Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Goodbye Tracfone

Feedback Score

Goodbye Tracfone

After about 25 yrs, since the days when it was Topp Mobile, using TF as my daily driver is soon over. I still have a backup on TF that I will keep until it expires. That would be 3 to 7 years depending on being able to combine the balances and service from my daily driver. I called Corp and was assured that they could port out my number and combine it's balances. It is TF so who knows if they can do it.

I am just tired of fighting with them over WiFi-Calling. Before they forced me off the TF/T-Mobile sim that I had been using where everything worked and I had excellent service, I now have the TF/Verizon sim with crappy service and no WiFi-Calling. With T-Mobile I got download speeds in the 130's, with Verizon it is 7.

As far as where to go...there are a number of T-Mobile MVNOs that I have researched. I am leaning towards Mint. Can get the first 6 months of 4gb data and unlimited TT for $45. After that $180 a year. If you download their App and run it, you are given an option to get a trial sim. It gives you 250/250/250mb for 7 days. Sounded good except the two things I wanted to test (WiFi-Calling and Hotspot) are not supported with the free trial. Only found out about the limitations after installing and spending 45 min with their CS. I was a bit concerned when I told the CSR that I was having problems saving the APN (they have you set manually) when he asked what an APN was.

Anyone have experience with Mint? Their CS says that they don't have a problem with sim swapping so I should be able to compare the 5g speeds I get with my backup Moto G 5G on Verizon (in the 80's download) with T-Mobile after the 5G unlocks in Feb.

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    As Tracfone loses customers the only way for them to offset the loss is to steal more of the remaining customers' built-up airtime. Do not let a CSR see how much you have built up or the CSR will tag it for theft by the "loss prevention department". And who can possibly "prove" where it all came from over the years? Use your points for unstealable phones, not for excessive airtime that is so easily stolen.

Feedback Score
    I hear you cv.

I don't trust my TF BYOD/ATT lines. Either as they are now, or if they get forced to Verizon. I just don't want to get stranded somewhere because of some tomfoolery with TF service.

So I just use the lines as convenient burners when dealing with certain people.

Meanwhile, I got some nice numbers on Numberbarn and put them on Tello.

Device(s)
    Samsung S22, Samsung A51, Pixel 4a
    Carrier(s)
    TF/Verizon, Walmart Freedompop, FreeUP AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Tracfancier View Post
    Do not let a CSR see how much you have built up.
    How do you do that? TF Loss Prevention Dept can certainly access any account without needing to obtain the owner's permission. A rep must be able to access your account and see your info before you can get help.

Device(s)
    Samsung S22, Samsung A51, Pixel 4a
    Carrier(s)
    TF/Verizon, Walmart Freedompop, FreeUP AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I'm still hanging in there with TF. My phones work fine on TF/Verizon. I don't use Data for streaming or surfing the Internet, so speed isn't important to me. I don't use WiFi Calling so don't care about it. I have lots of days and units on my 3 phones, no reasons to give them up. The Rewards program can be aggravating sometimes, but it's been very profitable for me.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    I'm still hanging in there with TF. My phones work fine on TF/Verizon. I don't use Data for streaming or surfing the Internet, so speed isn't important to me. I don't use WiFi Calling so don't care about it. I have lots of days and units on my 3 phones, no reasons to give them up. The Rewards program can be aggravating sometimes, but it's been very profitable for me.
    The big one for me is WiFi-Calling. The Verizon coverage where I live is terrible and WiFi-Calling helps with that. Like you, I don't stream and the 4gb of data I have on my DD has been there for years. So, the 4gb of data on Mint would certainly be enough. Unlike you, I have not participated in the Rewards Program.

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    How do you do that? TF Loss Prevention Dept can certainly access any account without needing to obtain the owner's permission. A rep must be able to access your account and see your info before you can get help.
    I believe Loss prevention is lazy and lives off of CS tips. I would no longer advise building up large buckets.
    I understand convincing others is better achieved through their own experience with loss prevention.

