Thread: How do you keep a spare TF activated?

Device(s)
    LG V20,Google Pixel 2XL
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone-since 2005
    Feedback Score

How do you keep a spare TF activated?

The Moto G Stylus 2021 is working out so well for me that I'd like to get a spare. The $50 special on TF requires a plan purchase. I'd like to get one and put it in a drawer. Forget about it until I need it. Take any new phone number TF provides. How do you guys keep a spare?

Device(s)
    Samsung S22, Samsung A51, Pixel 4a
    Carrier(s)
    TF/Verizon, Walmart Freedompop, FreeUP AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Do you want the spare phone to have service and ready to use when/if you need it, or just keep it inactive and activate when/if your daily phone is lost, broken, misplaced?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tlippy View Post
    .... How do you guys keep a spare?
    I don't know how good of a backup plan mine is, because both my main phone and backup phone are on TF-Verizon (while ideally, they say your backup should be on a different carrier).

Anyways, my backup phone started out as a Moto E5 HSN bundle. I keep it active by adding service using rewards points. And I make sure I make the required phone call once every 6 months.

Device(s)
    LG V20,Google Pixel 2XL
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone-since 2005
    Feedback Score
    Only for a spare. Inactive

Feedback Score
    The Moto G Stylus 2021 is working out so well for me that I'd like to get a spare. The $50 special on TF requires a plan purchase. I'd like to get one and put it in a drawer. Forget about it until I need it. Take any new phone number TF provides. How do you guys keep a spare?
    I use an otherwise retired Tracfone with Page Plus paygo service as my backup. That is $10/120 days ($2.50/month average). Renew by the 120 days and the balance carries over.

You could get the Stylus with the minimum $15 plan purchase, let the plan lapse and move the service to PP paygo. The phone does not need to be unlocked to move to PP service. PP is part of the Tracfone system.

PP paygo at 5-6 cents a service unit is not good if you need to use many units. As my backup, I have never used it, except on Wifi, and the balance keeps building. It's there if I need it and $2.50 a month is basically chump change.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Only for a spare. Inactive
    In that case, just buy one and stash it away. When/if your daily phone breaks or is lost, activate the new phone with a transfer from the daily phone. If you can't receive the security code with the old phone, ask the rep to send the code to the email of your account, or use you account PIN and the secret question.

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    I`ve never kept a spare for any phone. And I have never wished that I had. When a great phone plays out, what is currently available is much better. Provider changes often make a spare unusable before it is needed/used (along with the original you are still using).

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    I like phones with hi-res screen but not too big, no more than 150mm tall. I like my pixel 4a but something went wrong with it and the OS uses a lot of battery. In Sept I switched to a Samsung s22. I like the S22 and it's one of the few modern phones that aren't too big, so I bought another one as a spare.

Device(s)
    LG V20,Google Pixel 2XL
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone-since 2005
    Feedback Score
    I've rethought and I'm taking your advice. Thanks