Thread: Is This an Example of Data Deprioritization?

Feedback Score

Is This an Example of Data Deprioritization?

I have a Pixel 7 running on Red Pocket with the T-Mobile network. A couple of times now, while I have been stationary in an area with a strong signal (-98dBm), the phone has connected with EDGE instead of 5G. Would this mean I am experiencing data de-prioritization? Just wondering, because my previous phone, a Google Pixel 4a on Page Plus (Verizon MVNO) always connected at 4g speeds.

Thanks for any ideas on this.
    Last edited by kc27; 11-14-2022 at 11:06 PM. Reason: clarity

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kc27 View Post
    I have a Pixel 7 is running on Red Pocket with the T-Mobile network. A couple of times now, while I have been stationary in an area with a strong signal (-98dBm), the phone has connected with EDGE instead of 5G. Would this mean I am experiencing data de-prioritization? Just wondering, because my previous phone, a Google Pixel 4a on Page Plus (Verizon MVNO) always connected at 4g speeds.

Thanks for any ideas on this.
    no, that sounds like T-Mobile network issues or possibly some sort of interference in the area. i have had similar issues from time to time

if you were being de-prioritized you would remain connected to 5G but get slower speeds than other users

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the explanation. T-Mobile and Verizon towers are about the same distance from my home, but the Verizon signal is noticeably weaker. I decided to try T-Mobile via Red Pocket. The signal is much better, but two or three times the connection has switched from 6G to EDGE, both at home and at another location. I have only had T-Mobile for a week, so I will see how it goes over time. Thanks again.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kc27 View Post
    I have a Pixel 7 running on Red Pocket with the T-Mobile network. A couple of times now, while I have been stationary in an area with a strong signal (-98dBm), the phone has connected with EDGE instead of 5G. Would this mean I am experiencing data de-prioritization? .
    It's likely the 5G signal was lost for some reason with no LTE band available either. So it fell back to 2G EDGE.