Thread: Cox Mobile sparks national launch, confirms Verizon as MVNO partner

Device(s)
    iPhone 13 Mini
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile US
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

Cox Mobile sparks national launch, confirms Verizon as MVNO partner

“The Internet wasn’t meant to be metered in bits and bytes, so it’s insane that wireless companies are still making you buy it this way. The rate plan is dead — it’s a fossil from a time when wireless was metered by every call or text.” John Legere 1/5/2017

Device(s)
    iPhone 12 Pro, iPhone SE 2016
    Carrier(s)
    Visible+, Mobi, Boom
    Feedback Score
    My sister, who currently has cox for home internet/TV/home phone has expressed an interest to me of moving her home phone to something cheaper. This is a "home" line, not her personal cell phone. This would probably be the easiest way for her to save money. Should be able to do it in a local Cox store, not have to go outside the company.

And $15+tax isn't bad.

T-Mobile prepaid would be $10+tax a month, but would involve porting from a landline type account so take longer. And she has never ported (her personal cell phone has been with the same carrier since she signed up with Voicestream in the 90s, which was purchased by T-Mobile).

Once she is on a cell carrier, and can then port to Google Voice, that may be a cheaper option in the future. Baby steps.
    iPhone 12 Pro is my current phone I carry.

Feedback Score
    Cox Cable tried breaking into wireless before (first time stand-alone, then MVNO of Sprint), at least in my market area (Hampton Roads, Virginia).
    I don't see why this time would be successful...

https://insidetowers.com/cell-tower-...ireless-again/

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SoNic67 View Post
    Cox Cable tried breaking into wireless before (first time stand-alone, then MVNO of Sprint), at least in my market area (Hampton Roads, Virginia).
    I don't see why this time would be successful...

https://insidetowers.com/cell-tower-...ireless-again/
    They're using Verizon this time. That could make a huge difference from using the horrible Sprint network.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Visible+, Mobi, Boom
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    They're using Verizon this time. That could make a huge difference from using the horrible Sprint network.
    And maybe several years of experience with the other cable companies can show Cox what to do or don't do.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kevink1 View Post
    And maybe several years of experience with the other cable companies can show Cox what to do or don't do.
    Possibly so. I don't have a prediction. By this point I'm pretty sure that Verizon knows how to work with, and profit from, cable companies.

I have Cox cable. Their new cellular phone service does not allow BYO phones - not interested. The price isn't real compelling either to me. To some people paying ~100 a month for Verizon postpaid it might be.

Carrier(s)
    Sprint/T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Possibly so. I don't have a prediction. By this point I'm pretty sure that Verizon knows how to work with, and profit from, cable companies.

I have Cox cable. Their new cellular phone service does not allow BYO phones - not interested. The price isn't real compelling either to me. To some people paying ~100 a month for Verizon postpaid it might be.
    Their pricing is odd, and definitely a little different than xfinity and spectrum. The $15 1 gig plan about matches up (spectrum is $14) but the 20gb unlimited plan is $15 higher than spectrum charges for the same plan. Spectrum also has a higher tier plan with 30gb and 720p streaming for $39, so cox pricing is definitely odd. Not offering byod at launch also is a little puzzling (though if I remember, spectrum didn’t at launch either).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    It's not that they know or not what to do this time.
    Is that the VZW MVNO market is very weird and competitive, especially since the purchase of Tracfone. What would make somebody move to Cox? With that limited market area? Roaming everywhere else?
    IDK, wish them good luck.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SoNic67 View Post
    It's not that they know or not what to do this time.
    Is that the VZW MVNO market is very weird and competitive, especially since the purchase of Tracfone. What would make somebody move to Cox? With that limited market area? Roaming everywhere else?
    IDK, wish them good luck.
    They get full nationwide Verizon MVNO coverage.

Sent from my moto g(6) using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Visible+, Mobi, Boom
    Feedback Score

I hadn't seen that they don't allow BYOD. Yet, I assume. So no deal for her, she has an old iPhone that would work fine for Verizon VoLTE. Especially since it would almost always be at home with Cox internet.

Carrier(s)
    Sprint/T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    They get full nationwide Verizon MVNO coverage.

Sent from my moto g(6) using HoFo mobile app
    If their deal is anything like the other cable operators it includes LTEiRA partner roaming as well.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Theghostlad82 View Post
    If their deal is anything like the other cable operators it includes LTEiRA partner roaming as well.
    Even better.

Even Visible on their new plans gets LTEiRA roaming. So I have heard anyway. There isn't any of that around where I live and go.

Device(s)
    LG Aristo 2 Plus (T-Mo); Moto G Power 2020 (PPC)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile Prepaid & Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    Sounds pretty much like what Comcast and Spectrum have set up.