Thread: Anyone else receiving unintelligible texts apparently originating from Tracfone?

Feedback Score

Anyone else receiving unintelligible texts apparently originating from Tracfone?

In the past 24 hours, I've received two text messages apparently originating from Tracfone 90379, on two different Tracfone-connected phones, one a Tracfone Motorola Moto e, the other an iPhone SE 2020 purchased from Apple, both currently unlocked, in exactly this format:

[/ //TF ##################n/a]

(# represents the 18 numerals in each text). The numbers don't correspond to IMEI or anything else that I can connect with my Tracfone account or any of my devices.

I haven't contacted Tracfone support, nor added new devices to my account, airtime, texts, or data to either line in more than 60 days.
    I have not texted anything via 611611 from either phone in over 60 days.
    The Android phone was unlocked in the last two weeks, without incident, following the instructions automatically sent from Tracfone.

Phishing scam or ???

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S21 5G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I think it is a phishing scam. Just ignore it and if it is important enough, they will contact you by other means. Let us know what happens. You might try reaching out to Tracfone directly by phone call or internet chat.
    Just another day in paradise.....

Feedback Score
    There is another thread where several of us including me reports getting this text. It's just TracFone being TracFone and slightly incompetent.

Device(s)
    iPhone SE 2022, Samsung A53 5G, Pixel 6a, iPhone 11, Samsung A51
    Carrier(s)
    TF/Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Yeah all of my phones got it. It could be related to TF surveys or something. I just deleted them.

Attachment 172853

I remember some forum members got them a couple of months ago and it seemed they were tied to surveys or promotional texts.

Maybe answering STOP or doing that in general to stop promotional texts will prevent them in the future... I don't know.

People have occasionally been getting different shortcode versions of them for a while:

https://www.howardforums.com/showthr...age-from-78011
    Last edited by tomseys; 11-29-2022 at 08:34 PM.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tomseys View Post
    Yeah all of my phones got it. It could be related to TF surveys or something. I just deleted them.

Attachment 172853

I remember some forum members got them a couple of months ago and it seemed they were tied to surveys or promotional texts.

Maybe answering STOP or doing that in general to stop promotional texts will prevent them in the future... I don't know.

People have occasionally been getting different shortcode versions of them for a while:

https://www.howardforums.com/showthr...age-from-78011
    Totally agree. For what it's worth I pulled out my Columbo cigar and I did some googling. On the 5 digit (short code/phone #) for 90379 and 77089 (mentioned in the other thread): https://shortcodes.org/uncategorized/90379-short-code/ and https://shortcodes.org/uncategorized/77089-short-code/ So did any of you opt-in to a TF SMS notification program?

What I found on the [/ //TF 335840160010100810n/a] on various sites is it's a text routing code and allot of mention of TF or Safelink dating back many years as an origin.
    Of course a couple paranoid mentions of some phone number bridge hacking whatever that is. But face it, a carrier does have access to your phone. Big brothers watching JK.

Carrier(s)
    Tello & Hello
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mdwychoff View Post
    [/ //TF ##################n/a]
    Yes, I got one of these. Came a day or two before my phone was due for unlocking. At first I thought it might have been my unlock code that somehow got mangled.
    Pixel 3a on Tello — Alcatel Go Flip 3 on Tello — AGM M7 on Hello Mobile — iPhone SE on FreedomPop — TCL Flip 2 on Tracfone