Thread: New Messages app for Android with chat features

Device(s)
    TF Moto E 2020
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score

New Messages app for Android with chat features

We were travelling abroad the last couple of weeks so without TF coverage. Now back home and notice the Messages app was updated a week or so ago that have settings that need adjustment regarding the Chat features. I'm just researching now and seeing the benefits of the chat features, but I usually keep data off and WIFI on pretty much 100% of the time. So when riding in a car for example with no data, and no wifi, my texts were not sending. So I have adjusted the settings so that my texts resend with SMS/MMS when WIFI is not available.

My main question is, when I'm at home and on wifi, and the Messages texts go over wifi, will those texts still count as Tracfone texts? I know I can test it, but figured you experts here will have figured it out already.

Has anyone else had to make settings changes to get the texts to send properly when normal mms did not send them?
    TZ

Feedback Score
    Text messages count to your account, no matter through cellular data or through wi-fi.

Device(s)
    Galaxy J7 Sky Pro SM-S727VL, Galaxy J3 Sky SM-S230VL, ZTE Z723EL, ZTE Z233VL
    Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk, Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    This is RCS or Universal Profile. RCS messages does use data more then SMS messages.

RCS should replace SMS/MMS, but Apple does not support RCS so far.

RCS is kinda like Apple's iMessage, but you need the other person to support RCS fully.

Device(s)
    TF Moto E 2020
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by advcomp2019 View Post
    This is RCS or Universal Profile. RCS messages does use data more then SMS messages.

RCS should replace SMS/MMS, but Apple does not support RCS so far.

RCS is kinda like Apple's iMessage, but you need the other person to support RCS fully.
    Yes, I read about the RCS. I did a test and send two messages while on home wifi, and they haven't counted as texts.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tzais01 View Post
    Yes, I read about the RCS. I did a test and send two messages while on home wifi, and they haven't counted as texts.
    I do not know if that is how it should be, but I know RCS uses WiFi or cell data.

I know some people disable RCS because they do not want to use their data.

Feedback Score
    I am not not sure if what I said in post #2 is really correct for the situation. I do not know what this RCS means.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by joseg2016 View Post
    I am not not sure if what I said in post #2 is really correct for the situation. I do not know what this RCS means.
    RCS has a number of names. RCS on lots of Android phones is named Chat Settings in the Messages. It is mainly on Google Messages or a few Samsung Messages for right now.

Here is the best info on RCS: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rich_C...ation_Services

Feedback Score
    RCS has a number of names. RCS on lots of Android phones is named Chat Settings in the Messages. It is mainly on Google Messages or a few Samsung Messages for right now.

Here is the best info on RCS: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rich_C...ation_Services
    So much there, and too long to read. I will look at what I find on the device. The Messages app does show a Start Chat button; no matter; I KNOW that any text message I receive or send IS deducted from my account. Being on Wi-Fi or not makes no difference.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by joseg2016 View Post
    So much there, and too long to read. I will look at what I find on the device. The Messages app does show a Start Chat button; no matter; I KNOW that any text message I receive or send IS deducted from my account. Being on Wi-Fi or not makes no difference.
    The thing is the other person has to have RCS too.

Basically, RCS user to RCS user would send the message as RCS. RCS user to SMS user would send the message as SMS. Even RCS user to MMS user would send message as MMS.

It does not matter if you are on WiFi or not.

So have you test it to another RCS user?

Feedback Score
    RCS on lots of Android phones is named Chat Settings in the Messages. It is mainly on Google Messages or a few Samsung Messages for right now.
    With Google Messages it was always called CHAT. It had some settings when it first came out, but my Android 11 phone shows nothing. Poor compatibility and poor documentation. Don't they know that many Android phones do not use Google Messages? At least iMessages works with all Apple devices regardless of carrier.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    I know years ago, on some "branded carrier" phones, mainly Verizon based phone, they have their own app texting app. It was called Messages+, but I do not know if Verizon still uses this app.