Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Do you think AT&T will ever change the 128 Kbps speed cap/limit once you go over your high speed hs

Feedback Score

Do you think AT&T will ever change the 128 Kbps speed cap/limit once you go over your high speed hs

Do you think AT&T will ever change the 128 Kbps speed cap/limit once you go over your high speed hotspot usage on the the unlimited plans ?

To say 512 Kbps at least ?

I highly doubt it but curious what other people think.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ng4ever View Post
    Do you think AT&T will ever change the 128 Kbps speed cap/limit once you go over your high speed hotspot usage on the the unlimited plans ?

Going to 512Kbps is very unlikely. At 512 you can stream low res Youtube and Netflix and people would do that for hours, and hours, and hours.

JMHO

Device(s)
    iPhone, iPad, Netgear Nighthawk mobile hotspot
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    Going to 512Kbps is very unlikely. At 512 you can stream low res Youtube and Netflix and people would do that for hours, and hours, and hours.

JMHO
    Verizon already does 600 Kbps.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by VVivian View Post
    But at what price vs AT&T that started this question.

There is no info about what plans are being discussed.

Device(s)
    iPhone, iPad, Netgear Nighthawk mobile hotspot
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    My point was that AT&T’s biggest competitor is already doing a higher throttled hotspot speed limit, so if AT&T starts to lose more customers to Verizon, raising their throttle speed would be one thing they could do to lure people back.

Device(s)
    iPhone 13 Pro, Razr 5G 2020
    Carrier(s)
    ·T···Mobile· USA, AT$T
    Feedback Score
    Hell, even T-Mobile does a 600kbps throttle.

AT&T's is the only one that's essentially unusable once you reach the tethering threshold, and i'm not sure why it's not bumped to something at least usable for one device.

even via Visible.. verizon customers can get essentially unlimited 5Mbps hotspot, and it usually works okay
    T-Mobile: Magenta Amplified

Feedback Score
    Visible is truly unlimited.

ATT making the low speed throttle unusable is 100% intentional.

They are saying, if you want different, don't let the door hit you in the arse on your way to TMO or VZW.

VIVE LA DIFFÉRENCE !!

Device(s)
    iPhone 13 Pro Max 256Gb
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    I think AT&T would rather have their customers bump up to a more expensive higher tiered plan with more premium hotspot data, than offer a more reasonable low rate speed after hotspot usage has depleted. 128 is completely useless for streaming, but enough to check emails at a very slowly speed.
    HowardForums Veteran Circa 2004

Feedback Score
    I'm on grandfathered unlimited plus plan using about 600gb I sometimes see throttling during peak periods but speed isn't reduced to 128kb ever

Sent from my Pixel 6 using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    ·T···Mobile· USA, AT$T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rain9613 View Post
    I'm on grandfathered unlimited plus plan using about 600gb I sometimes see throttling during peak periods but speed isn't reduced to 128kb ever

This thread is talking about official mobile hotspot usage, from a phone line using the allotted hotspot data.

Device(s)
    iPhone 7 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rain9613 View Post

I would not call it “throttling” that’s just network management because you’re on a busy tower. Just making clarification as throttling usually is a hard limit that has been reached. I have that same plan btw and it’s awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using HoFo
    Alex
    Teamsters Local 399
    "American by birth, teamster by the grace of God"

Feedback Score
    It is difficult to predict what AT&T's future plans may be regarding their data speed caps. However, it's worth noting that 512 kbps is considered a slow internet speed and may not be sufficient for many modern internet usage. It's also worth noting that many unlimited plans include a soft data cap or "network management" policies that slow down speeds for heavy users during peak usage times. It's always a good idea to check the fine print of your plan and to stay informed about any changes to the policy.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    ·T···Mobile· USA, AT$T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by moriischristian View Post
    It is difficult to predict what AT&T's future plans may be regarding their data speed caps. However, it's worth noting that 512 kbps is considered a slow internet speed and may not be sufficient for many modern internet usage. It's also worth noting that many unlimited plans include a soft data cap or "network management" policies that slow down speeds for heavy users during peak usage times. It's always a good idea to check the fine print of your plan and to stay informed about any changes to the policy.
    my other SIM cards are 600kbps hard throttle when you hit the MHS limit - it's usable for anything but video streaming.. everything else loads in a respectable time.

Device(s)
    iPhone 12 Pro, iPhone SE 2016
    Carrier(s)
    Visible+, Mobi, Boom
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ng4ever View Post

Since you left it open ended. Do you think ATT will EVER change the speed cap? I would have to answer YES. As long as ATT remains in the industry long enough. I can't see if ATT is still in the wireless market in 50 years, for instance, that they would still have the same limit

It may still be limited in a 1 or 2 year time frame, but it seems the market has been more toward deprioritization limits or bumping up the amount of data.
    iPhone 12 Pro is my current phone I carry.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by VVivian View Post
    Really interesting, thanks for letting all of us know. Anyone who needs (usable) data speeds, just switch to T-Mobile or Verizon!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast