Thread: Has Wifi Calling always consumed minutes...? Wifi calls consuming minutes on 2020 iPhone SE

Device(s)
    LG V35, V20, iPhone SE, Moto E4, Galaxy Go Prime, Galaxy J3 Sky
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score

Has Wifi Calling always consumed minutes...? Wifi calls consuming minutes on 2020 iPhone SE

Has Wifi Calling always consumed minutes...? Wifi calls consuming minutes on TF 2020 iPhone SE?

I was under the assumption that the entire point of wifi calling was that it'll use your wifi instead of cellular data, thus, not consuming minutes.

Looking around a little online, there seems to be conflicting reports, some saying it uses minutes up, and people attacking them saying they're lying and that theirs doesn't use up minutes. Is this just a tracfone thing or does it depend on the phone model?

I exclusively used google voice for years, so, not the end of the world to just use it again for calls, but, it was saddening to see wifi calling using up minutes. I occasionally had google voice/hangouts be very hit or miss on when it'd actually ring when people would call.

Device(s)
    Pixel 3a XL; Moto E4; LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    Google Voice; T-Mobile Postpaid Mobile Data; FreedomPop; FreeUp; Dent; 3UK
    Feedback Score
    I don't know if it always has on every network, but it's supposed to.

WiFi calling is still using the carrier's resources, since it's using your carrier-provided phone #.

Device(s)
    Samsung S22, Samsung A51, Pixel 4a
    Carrier(s)
    TF/Verizon, Walmart Freedompop, FreeUP AT&T
    Feedback Score
    There are conflicting reports because different carriers treat WiFi Calling usage differently. TF/Verizon deducts minutes for WiFi Calling. TF/AT&T doesn't deduct. Someone reported that TF/T-mo deducts double amounts.

Feedback Score
    iPhone SE 2020, TF/V TF branded, unlocked.

Without WiFi calling I have no coverage in my house. Though I rarely use my phone to talk, WiFi calls always use minutes.

Feedback Score
    When I had sims on all 3 TF carriers I did some testing. I got the results that @hpham posted above. Haven't done test since Verizon took over so things may have changed.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S21 5G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Don't forget that the make/model of the phone doesn't matter, it is the carrier that matters. If you need to know if it counts against your airtime or not, you should ask your provider.
    Just another day in paradise.....

Feedback Score
    WiFi calling deducted minutes when I used it. I am fine with that since I use WiFi calling when I don’t have cellular access. For me, the great thing about WiFi calling is that I have access where I otherwise would not.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by happygrrl1 View Post
    WiFi calling deducted minutes when I used it. I am fine with that since I use WiFi calling when I don’t have cellular access. For me, the great thing about WiFi calling is that I have access where I otherwise would not.
    This. You’re still using your cellular number and network resources. The point of it is to provide coverage where you otherwise wouldn’t have it, not that it doesn’t use minutes. You’re looking for something like Google Voice if you want something that doesn’t use minutes and texts.

I’ve been using Wi-Fi calling for probably 12+ years now on T-Mobile postpaid. It’s always used minutes and texts. I rarely need it now and usually leave Wi-Fi off, but it’s nice to have. The new iPhones with dual SIM can use data on your other SIM to provide calling on your first SIM which I thought was cool. I first saw that when I stayed at Disney’s Aulani hotel and the gym had AT&T service but not T-Mobile (my primary service) and it auto switched so I could call and text from my T-Mobile line using AT&T’s network like Wi-Fi calling. Very handy!

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo
    Castrol EDGE 0W-20 is my drug of choice.

Primary: iPhone 13 Pro (T-Mobile & AT&T); Galaxy S21+ (Verizon)
    Mobile Broadband: Franklin T10 LTE hotspot (5GB for $8.50) / iPad mini 6 5G (unlimited 5G data)

Carrier(s)
    Tello & Hello
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteSnake91 View Post
    Has Wifi Calling always consumed minutes...? Wifi calls consuming minutes on TF 2020 iPhone SE?

I was under the assumption that the entire point of wifi calling was that it'll use your wifi instead of cellular data, thus, not consuming minutes. ...
    That's not the whole point. I think the bigger selling point now is that WiFi calling allows you to make and receive calls where you don't have cell service. Most cell phone plans that I know about do include WiFi minutes in the overall plan. One exception is the Target free FreedomPop plan, where WiFi calls are unlimited and free. (This is the AT&T 10 minute, 100 text FreedomPop free plan, not the Walmart T-Mobile version.)

The main phone I use for calling at my desk (my AGM M7 because it is a fantastic speaker phone) is on Hello Mobile's cheapest plan. Unlimited talk and text and 500 MBs of data for $5 a month and that includes all taxes and fees.
    Pixel 3a on Tello — Alcatel Go Flip 3 on Tello — AGM M7 on Hello Mobile — iPhone SE on FreedomPop — TCL Flip 2 on Tracfone

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteSnake91 View Post
    Has Wifi Calling always consumed minutes...? I was under the assumption that the entire point of wifi calling was that it'll use your wifi instead of cellular data, thus, not consuming minutes.
    Well, the WiFi goes only between you and the carrier server. But then from them to the other carrier, it needs to use "minutes", because the way telephony billing was set decades ago. The OTHER party charges minutes.
    Google can give you free minutes via Google Voice because... of their ad revenue. And they do that only in US, not everywhere else..