Now I see that 2 GB is $20 and 3 GB is $25. Did they change something in the last 30 days or so? I'm not keeping up with the times.
    Sales tax levies/collection are controlled by state and local governments.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ChasHam View Post
    I always see a list of the taxes and fees paid after a purchase at Tracfone.com. They know these charges down to the local level. My state does not charge for telephony services, so I just buy off the website.

Carrier(s)
    Twigby & Tello
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ChasHam View Post
    But some companies absorb all the tax and fees, like Hello Mobile (for example). For my $10 Tello plan (in Idaho) I pay 6 cents tax — so, apparently, they're absorbing most of the taxes and fees as well.
    Pixel 3a on Tello — Alcatel Go Flip 3 on Tello — AGM M7 on Hello Mobile — iPhone SE on FreedomPop — TCL Flip 2 on Tracfone

Feedback Score
    In the early days of Tracfone and Net 10 I remember when there were no taxes. A card was face value. Then there was something claiming Tracfone was fighting for Californians regarding the regulatory fees and what have you. Unfortunately these fees and taxes are reality now and goes up and down each month based on different variables. Average price for my $20 plan is about $21 and some change after fees About a fluxuation of up / down 3 cents each month.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
    But some companies absorb all the tax and fees, like Hello Mobile (for example). For my $10 Tello plan (in Idaho) I pay 6 cents tax — so, apparently, they're absorbing most of the taxes and fees as well.
    Tello $10 plan will be $10 plus whatever your State requires extra.

Device(s)
    LG V35, V20, iPhone SE, Moto E4, Galaxy Go Prime, Galaxy J3 Sky
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    callingmart doesn't charge tax, I used them years ago to purchase some net10 refills and it worked then. They sell a variety of plans/refills on their site

Carrier(s)
    BellSouth Mobility, AirTouch, Cingular, Verizon, StraightTalk, PagePlus, TracFone
    Feedback Score
    Companies

Companies/retail sellers don't "charge" tax-- they just collect it for the government who they send it to-- monthly, quarterly, etc.

As rcentros points out, some sellers choose to absorb the tax. But I bet a detailed analysis would likely show that the sellers that do probably charge a bit more than those that don't...so at checkout time, your credit card gets the same hit ;-)
    Last edited by ChasHam; 11-17-2022 at 03:38 PM.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ChasHam
    As rcentros points out, some sellers choose to absorb the tax. But I bet a detailed analysis would likely show that the sellers that do probably charge a bit more than those that don't...so at checkout time, your credit card gets the same hit ;-)
    Well, that depends. In the last two weeks, I bought about $3000 worth of computer parts from various sellers (Amazon, B&H Photo, Best Buy, Newegg, eBay, a small shop in CA, an online shop in the Netherlands) to build a gaming PC for flight sims. Most sellers charged/collected sales tax like local stores. The small shop in CA didn't charge sales tax, and neither did the shop in the Netherlands. The items I bought from those two places total around $800, so I saved about $75 in sales tax. B&H Photo has a store credit card called Payboo (issued by Comenity Bank) and they issue an immediate refund in the same amount that you paid on sales tax. I saved about $80 on sales tax with B&H. But the point I want to make is that the item prices at those stores that didn't charge sales tax or refunded the sales tax are as competitive as or even lower than at the stores that charged sales tax.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    The small shop in CA didn't charge sales tax, and neither did the shop in the Netherlands. The items I bought from those two places total around $800, so I saved about $75 in sales tax. B&H Photo has a store credit card called Payboo (issued by Comenity Bank) and they issue an immediate refund in the same amount that you paid on sales tax. I saved about $80 on sales tax with B&H. But the point I want to make is that the item prices at those stores that didn't charge sales tax or refunded the sales tax are as competitive as or even lower than at the stores that charged sales tax.
    I am assuming that you live outside the state of CA if the small shop didn't collect sales tax on your purchase. As far as I know, the legislation that the 2018 Supreme Court decision regarding internet sales tax is based upon gives small, out-of-state businesses a chance not to collect tax on some internet purchases:

"The legislation provides a safe harbor for small sellers: a remote seller must make in-state sales exceeding $100,000 or makes 200 or more separate sales transactions in the previous or current calendar year for the nexus provision to apply. "

Obviously a shop in the Netherlands cannot be compelled to collect sales tax.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jet1000 View Post
    I am assuming that you live outside the state of CA if the small shop didn't collect sales tax on your purchase.

Obviously a shop in the Netherlands cannot be compelled to collect sales tax.
    Yes, I live in Kansas, so the small shop in CA didn't collect sales tax. The shop in the Netherlands would have collected Value Added Tax (VAT) if I lived in the European Union, fortunately the US isn't part of that.

Feedback Score
    I looked again at Target for cards. They are charging tax on all ULL with data EXCEPT the $40 8gb card. The other cards charge sales tax plus 911 fees.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast