Thread: Galaxy s8 No longer compatible with Tracfone- Verizon??

Feedback Score

Angry Galaxy s8 No longer compatible with Tracfone- Verizon??

Today my Galaxy s8 was not working and we got a message stating "no network available."
    I called Tracfone and after 29 mins on hold was told that my number was ported to another phone. After another hour with tech support I am told that this phone is no longer compatible with Verizon network and I need a new phone.

Is this true?

Last year we were informed that we needed new SIM cards, which we purchased and have used for the past year. Now I'm told this phone is no longer compatible. Can someone confirm?

If so, what other pay as you go phone service will work with this phone? Seems like since Verizon took over Tracfone in my area I might not be able to continue using this Galaxy or Tracfone.
    Thanks.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Nan Dee View Post
    Today my Galaxy s8 was not working and we got a message stating "no network available."
    I called Tracfone and after 29 mins on hold was told that my number was ported to another phone. After another hour with tech support I am told that this phone is no longer compatible with Verizon network and I need a new phone.

Is this true?

Last year we were informed that we needed new SIM cards, which we purchased and have used for the past year. Now I'm told this phone is no longer compatible. Can someone confirm?

If so, what other pay as you go phone service will work with this phone? Seems like since Verizon took over Tracfone in my area I might not be able to continue using this Galaxy or Tracfone.
    Thanks.
    what model is your galaxy S8 ??

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Nan Dee View Post
    was told that my number was ported to another phone.
    I wonder about stuff like this. A few months ago I had a reconditioned Tracfone that I activated with a new number. Later the Add A Line points did not vest. When I complained they told me that it has been activated with a transfer, not a new number. One thing that supports this is that the phone had an active auto refill plan on it, being charged to someone else's credit card (I turned off the auto refill as soon as I could). I did finally convince them that I had activated with a new number and if their system did it as a transfer that it was on them. Did someone lose their number and service when my phone was activated?

I no longer trust Tracfone to maintain my number and service. I have a couple phones with years of service time built up and I will use them, but I moved all my contacts to using a Google Voice number that rings to GV app on the phones. It won't matter what my cell number is any more.

Feedback Score
    A few questions. What is the model number of the S8? What version of Android is it running? In Settings->Connections->Mobile is there a toggle for something like VoLTE or HD calling or advanced calling? If so, is it on? If not, turn it on and restart the phone. Also make sure the network mode is set to LTE/CDMA, not Global.

Use the phone dialer and enter *#*#4636#*#*. You don't need to hit call. A service menu should pop up. If it doesn't (Samsung sometimes disables the code dial) you can install the Google Phone app and set it to default. You can set it back to Samsung Dialer when done. If you get into the menu, select phone info and scroll down until you see some toggle switches. One of them should be VoLTE. If it is not there, the phone is not capable and won't work with Verizon. If it is there but greyed out and off, TF CSR may be able to turn it on or a new sim might. If it is on, it is a problem with Verizon blocking it.
    Last edited by cv91913; 01-05-2023 at 06:54 PM. Reason: Added info