Feedback Score
    Check out T-Mobile prepaid, UT/UT/ 3gb data,
    15.00 a month.

Save with Pre paid cards thru Target,

Feedback Score
    I need WiFi calling to have Verizon coverage in my house, at best I will very occasionally get 1 bar. I spent scores of days and dozens of calls with TF, to finally get it to work.

I’ve been doing the T-Mobile 90 day “network pass” on my phone esim. WiFi calling works flawlessly. Both Tello & Mint CS said that my experience with TM directly will be “closely replicated” with them, which has locally been confirmed.

Tello (again, from people locally) gets higher CS marks than Mint, though Mint still has far fewer HUCA needs.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tftess View Post
    I need WiFi calling to have Verizon coverage in my house, at best I will very occasionally get 1 bar. I spent scores of days and dozens of calls with TF, to finally get it to work.

I’ve been doing the T-Mobile 90 day “network pass” on my phone esim. WiFi calling works flawlessly. Both Tello & Mint CS said that my experience with TM directly will be “closely replicated” with them, which has locally been confirmed.

Tello (again, from people locally) gets higher CS marks than Mint, though Mint still has far fewer HUCA needs.
    I can confirm that my Tello CS experiences over the years were great.

Device(s)
    iPhone XR, iPhone 7
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone, Verizon - Tracfone AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Don't forget US Mobile offers T Mobile service

I use them for Verizon on my mom's phone, but they are my goto if TF craps out.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cv91913 View Post
    The big one for me is WiFi-Calling. The Verizon coverage where I live is terrible and WiFi-Calling helps with that. Like you, I don't stream and the 4gb of data I have on my DD has been there for years. So, the 4gb of data on Mint would certainly be enough. Unlike you, I have not participated in the Rewards Program.
    I too live in an area where TF/V service is very spotty, and need wifi calling. I got tired of calling Trac and executive resolutions to get wifi calling. No dice. I recently had a TCL Flip2 from Trac unlocked. Went with Red Pocket T Mo. Success, wifi calling works, and to boot, T Mo has better 4G VOLTE coverage in my area. Check the Ebay Red Pocket store for deals.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I think you’re one of the few who has been with TracFone longer than I have! What was your first phone with them?

I don’t blame you though, Wi-Fi Calling should not be a hard thing to have working. They just don’t know what they’re doing. It’s like that with so many things. My primary service has been T-Mobile postpaid for well over 20 years and despite hiccups while they transitioned from 2G to 3G, then 3G to 4G, and finally 4G to 5G.. service has been great.

A relative was on Mint for a couple years, she loved it. I highly recommend Tello or as someone mentioned, T-Mobile’s own prepaid service. Lots of bang for your buck and as you mentioned, no issues SIM swapping between phones. You lose some luxuries like a balance that can be extended for years but it just works. I’m perfectly content paying Tello $6/mo for one of my spare lines even if it’d be a little cheaper on TF for low usage.

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo
    Castrol EDGE 0W-20 is my drug of choice.

Primary: iPhone 13 Pro (T-Mobile & AT&T); Galaxy S21+ (Verizon)
    Mobile Broadband: Franklin T10 LTE hotspot (5GB for $8.50) / iPad mini 6 5G (unlimited 5G data)

Feedback Score
    I'll hang onto my Tracfones that have a lot of service built up for as long as they last. I don't trust TF to not terminate any of them at any time, even as a glitch. I moved all my contacts to using a Google Voice number ringing to the GV app so it doesn't matter what my cell number is. In the future I can hop to some other cell service without bothering to port a phone number.

Feedback Score
    Google Voice is the answer for sure. For the handful of places that don't accept it I use a legacy freeup sim. Their customer service and so far keeping the free plan has made me a free agent for service. Three month TMobile trial, three month us mobile trial, one month Verizon trial, with a tello account renewing and building one gig more each month at $6 has meant I only deal with TracFone while their rewards program is worthwhile.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast