Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 31

Thread: Reddit

  1. #16
    Join Date
    Sep 2020
    Posts
    879
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint/T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0

    Reddit

    Quote Originally Posted by jet1000 View Post
    Your math doesn't quite add up. Add 10 to 12 years onto an age range of 20-35 and you get 30-45 or 32-47...not 40-55. So those lower ranges seems to illustrate Jack Hagar's point.
    Correct, if I was using the 10-12 years from when Reddit blew up, but as I stated Reddit was started 17 years ago by 20-35 year olds. Actually has an odd history, the original idea was sort of an Uber eats type idea where you order food with sms messaging, anyways, it was started by 2 college roommates as “the front page of the Internet”. Steve Huffman and Alexis Ohanian are 40 years old now. Reddit even claims that 14% of u.s. adults aged 30-50 use Reddit, not that 14% of their users are 30-50, but 14% of u.s. adults total in that age range, are Reddit users. Whether true or not who knows, but Reddit is still vastly popular with 30-50 year olds and gen x’ers using Reddit was 100% part of the reason on the death of forum based websites like I originally stated. Along with millennials and z’ers, though the impact of z’ers is less significant because they never really knew forum based web pages as a viable option.

    The same can be said of apple, most people don’t equate the iPhone or Mac with 40-50 year olds, but they were the ones who built, design and used the product to the point to where it now it is the largest tech company in the world. They are the reason blackberry isn’t a thing anymore. They are it’s core users and built the empire, but most people think of Apple as a millennial or z’er product only. Apple products today are still immensely popular with 40-50 year olds as well.

    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Theghostlad82; 12-13-2022 at 07:46 PM.

  2. #17
    Join Date
    Sep 2020
    Posts
    879
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint/T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Vicpdx17 View Post
    Yeah, I mean I use to be on hofo growing up as I did not really know about reddit but once I found out about it, that was the end of hofo for me. One nice part of Reddit is that I could post 1 meme per day for a year and not hit any attachment limits like the hofo site still has.

    Reddit does has it's downsides like going down ever so often and some bad mods but otherwise I am more on there now then I am here.
    Reddit just has much more information in one place. Forums such as this one, and xda, macrumors, and such all had their place and time, and were great tools back in the day for information. Reddit just has passed them by. I do agree about the mod situation though, it can be a pita and you have to kind of learn what you can and can’t get away with in each subreddit. Though you can also argue that even the worst mods there, give a little more freedom than on forum sites like this. You can at least drop an f bomb here and there on Reddit with no repercussions. People may dismiss stuff like that, but for a lot of people little stuff like that matters, it’s a form of expression people do use to either make, or emphasize a point and it’s part of some generation’s lexicon.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  3. #18
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    1,281
    Carrier(s)
    310-150, 310-260, FP (WMT & TGT)
    Feedback Score
    0
    I think it kind of matches the centralization of social media as a whole over the last twenty years or so. With the ownership change at Twitter, a lot of people have been commenting about putting "too many eggs in one basket" for content in general. While I like Reddit, there is the looming threat that if it were to change hands or close down, all of that knowledge would disappear. The advantage forums like this have is that they're topic-focused and not trying to be everything for everyone all bundled together. Even if this site went away, MacRumors or XDA would still exist. If Reddit went away, /r/att, /r/visible, /r/apple, r/android etc. would all be done.

    I also appreciate how the general tone here sort of assumes that most people have a basic understanding and interest in the telcom world, so we generally don't see posts of "will my cracked screen be accepted for a T-Mobile trade-in?" or "this one particular Verizon store ripped me off and messed up my account, so all of Verizon is stupid." Most of the content here is interesting and has value and seems that we're "playing on advanced mode." I hope it doesn't come across as an elitist viewpoint (not the intent), but just the nature of Reddit having a wider appeal so anyone can jump into a subreddit and post - sometimes people think that the carrier subreddits are run by the companies themselves.

