Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What's cheapest way to extend my Tracfone service for 1 year?

Feedback Score

What's cheapest way to extend my Tracfone service for 1 year?

I have more than 10000 mins / 12 GB of data and do not want to lose them.

What's cheapest way to extend the service for 1 year?

Device(s)
    Samsung S22, Samsung A51, Pixel 4a
    Carrier(s)
    TF/Verizon, Walmart Freedompop, FreeUP AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Buy a cheap phone bundle, activate the new phone with a transfer from your current phone. Wait a day or two, then transfer service from the new phone back to your current phone. There's an add-on offer for 1-yr of service with no additional minutes/texts/data for $49.99, but it's offered only to a TF-branded phone.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RFK View Post
    I have more than 10000 mins / 12 GB of data and do not want to lose them.

What's cheapest way to extend the service for 1 year?
    Do you have a Tracfone branded phone?

If so, in your TF account, buy the cheapest airtime "card" and go to checkout. They may offer one year service time only for $50.

If you don't mind changing phones temporarily you can buy a HSN bundle for $40 that comes with one year of service and 1500 each of service units. Activate the bundle phone with a transfer of number and units from the existing phone.

If you don't want to use the bundle phone you can buy a $1 TF SIM and transfer back from the bundle phone to your phone.

I don't think anything is cheaper than this.

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RFK View Post
    I have more than 10,000 mins / 12 GB of data and do not want to lose them.

What's the cheapest way to extend the service for 1 year?
    That is a lot of minutes. I wouldn`t buy more airtime. If TF sees them and decides there is no way you came about them legally, you could lose some. You may be safer going with the $49.99 year-only add-on while your minute bucket is high. A decision you must make.

Device(s)
    iPhone SE 2022, Samsung A53 5G, Pixel 6a, Samsung A51
    Carrier(s)
    TF/Verizon
    Feedback Score
    If you add the $10 global calling card to cart, and then select the $49.99 365 day add-on found under special offers near the bottom left, and then deselect the $10 global calling card from the same special offers section, you may be able to purchase the $49.99 add on by itself since some have reported success doing this. You can also just add an add-on like $5 text or whatever to the cart if you also need it and it should bring up the $49.99 365 day option. But only the $10 global calling card can actually be removed leaving the $49.99 add on by itself.

You need a tracfone branded phone/line to be able to get this $49.99 365 day option in the cart.

Name:  one.JPG
Views: 122
Size:  44.8 KB

Name:  ok.JPG
Views: 122
Size:  50.6 KB

Name:  new.JPG
Views: 125
Size:  28.6 KB

Feedback Score
    If you have a BYOP and just want service days, look on eBay. There are a couple of sellers with high (99%+) feedback. I added 1 year of service for $60. It took about 1.5 days to show up.

Feedback Score
    easiest is buy the 1 year plans on ebay when they are on sale. the other harder option is to buy cheap phones on HSN then attempt to merge them later.

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Tracfone has been lax/generous with the E-bay BYOP SIM bundles for new activations... which could change without notice.
    No need to merge with cheap HSN bundles, you transfer. Transfer the current service to activate the HSN bundle, wait a few days and transfer the HSN phone`s service to re-activate your original phone (with its same installed Verizon SIM).

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Tracfancier View Post
    Tracfone has been lax/generous with the E-bay BYOP SIM bundles for new activations... which could change without notice.
    No need to merge with cheap HSN bundles, you transfer. Transfer the current service to activate the HSN bundle, wait a few days and transfer the HSN phone`s service to re-activate your original phone (with its same installed Verizon SIM).
    I learned about merge today. To me, it's a better option than transfer because (1) I don't need a new BYOP sim and (2) if I wait 61 days to merge, I get 10k reward pts. I may lose 2 month service but 10k pts are worth more to me.

Why do you suggest transfer (which I have been doing for years) is still better?

Device(s)
    Samsung S22, Samsung A51, Pixel 4a
    Carrier(s)
    TF/Verizon, Walmart Freedompop, FreeUP AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by acegolfer View Post
    Why do you suggest transfer (which I have been doing for years) is still better?
    Prior to when the Rewards program started, there was no real benefit in activating several new phones as new lines then later combine them. It was simpler (and can be DIY) by activating a new phone with a transfer from an existing phone.

With the current Rewards program, especially with 10K points per new line, for most people it's more beneficial to activate new phones as new lines to get AAL points then combine them after the points have been vested. Combining as its own drawback: you need a rep, some reps don't know how to do it and just say it can't be done, sometimes the rep botched up and you lose the phone number of the line that you want to keep, etc. You probably have read posts from other forum members about failed combining.

Feedback Score
    I buy one of the HSN bundles around Black Friday every year, swap to the device, and then sell whatever leftover phones I have from the bundle. No issues so far as the extra airtime all gets added once you activate the new device. If you can leave one of the phones activated on TracFone for 60 days, you can get it unlocked and sell it on Ebay for a bit more than if you sold it TracFone locked. This is what I do and it costs almost nothing to get a year extension on airtime.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by acegolfer View Post
    I learned about merge today. To me, it's a better option than transfer because (1) I don't need a new BYOP sim and (2) if I wait 61 days to merge, I get 10k reward pts. I may lose 2 month service but 10k pts are worth more to me.

Lots of horror stories with the "merge" aka combine-balance option.
    (After a few harrowing experiences, I have promised myself not to try any more combines).

Transfers have been way more reliable.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sillyette View Post
    Lots of horror stories with the "merge" aka combine-balance option.
    (After a few harrowing experiences, I have promised myself not to try any more combines).

Transfers have been way more reliable.
    Just did a couple of combines yesterday with no hassles. I did have a horror story a couple of months ago, but that involved a line that had a T-Mobile SIM. I think it was just a clueless chat rep, but it took about 2-3 hours on the phone to get it resolved.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by PHL1365 View Post
    Just did a couple of combines yesterday with no hassles. I did have a horror story a couple of months ago, but that involved a line that had a T-Mobile SIM. I think it was just a clueless chat rep, but it took about 2-3 hours on the phone to get it resolved.
    Same, I’ve combined 3 lines into 1 over the last week. Added a year and a half of service and 3 GB of data to my main line essentially for free (sold the phones after unlocking for about what I paid.) It helps to follow hpham’s script, or at least the parts applicable to you (or one of the others that people have shared.)

Feedback Score
    Is there a link to hpham's script somewhere?
    I would like to use that to avoid any potential issues.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast