Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Activate old GSM SIM?

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    More indication TF is trying to get rid of AT&T and T-Mobile service at every possible opportunity.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Tracfancier View Post
    If you want a new phone for Verizon, then you should buy the 2-for-1 priced HSN, QVC, or TF e-Bay store deals. Activate them as new lines, while adding them to an account that already has an active line and you will have 20,000 points in 61 days to trade for a $300 certificate used toward the purchase of any phone from the TF website. Search for any thread that contains "Tracfone AAL (add a line)" to learn the procedure.
    Thanks for the suggestion, that's exactly what I was planning to do, in fact I just got yesterday in the mail the 2 flip phones plus 1200 min each for $30. But I am just a bit uneasy to activate them via chat AND get the reward points. Last line I activated myself online then trying to apply the 10000 reward points failed miserably for me, even after 3-4 calls to TF support. I dread talking (or chatting) with them

Feedback Score
    FWIW. i have multiple TF lines on all 3 networks, the free SIM kit offers and call intercepts i have only seen happen on ATT and i have seen on phones that are ATT whitelisted and work perfectly. so far my t-mobile network lines have been left alone with no effort by TF to move them to Verizon.

if both att and t-mobile work well in an area but not Verizon or for Verizon incompatible handsets it may be a better idea to activate t-mobile.

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sorint View Post
    Thanks for the suggestion, that's exactly what I was planning to do, in fact I just got yesterday in the mail the 2 flip phones plus 1200 min each for $30. But I am just a bit uneasy to activate them via chat AND get the reward points. Last line I activated myself online then trying to apply the 10000 reward points failed miserably for me, even after 3-4 calls to TF support. I dread talking (or chatting) with them
    The reward point system is extremely complicated. Trying to attempt it without advice from us here will often result in failure.
    Research, ask questions, and run your ideas by us here. Most first timers ideas contain the ingredients for failure.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by robbyrobby View Post
    FWIW. i have multiple TF lines on all 3 networks, the free SIM kit offers and call intercepts i have only seen happen on ATT and i have seen on phones that are ATT whitelisted and work perfectly. so far my t-mobile network lines have been left alone with no effort by TF to move them to Verizon.

if both att and t-mobile work well in an area but not Verizon or for Verizon incompatible handsets it may be a better idea to activate t-mobile.
    I believe that T-Mobile has cheaper wholesale rates than AT&T does. So getting rid of AT&T might be higher priority.

I have noticed this while looking at MVNOs. Also, the newer MVNOs seem to use T-Mobile. Maybe T-Mobile is being aggressive with expansion and rates.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Lisme View Post
    I believe that T-Mobile has cheaper wholesale rates than AT&T does. So getting rid of AT&T might be higher priority.

I have noticed this while looking at MVNOs. Also, the newer MVNOs seem to use T-Mobile. Maybe T-Mobile is being aggressive with expansion and rates.
    I agree with all these assertions, except that I live on the bottom of a bucket like area where incidentally ATT gets the better signal of the 3 big ones. It used to be Sprint but of course that went away so now I'm trying to pick the next best one. Even so I'm forced into using wifi calling most times

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Tracfancier View Post
    The reward point system is extremely complicated. Trying to attempt it without advice from us here will often result in failure.
    Research, ask questions, and run your ideas by us here. Most first timers ideas contain the ingredients for failure.
    Yes that is exactly how I'm planning to activate these 2 new lines. That and a healthy dose of patience and luck.

Feedback Score
    So long as your phone is unlocked, stick with the NETWORK you want, never mind what Tracfone wants.

If they get too obnoxious, just move to another MVNO that gives you what you want.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sorint View Post
    But I am just a bit uneasy to activate them via chat AND get the reward points. Last line I activated myself online then trying to apply the 10000 reward points failed miserably for me, even after 3-4 calls to TF support. I dread talking (or chatting) with them
    I've never had an issue with adding a phone to an account via chat and not getting the points immediately. It's one thing the chat reps seem to do competently. Just follow the procedure of telling them upfront that you only want to add the phone to the line and not activate anything at this time.

After the rep sends you a code to verify your existing line, they'll take the new device's IMEI number and usually within seconds say something like, "the device has been added, is there anything I can help you with."

If you have your rewards account balance open in another window, you can refresh that and see the additional 10,000 points. Then you can say good bye.

Do one device at a time in two different chat sessions if you feel more comfortable.

Once you've added both devices to your account via chat and confirmed the 20,000 points, you can activate them with a phone number and plan in your account online at your leisure.

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    NOTE: If the CSR adds the AAL and then activates it without the 10,000 points showing up you then have no guaranteed way to get the 10,000 points. So make sure the CSR understands NOT TO ACTIVATE IT until you say so.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jet1000 View Post
    Do one device at a time in two different chat sessions if you feel more comfortable.

Once you've added both devices to your account via chat and confirmed the 20,000 points, you can activate them with a phone number and plan in your account online at your leisure.
    How many, within what time window would be safe conservatively?

I have a new account with 15,000 pending, 5000 referral on a stable active phone plus one 10k AAL on the second line.

Four HSN bundles on the way.

Each new AAL resets the vesting date for everything in that MyAccount, right?

Feedback Score
    I believe that each AAL runs its own vesting date.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulCrawhorne View Post
    Each new AAL resets the vesting date for everything in that MyAccount, right?
    The vesting dates should remain the same. However, you'll need to keep any existing lines active even after their points vest until the newest line has its points vest. If you let the older lines deactivate, then TF can use that as an excuse not to give you the points from the new line when its scheduled to vest.

I have a new account with 15,000 pending, 5000 referral on a stable active phone plus one 10k AAL on the second line.

Four HSN bundles on the way.
    You should be able to do 3 more AAL on that account. Then you'll need a new account for anything else you want to activate.

How many, within what time window would be safe conservatively?
    I've added devices an account, one right after another on separate chats with separate representatives. The AAL points show up immediately.

Then you can activate them online later when you get around to it.

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Remember...the first phone in a newly created account is NOT an AAL and will not earn AAL points.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jet1000 View Post
    You should be able to do 3 more AAL on that account.
    I've added devices an account, one right after another on separate chats with separate representatives. The AAL points show up immediately.

Then you can activate them online later when you get around to it.
    Well if there's no reason to hold off, they all include 1yr service I would do them all quickly.

So even if you activate 4 AALs within a few days, so claiming a total of 45,000 RPs (with the initial referral) all on one MyAccount, that high a velocity in itself does not throw a red flag?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2