    There's room for both and I check both regularly, but I do realize that as time goes on, most people may start at something like Reddit and then not branch out. It's just the nature of technology - I never got on BBSes and early message boards, but started with email lists and forums.

  4. #19
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    226
    Feedback Score
    0

    Reddit

    So it has gotten to the point where I and many others put the word Reddit behind their Google searches.
    Kind of like Best + Toaster + Reddit .

    You get so much more accurate information than from Google’s Paid search results i.e. all the stores paying Google to advertise Toasters. Google actually now displays “+ Reddit” results in a special window because of this.

    I don’t especially appreciate the less up-building parts of Reddit so I do use Apollo and set my home to the Cellmapper thread. Also have the No-ads subscription which also gives me some points to award great answers.

    Long Live Howard Forums!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  5. #20
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    6,571
    Device(s)
    iPhone (Silver) Xs Max 256GB
    Carrier(s)
    (Dual Sim) T-Mobile - Unleash the Data Hounds!!! Xfinity Mobile (Verizon)
    Feedback Score
    0
    Reddit = IG
    HoFo = FB


    Sent from my iPhone using HoFo
    Hofo Veteran - Magenta Disciple

  6. #21
    Join Date
    May 2021
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    60
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile/Verizon
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by rain9613 View Post
    It's funny no one posts on HF anymore seems like everyone is posting on Reddit
    With the likes of Jack Hagar it’s no wonder. He finally banned after all his over the top Verizon cheer leading. the moderators made the right decision.

  7. #22
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    1,945
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Wide_opeN View Post
    Reddit = IG
    HoFo = FB
    More like:
    Reddit = TikTok
    HoFo = IG

    Finding accurate and useful information is difficult (for me). I'm in my late 40s.

    I find it difficult to read posts given its structures. It's not the traditional forum format like Howard Forums.

    One can't deny Reddit is a cesspool of hate, bias, and misinformation. Whatever the sub-mod wants it to be. Ditto with TikTok. Misinformation is rampant there and TikTok has more viewers and subscribers than YouTube the last time I checked. People love it when they see others dancing around like monkeys or showing off their facial skills, especially when inserting things into their mouths.

    With Reddit, it's the number of upvotes/likes that determine if a post or comment has any relevance or value. Where do you think Reddit got that from? From FB of course, except Reddit made it worse by adding karma points and a downvote option.

    Many subs made it impossible to post a request for information unless you have a certain number of "likes" or karma posts attached to your profile. Team Reddit discourages lurkers. There's constant karma manipulation. Post something woke or pics of something cutesy especially with, animals, or give a shout-out will almost guarantee you several hundred or thousands of karma points.

    One can post 100% indisputable, peer-reviewed, evidence-based facts and you'll have the trolls of that sub downvote your comment which will affect your profile.

    The up-and-down voting is often malicious on Reddit. The mods of these subs are you and me without any skill. We can be a complete ****** and douche and it's all good. As long as you're not anti-woke or anti-PC. In fact, it seems most Redditers love mods who treat them and others like sheet.

    I feel both Reddit and TikTok like Facebook are contributing to social media dysfunction and altering one's perception of reality.

  8. #23
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    6,571
    Device(s)
    iPhone (Silver) Xs Max 256GB
    Carrier(s)
    (Dual Sim) T-Mobile - Unleash the Data Hounds!!! Xfinity Mobile (Verizon)
    Feedback Score
    0
    [QUOTE=GVRD777;17246734]More like:
    Reddit = TikTok
    HoFo = IG


    I feel both Reddit and TikTok like Facebook are contributing to social media dysfunction and altering one's perception of reality.
    FACTS!! HoFo will always have a Special Place... People nowadays have EXTREME ADHD...

    I 've adapted however, I now scroll and peruse based on MOOD > Wrote.




    Sent from my iPhone using HoFo

  9. #24
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    1,945
    Feedback Score
    0
    [QUOTE=Wide_opeN;17246835]
    Quote Originally Posted by GVRD777 View Post
    More like:
    Reddit = TikTok
    HoFo = IG
    FACTS!! HoFo will always have a Special Place... People nowadays have EXTREME ADHD...

    I 've adapted however, I now scroll and peruse based on MOOD > Wrote.
    And it's all about "positive/good vibes" which always generate hundreds of upvotes or likes. Toxic optimism/positivity is real and if you say or write anything which can be construed as "negative", you're flamed. This applies to the workplace too.

    As far as adapting goes, I avoid YouTube whenever possible, when I can't I use an adblocker plus sponsor blocker. I won't go near Reddit or TikTok.

  10. #25
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    GTA
    Posts
    1,326
    Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra 1Tb
    Carrier(s)
    Freedom Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    I remember being very active at HoFo and some other tech forums around 20 years ago. It was such fun customizing my Nokia phones with ringtones, wallpapers, logos and games etc.

    Now as I have aged... I do not have that much passion and time to mod any hone I have... so I mostly run stock.

    But If I ever need any info.. I do post on reddit.. as they usually have the information.

    The forums from 20 years ago are all dead. I am surprised HoFo is still hanging on... I just had a quick look around and most of the sub-forums have no new topics posted and very little discussion... so who knows when Howard will get tired of hosting it and shut it down... it will be the end of an era!
    Last edited by Trekker; 03-28-2023 at 09:28 AM. Reason: spellcheck
    Pakistan Zindabad!
    __________________
    I am... Locutus of Borg...

    Past Phones:

    Nokia:
    5160 | 3310 | 7110 | 8210 | 5210 | 7250 | 7250i | 7600 | 3200 | 6230 | 6600
    Motorola: V50 | V3 RZR
    Sony Ericsson: T68i
    Samsung: A800 | T100 | D500 | D600 | Note 9
    HandSpring: Treo 600
    PalmOne: Treo 650 | Treo 680
    Huawei: IDEOS U8150
    BLU: Life Play
    Motorola: Moto G (2nd Generation)
    LG: G4

    Samsung:
    Galaxy S22 Ultra 1Tb <- Current

  11. #26
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    1,945
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Trekker View Post
    I remember being very active at HoFo and some other tech forums around 20 years ago. It was such fun customizing my Nokia phones with ringtones, wallpapers, logos and games etc.

    Now as I have aged... I do not have that much passion and time to mod any hone I have... so I mostly run stock.

    But If I ever need any info.. I do post on reddit.. as they usually have the information.

    The forums from 20 years ago are all dead. I am surprised HoFo is still hanging on... I just had a quick look around and most of the sub-forums have no new topics posted and very little discussion... so who knows when Howard will get tired of hosting it and shut it down... it will be the end of an era!
    I believe I saw your posts, Trekker over the years.

    I haven't found any meaningful and accurate information on Reddit whatsoever. In my experience gaslighters and trolls dominate a particular, every sub. They use various passive-aggressive and other forms of intimidation, troll-like, bullying tactics to shape their sub as they see fit. Worst of all, many provide inaccurate information or misrepresent the facts.

    Any information which is shared, accurate or not with, say, tech support or whoever is quickly dismissed. Perhaps one day when AI chatbots take over moderating every single sub on Reddit, it might become enjoyable and a place with accurate and verifiable information.

  12. #27
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    6,872
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by GVRD777 View Post
    I believe I saw your posts, Trekker over the years.

    I haven't found any meaningful and accurate information on Reddit whatsoever. In my experience gaslighters and trolls dominate a particular, every sub. They use various passive-aggressive and other forms of intimidation, troll-like, bullying tactics to shape their sub as they see fit. Worst of all, many provide inaccurate information or misrepresent the facts.

    Any information which is shared, accurate or not with, say, tech support or whoever is quickly dismissed. Perhaps one day when AI chatbots take over moderating every single sub on Reddit, it might become enjoyable and a place with accurate and verifiable information.
    There are 3.5 million subreddits. No doubt some of them are as you describe. I have not found that to be the case in the few I participate in.

  13. #28
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    1,945
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    There are 3.5 million subreddits. No doubt some of them are as you describe. I have not found that to be the case in the few I participate in.
    As the expression goes, it's quality, not quantity that matters. I know quite a few subs which have very little active or new content.

    Interestingly, there's one "local" sub with a crazy amount of posts that tourists might visit for info that is "unhealthy". Many (I'm not exaggerating) who have criticized the sub (respectfully) find themselves to be quickly banned, but not before the trolls downvote them which affects their overall karma score This makes it very difficult for a noobie who signed up just to ask for help or information.

    Even some medical "support" subs are this way too. One, in particular, sub allows blatant misinformation. It's acknowledged by the mod(s) but they won't even lock or delete the post, rather only add a disclaimer that it's not fact-based. Then a debate starts. It seems many subs like controversy and drama. However, if you challenge the mods, you're banned. I can go on and on.

    I'm confident many people find the content on Tik Tok with its carjacking challenges and Truth Social to be meaningful too. It's unfortunate, but my perspective on social media now, compared to 20 years ago is nothing short of a cesspool.

  14. #29
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    1,281
    Carrier(s)
    310-150, 310-260, FP (WMT & TGT)
    Feedback Score
    0
    Digging up this kind of old thread, but I thought I'd at least share some things that are going on with Reddit. In case you hadn't heard, they're basically eliminating all third-party clients, a void that was filled (and encouraged) early on when Reddit had no mobile client of their own. Rather than just turn things off, they dangled the idea of a pricing structure for API access back in April and then announced the amount recently and it's a bit absurd.

    Most clients will shut down on June 30th, including Apollo (a well-liked and popular iOS client), Narwhal, Reddit is Fun, Sync, Boost, and others. Apollo was notably in the crosshairs because it was popular and its developer was quite transparent about the whole thing - unfortunately, there were accusations about excessive, sloppy usage of the API from Reddit (without any actual proof) and allegations of threats/blackmail (which also appear to be untrue based on recordings): https://www.reddit.com/r/apolloapp/c..._30th_reddits/

    Nonetheless, after sitting through the Twitter drama and now this, I'm really tired of companies creating environments for others to add to their ecosystem (even if you argue that these clients have "free access" to the content, the users of third-party apps are often generating more content for the sites for free) and it seems that Reddit's leadership is especially terrible.

    Between the crappiness of the first-party client and the general tone of the site, I think I'll be on there a lot less. While /r/nocontract, /r/cricketwireless, /r/tmobile, and r/att have generally been good places, I'd much rather contribute here. Besides that, it seems that this site sort of skips the "tier 1" type posts of "I didn't pay my bill and now my phone doesn't work, so what should I do?"

    (I know this isn't an airport and no one cares that I'm announcing a departure, mostly this post is to catch some folks up on the Reddit drama and how this site still has a lot of value in this day and age.)

  15. #30
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    1,945
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by ecs0013 View Post
    Digging up this kind of old thread, but I thought I'd at least share some things that are going on with Reddit. In case you hadn't heard, they're basically eliminating all third-party clients, a void that was filled (and encouraged) early on when Reddit had no mobile client of their own. Rather than just turn things off, they dangled the idea of a pricing structure for API access back in April and then announced the amount recently and it's a bit absurd.
    I feel this is a non-issue. Very few users of reddit use third party clients unlike Twitter but I can understand the frustration. The asshats of reddit are mirroring Musk and I wouldn't t be surprised if this becomes the trend.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 30
    Last Post: 11-01-2015, 08:26 PM
  2. Lollipop Getting Spanked on Reddit With Article
    By actinic in forum Android OS Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-05-2015, 05:25 PM
  3. My LG G3 reddit AMA
    By acurrie in forum LG
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-05-2014, 05:25 PM
  4. Senior T-Mobile RF Engineer doing Reddit AMA
    By alpinestars in forum T-Mobile
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-13-2012, 12:18 PM
  5. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-06-2012, 05:39 PM

Bookmarks