Thread: Mysterious auto-refill that I never opted for

Feedback Score

Mysterious auto-refill that I never opted for

I have a reconditioned TF Samsung A51 that I got with rewards points in September. I had chat add it to my account for 10,000 points, and later activated it with a $15 card (paid for with $). I can't recall what it said about reactivation, as it's a reconditioned phone. Then I used 2000 points to add a $19.99 basic card so I had enough service days to unlock it later.

I hadn't checked the TF account it is on for a while. I went to look today at the Rewards points in that account and in Activity I saw two lines for 29 points for Auto refill. Hmm, I have never done Auto-refill (so I do not know what it looks like). When I bought the $15 card for the A51 I'm pretty sure I didn't click auto-refill.

I looked in my account. For the A51 it has none of the usual info about the phone but a pop-up appears and says "IMPORTANT: You're currently enrolled in Auto-Refill and the automatic renewal of your benefits is in progress. Your new benefits are about to start! Please keep in mind that you don't need to purchase a service plan to keep your service active."
    The other phone in the account shows the Plan & Usage, Device, and Transactions field for me to look at.
    I don't even see a place to cancel auto-refill.

I looked in my account and I do not have a payment method saved for it to charge an auto-refill to. On the phone I texted Balance and the current balance is consistent with $15 cards being added twice so far.
    I just checked my credit card charges and do not see any charges for these auto-refills.
    Perhaps the phone was previously on auto-refill and it just continued it when I activated it? Someone out there is paying for it still?

I was planning on unlocking the phone soon and combining the balance into another phone and deactivating the A51. Now maybe I should let it go and see what happens?

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    The Tracfone gremlins seldom take a break.

Device(s)
    motoGplay AT&T , Verizon
    Carrier(s)
    ATT
    Feedback Score
    I consider you lucky that you got reward points at all on the phone. I tried for 6 weeks and countless phone calls to corporate to get points added to a phone which were refused because it was a "refurbed phone and as such was activated by a previuos owner and that made it ineligible for reward points."
    Hogwash! I have read numerous posts where refurb phones were awarded points...C'est la vie, avec crapfone!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gmannix View Post
    I consider you lucky that you got reward points at all on the phone. I tried for 6 weeks and countless phone calls to corporate to get points added to a phone which were refused because it was a "refurbed phone and as such was activated by a previuos owner and that made it ineligible for reward points."
    Hogwash! I have read numerous posts where refurb phones were awarded points...C'est la vie, avec crapfone!
    I got the pending 10,000 points, but they haven't finished pending yet, so I don't know if I will actually get them.

Feedback Score
    Update:

In my TF account for this phone the Device info is showing up now as it usually does for the phones. It has Auto Refill turned on. The payment method has a 4 digit number, but it does not correspond to any of my credit cards.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by eohippus View Post
    I got the pending 10,000 points, but they haven't finished pending yet, so I don't know if I will actually get them.
    Very true. I know from bitter experience that Tracfone takes away pending points.

To paraphrase Yogi Berra,
    With Tracfone, it ain't over until it's over, and it still ain't over even after it's over.

Feedback Score
    I looked at my account and it looks like the 10,000 pending points for this phone disappeared. It's still on mystery auto-refill though. Not sure it's worth it to try to ask for the points.
    I have a new reconditioned Moto G Stylus 2021 on another account and it looks like the 10,000 points vested ok for that one.

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Value... 11,000 points gets you a $100 discount. So 10,000 is worth about $90.91.

Feedback Score
    Update:

In my TF account for this phone the Device info is showing up now as it usually does for the phones. It has Auto Refill turned on. The payment method has a 4 digit number, but it does not correspond to any of my credit cards.
    I turned off the mystery autorefill since my account was showing me the links to do that now. Someone out there was getting it charged to their credit card every month, probably trying to cancel it.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Tracfancier View Post
    Value... 11,000 points gets you a $100 discount. So 10,000 is worth about $90.91.
    I'm working on getting the 10,000 points. I talked to corporate CS but I could not get the agent to understand that the points didn't get added to my rewards after pending. Sent TF a message through the BBB.

Device(s)
    Samsung S22, Samsung A51, Pixel 4a
    Carrier(s)
    TF/Verizon, Walmart Freedompop, FreeUP AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I talked to corporate CS but I could not get the agent to understand that the points didn't get added to my rewards after pending.
    " get added to my rewards after pending" is a bit confusing. Tell the rep the pending points didn't become "available for use" after 60 days.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    " get added to my rewards after pending" is a bit confusing. Tell the rep the pending points didn't become "available for use" after 60 days.
    I did try to explain that to the agent, that the 10,000 points did not become available for me to use, but they still didn't understand. The agent was stuck on the fact that I had 11,000 points, so they thought surely I got the 10,000 points.

Device(s)
    Samsung S22, Samsung A51, Pixel 4a
    Carrier(s)
    TF/Verizon, Walmart Freedompop, FreeUP AT&T
    Feedback Score
    The agent was stuck on the fact that I had 11,000 points, so they thought surely I got the 10,000 points.
    I had the same problem around November last year when my pending points (for a referral) didn't become available. I filed a BBB complaint but the thick-headed TF rep who responded only by email kept referring to the other available points in my account and kept saying I already got those points. It was like talking to the wall. Finally I gave up on those points.

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    I had the same problem around November last year when my pending points (for a referral) didn't become available. I filed a BBB complaint but the thick-headed TF rep who responded only by email kept referring to the other available points in my account and kept saying I already got those points. It was like talking to the wall. Finally I gave up on those points.
    And the thick-headed TF rep got an at-a-boy from Verizon.
    Not a criticism... there is only so much we powerless customers should take off TF.