Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Google Voice help/advice!

Device(s)
    Moto G Stylus (2021) Pixel 3 XL
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone-since 2005
    Feedback Score

Google Voice help/advice!

All of a sudden my GV Number won't ring on an incomming. Did a search and others are having the same issue. This morn I deleted and reinstalled the GV app and all is good. Anyone else having trouble?

Device(s)
    Pixel 3a XL; Moto E4; LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    Google Voice; T-Mobile Postpaid Mobile Data; FreedomPop; FreeUp; Dent; 3UK
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tlippy View Post
    All of a sudden my GV Number won't ring on an incomming. Did a search and others are having the same issue. This morn I deleted and reinstalled the GV app and all is good. Anyone else having trouble?
    It seems like there have always been ongoing complaints about incoming GV calls not ringing for some people or some phones. Where did you see the issues reported today? Were the reports actually from today?

But it could also be a problem with the latest app release, if you've had no trouble up until now. I have my app updates set to manual, and always wait quite a while before I install any new GV app version.

However, if your GV app hasn't updated recently, it's also possible that there's something going on with the system itself. I received a few calls already early this morning, and the GV app rang for me. But nobody has called me for a few hours. I use my GV #s over data only.

Device(s)
    Moto G Stylus (2021) Pixel 3 XL
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone-since 2005
    Feedback Score
    Didn't pay attention to "date of complaints". Seems like the complaints happened after a GV app update.

Feedback Score
    Yesterday a GV call rang ok to the GV app on my old Samsung Galaxy S7. I haven't had a call yet today to see if it still works.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    I just did some more testing, and several test calls to all 3 of my GV #s that are set up in my GV app, from Tracfone Vzw (Moto G Pure), FreeUp AT&T (LG Phoenix 2), and TextNow VoIP via T-Mobile data (Moto G Pure), and all rang in the GV app on my Pixel 3a XL. I've also received another call from my wife's AT&T #, and my GV app also rang for that.

I finally just updated my 3a XL to Android 12 yesterday. I also just updated my GV app to the latest available, released 12/5/22, before I did the above testing. And to repeat, i use all 3 of my GV #s as VoIP in the GV app over data only.

tlippy , are you using your GV # with a forwarding #, or as VoIP over data only?

Feedback Score
    I have GV setup on my S4 tablet and a Moto X4. I just made a call to GV#. The S4 rang as usual but the X4 did not. It showed some notifications about updating and syncing. When I tried the call again, both devices rang as usual. I think there was a GV app update recently but I don't use it enough to know when something changed.

Feedback Score
    I have four phones all tuned to the same GV number.

It is a crapshoot as to which, if any, of the phones will ring.

A little while ago, only one rang for an incoming call that had plenty of rings to give everyone a chance to detect it.

I have noticed this before, so I don't rely on this app.

Feedback Score
    i have GV forwarded to cellular on my main personal android device and I also use over Wifi and Cellular data on my work device(iPhone). i often times have other device in the mix as well.

i have noticed in recent weeks I get 10 or 15 seconds of ringing on my wifi/cellular devices first before my forward devices begin ringing. this is pretty consistent. they used to start ringing at the same time. i wonder if this is intentional to save google money on call forwarding.

if i am in an unknown location I usually wait for the forward device to ring since i often times have call quality issues over cellular.

Device(s)
    LG Aristo 2 Plus (T-Mo); Moto G Power 2020 (PPC)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile Prepaid & Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    For me, the only reliable way to get an incoming GV call is via the linked number (forwarded phone over cellular). On my two Moto G Power 2020s, incoming calls via the app can either ring, or just show an incoming call alert on screen with no audible ring, or fall back to going over cellular. Quite inconsistent, unfortunately. And this is with the app set to "Prefer Wi-Fi and mobile data" in the Making and receiving calls section.

Feedback Score
    Adding in that I have exclusively used Google voice for probably five years over so many phones and it is definitely unreliable for app based answering. Especially on Samsung phones that do their own excessive power management and seemingly kill apps.

Device(s)
    motoGplay AT&T , Verizon
    Carrier(s)
    ATT
    Feedback Score
    Wow! I have been using GV for many years and have never had a problem, Actually, through no fault of Google a slight problem in that the very few people whom I have given the number invariably are the type who merely hit "reply" instead of looking for or even dialing a number.

Device(s)
    LG Aristo 2 Plus (T-Mo); Moto G Power 2020 (PPC)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile Prepaid & Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    I've been using GV for a little over 12 years, most of the time just using the forwarding over cellular method for incoming calls, since that's how it started out. Even after having the first, then the second generation of the Android app, I didn't mess around with the VoIP function much because, since I operate without always-on mobile data, I didn't want to have to remember to make a switch selection when leaving a cozy Wi-Fi saturated building. The "Prefer Wi-Fi or data" selection/option didn't always exist, although it did imply that it had you covered no matter what kind of signal you had available. But in the past couple of years I've gotten into it a bit, although I have come to the same conclusion that pitflyer has. For texting though, no problems at all. Although I wish it still forwarded SMS texts the way it originally did.

Device(s)
    BB 8320
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    For the past several years, I've been using GV with data. I've recently switched to using my carrier and an old familiar problem has resurrected itself. If I don't answer, it's potluck as to whether it will forward to GV or carrier Voce Mail. I vaguely recall that the solution was to extend the ring-before-forward time so that GV would intercept. I want all VM to go to GV. Is there a best known method to force that?

Device(s)
    Samsung A52 5G, Moto G Power, Moto E6
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T, H2o, Tracfone, Red Pocket
    Feedback Score
    If you have AT&T check to see if you have all the appropriate options checked;

-Forward when busy
    -Forward when unanswered
    -Forward when unreachable

Not sure if Verizon & T-Mobile have all these options?

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Do you have conditional call forwarding set up correctly for your carrier #? Believe it or not, that can make a difference.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast