Thread: iPhone 11 Charging Question

Feedback Score

Question iPhone 11 Charging Question

Just got some iPhone 11 refurbs using rewards points.

Total newbie when it comes to an iPhone.

Most likely they will get traded off for Pixels or Samsungs ..... but thought I'd "kick the tires" a bit & I didn't want to run batteries down.

Is it it normal for these when they are powered off completely .... for there to be ZERO indicators of the fact it is being charged & the battery percentage ?.

Using an existing phone charger I already had with a USB adapter cable.

When powered up this is not an issue.

Feedback Score
    Not sure about the iPhone 11 specifically, but other iPhones I've had that had zero battery and have shut off, you get an empty battery 🪫 picture briefly. When the phone charges sufficiently, it turns itself back on.

Feedback Score
    Yes! When an iPhone is turned off (either completely powered off or sleeping) the screen is completely dark, no indication that it is charging.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tftess View Post
    Yes! When an iPhone is turned off (either completely powered off or sleeping) the screen is completely dark, no indication that it is charging.
    My mom has an iPhone XR. She said if she turns off her phone before charging it, it automatically turns on when she plugs in the charger. I don't know if it's just her phone, or if all iPhones behave that way. She finds it frustrating that she can't charge her phone turned off.

Device(s)
    Samsung S22, Samsung A51, Pixel 4a
    Carrier(s)
    TF/Verizon, Walmart Freedompop, FreeUP AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sillyette View Post
    My mom has an iPhone XR. She said if she turns off her phone before charging it, it automatically turns on when she plugs in the charger. I don't know if it's just her phone, or if all iPhones behave that way. She finds it frustrating that she can't charge her phone turned off .
    That's how the XRs and iPhone11s that I got from TF behave. I charged them up before shipping them off to the reseller. When I plugged in the charger, the phones came on. But I just turned them off again and they still charged.

Feedback Score
    I also noticed the automatic power-up if the charging cable is plugged in when power off.

Another odd thing is the battery percentage not being listed in the battery menu in settings.

Even more baffling is when you google things like this & you realize how alone you are in being annoyed by such things that are legit common sense gripes.

Will now shut up before I turn this into a generalized A-Z what's wrong with sheeple rant vs just some clueless software engineers from Apple.

PS -

These do indeed physically charge when powered off - just zero indication of such.

Plug in charging cable BEFORE powering the phone down.

Then you can power it down - phone will then remain off while charging.

Device(s)
    Samsung S22, Samsung A51, Pixel 4a
    Carrier(s)
    TF/Verizon, Walmart Freedompop, FreeUP AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tracmac View Post
    These do indeed physically charge when powered off - just zero indication of such.

Plug in charging cable BEFORE powering the phone down.

Then you can power it down - phone will then remain off while charging.
    I usually plug an iPhone into a high-output charger for about 2 hrs. UPS typically delivers the shipment from TF around noon. I remove the SIM, then power up the phone to make sure it works. Then I plug it into a charger, then power it off. Two hours later, I remove the charger, power up the phone to see if the battery is full or close to full. If it is, I box it up and ship it to a reseller.

Device(s)
    iPhone 12 Pro, iPhone SE 2016
    Carrier(s)
    ATT Prepaid, Mobi, Boom
    Feedback Score
    My mom has an iPhone XR. She said if she turns off her phone before charging it, it automatically turns on when she plugs in the charger. I don't know if it's just her phone, or if all iPhones behave that way. She finds it frustrating that she can't charge her phone turned off.
    That is how my iPhones have charged through the years.
    iPhone 12 Pro is my current phone I carry.

Feedback Score
    Yup I noticed that annoying behavior of turning on when you plug it in for charging from off state. Never thought about forcing it off again, I learned something today!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    I remove the SIM, then power up the phone to make sure it works.
    I box it up and ship it to a reseller.
    (BTW, sorry this is off-topic)
    I've not bought a refurb iPhone from TF - do the refurb iPhones come with the SIM installed in the phone? (The new iPhones have the SIM card stuck on the outside, so somehow I thought even refurb ones would be the same way).

It sounds like when you ship the iPhone to the reseller, the phone doesn't have a SIM installed in it. Is this deliberate, or is it okay to send an iPhone along with its SIM?

Thank you!

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S21 5G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    It sounds like when you ship the iPhone to the reseller, the phone doesn't have a SIM installed in it. Is this deliberate, or is it okay to send an iPhone along with its SIM?
    Makes perfect sense to me. What if someone intercepted the phone during shipment and tried to use it fraudulently and/or steal it? If you are selling a phone or returning it for warranty, don't include the SIM.
    Just another day in paradise.....

Feedback Score
    Sim is preinstalled in all refurbs including iphones. I always remove it. Google specifically asks you to but think it doesn't matter that much. They do require reset but if you send a phone straight through it is already reset. But I usually power it on to take pic and vid.

Feedback Score
    (BTW, sorry this is off-topic)
    I've not bought a refurb iPhone from TF - do the refurb iPhones come with the SIM installed in the phone? (The new iPhones have the SIM card stuck on the outside, so somehow I thought even refurb ones would be the same way).

Thank you!
    The refurbs come with the requirement of having to buy airtime at the time of purchase.

I think this airtime would be tied to the SIM at activation.

That airtime is of really no use to anyone that has no intention of activating it and/or using it for themselves/friend/family and/or selling it outright to some 3rd party that will actually activate & use it on TF.

I just did it myself 4x for phones I have no intention of activating.

Would have loved to keep the $60+I had to spend between them.