Thread: LG G8 (Verizon unlocked) question LTE band

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone, SKT (Korea)
    Feedback Score

Question LG G8 (Verizon unlocked) question LTE band

Got a question for you guys if you can help me out. I actually just stumbled onto the CDMA changes on Verizon's network soon that shows it ends on Dec 31st, 2022 and that tracfone will need a volte enabled phone for capability. My parents have been using tracfone for years but with the bundled HSN deals. This time I want to get them using an unlocked phone.

I ask TF customer service (Chat online) a few times on what their network runs on for the LG LTE bands, and all they tell me is 850 mhz and 1900 mhz. However, when I ask them are they talking about LTE bands, or just still referring to old CDMA/3G info, they can't tell me....?? Whenever I look at a band list of 4G LTE, I can see multiple bands that use 850 mhz so which one is it that they use?

I see the LG G8 (verizon branded), will use 850 and 1900 on 2G, 3G, but it doesn't specify or 4G clearly to which band it is. I am thinking mainly band 2 and 5 if I had to guess... but if that is the case, then my xiaomi mi 8 lite (factory unlocked) and my LG V50s (korean version of the G8x), should work, but TF says they are not compatible.

I give TF a random IMEI from a verizon branded LG G8 unlocked version and they say it is compatible, but I just hope it will still be from the start of 2023.

Does TF use exactly the same bands as Verizon when on TF Verizon network or do they have slightly different ones but are compatible on Verizon's if that makes any sense?

Sorry for the CONFUSION!! and thank you very much for your help.
    Current Phones:
    OnePlus 8 5G
    Xiaomi Mi 8 Lite
    LG v50s (Dual screen)

Past Phones:
    LG Env Touch (Verizon)
    LG VX8550 Black (Verizon)
    Motorola V265 (Verizon)
    Samsung Galaxy S3 (T-Mobile)
    Samsung Galaxy S4 (T-Mobile)
    Xiaomi Redmi 5 Plus

Device(s)
    Samsung S22, Samsung A51, Pixel 4a
    Carrier(s)
    TF/Verizon, Walmart Freedompop, FreeUP AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Although Verizon doesn't officially drop CDMA support until end of 2022, TF/Verizon has only activated phones that are VoLTE-capable since 2021 (or 2020).

The link below shows the LTE bands used by native Verizon (and TF/Verizon). I go by the band numbers, not the underlying freqs.
    https://www.phonearena.com/news/Chea...he-USA_id77933

Verizon has a whitelist of IMEIs that they deem compatible and they don't put non-USA phones in that whitelist. That's why international models won't be accepted for activation even if they have the proper bands. You can use the Verizon IMEI Checker to see if a phone is compatible with Verizon and TF/Verizon.

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    You would reduce your chances of making a costly mistake and pay less by remaining with the HSN, QVC, or Tracfone e-Bay store bundles.
    Since Verizon now owns Tracfone you are in actuality buying a Verizon brand bundle from those locations.

Device(s)
    LG V35, V20, iPhone SE, Moto E4, Galaxy Go Prime, Galaxy J3 Sky
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    wanting to move on from a small non immersive screen iphone SE 2020 for quite a few reasons like that and increasingly glitchy newer ios versions, I'm wondering the same in regards to verizon branded cheaper older flagships online if they'll work with TF BYOP VZ sims.

I got burned last year buying a supposedly factory unlocked G8, when it was actually TMO originally and just GSM unlocked and TF told me it wasn't compatible with their new network due to not having VoLTE with an ATT BYOP TF sim, I'm really not wanting to spend a bunch on a phone to have it not work.

Considering just going with a good enough decent phone with an HSN/QVC bundle. Budget phones have actually improved a ton in recent years. For the price, the A13 5G seems pretty good, only a couple bucks more for the bundle with yearly plan with phone/1 year service on HSN/QVC versus buying a yearly renewal plan on the TF app itself....$125 the app told me a few min ago....so much for the 49.99 cheap yearly renewals offered in years past.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteSnake91 View Post
    For the price, the A13 5G seems pretty good, only a couple bucks more for the bundle with yearly plan with phone/1 year service on HSN/QVC versus buying a yearly renewal plan on the TF app itself....$125 the app told me a few min ago....so much for the 49.99 cheap yearly renewals offered in years past.
    The $49.99 plan is for 365 days of service WITHOUT any minutes/texts/data. The $125 plan is for 365 days of service AND 1500 minutes/1500 texts/1.5GB of data.

Device(s)
    LG V35, V20, iPhone SE, Moto E4, Galaxy Go Prime, Galaxy J3 Sky
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    The $49.99 plan is for 365 days of service WITHOUT any minutes/texts/data. The $125 plan is for 365 days of service AND 1500 minutes/1500 texts/1.5GB of data.
    do you happen to know how to get the $49.99 plan to pop up? I added 1gb data the other day and nothing at all popped up as an offer like it used to, I don't believe I got it to work last year either, I harvested the yearly plan off some cheapo ~$60 LG phone back then. I don't see the $49 yearly renewal in the app either.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    do you happen to know how to get the $49.99 plan to pop up?
    The $49.99 add-on has always been offered only to a line on a TF-branded phone. My wife has a TF-branded A50 and I can get the $49.99 add-on to show up after adding a $9.99 30-day plan to the cart.

Name:  Tracfone-365-days-add-on-2022-11-16-b.jpg
Views: 61
Size:  49.4 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone, SKT (Korea)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    Although Verizon doesn't officially drop CDMA support until end of 2022, TF/Verizon has only activated phones that are VoLTE-capable since 2021 (or 2020).

The link below shows the LTE bands used by native Verizon (and TF/Verizon). I go by the band numbers, not the underlying freqs.
    https://www.phonearena.com/news/Chea...he-USA_id77933

Verizon has a whitelist of IMEIs that they deem compatible and they don't put non-USA phones in that whitelist. That's why international models won't be accepted for activation even if they have the proper bands. You can use the Verizon IMEI Checker to see if a phone is compatible with Verizon and TF/Verizon.
    Thanks for the help. I actually already been to that site haha. I decided to look at it a little closer. I didnt know some IMEI's were whitelisted though.
    Either way, appreciate the IMEI checking link, this way I dont have to keep asking tracfone if something works on their network, I could probably
    just go to that site. All the IMEI's that they confirmed, working or not on their network, gave the same result the Verizon IMEI check did.

wanting to move on from a small non immersive screen iphone SE 2020 for quite a few reasons like that and increasingly glitchy newer ios versions, I'm wondering the same in regards to verizon branded cheaper older flagships online if they'll work with TF BYOP VZ sims.

I got burned last year buying a supposedly factory unlocked G8, when it was actually TMO originally and just GSM unlocked and TF told me it wasn't compatible with their new network due to not having VoLTE with an ATT BYOP TF sim, I'm really not wanting to spend a bunch on a phone to have it not work.

Considering just going with a good enough decent phone with an HSN/QVC bundle. Budget phones have actually improved a ton in recent years. For the price, the A13 5G seems pretty good, only a couple bucks more for the bundle with yearly plan with phone/1 year service on HSN/QVC versus buying a yearly renewal plan on the TF app itself....$125 the app told me a few min ago....so much for the 49.99 cheap yearly renewals offered in years past.

Sorry to hear about that experience. Ya I am aware the Tmobile variant wont work even if it is unlocked but you said you thought it was factory unlocked.
    I paired a factory unlocked IMEI against the IMEI checker hpham wrote above and it shows that it would pass through.

Well I didnt really want a budget phone for my mom even though that is all she needs, especially since I can get a badass one for the same price.
    It is not a problem.. if somehow it stops working in March of next year when I get back to the states, I will just give her my unlocked OnePlus 8 5G
    and take the G8 internationally. I have plenty of phones so it's okay to switch them around in this event. I always wanted a G8 anyway. haha

Device(s)
    iPhone SE 2022, Samsung A53 5G, Pixel 6a, Samsung A51
    Carrier(s)
    TF/Verizon
    Feedback Score
    With a Tracfone branded line, if you add a $10 global calling card to the cart and then when in the cart add the $49.99 365 day option from under Special Offers, you can then deselect the $10 global calling card from that same Special Offers section leaving just the $49.99 year option by itself in the cart. Some people have bought it like that in the past.

Attachment 172725