Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Unable to make calls - Network changeover?

Device(s)
    Unlocked Samsung Galaxy S8, Unlocked Samsung Galaxy S20+
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score

Question Unable to make calls - Network changeover?

I have not been using my Page Plus PAYGO phone for calls for a few days. Today, I noticed that I could not make a call (no dial tone, nothing) and when someone calls my number, it goes straight to voicemail. I am able to send and receive texts though and my LTE data is working fine.

Is this because Verizon stopped CDMA (?) service and now needs Voice over LTE?

I have an unlocked Samsung Galaxy S8 which is VoLTE capable. However, there is no place to turn on VoLTE in the settings. Is there anything I can do myself or do I have to get hold of Customer Service?

Thanks!
    Line 1 - US Mobile Samsung Galaxy S20+ Unlocked
    Line 2 - Page Plus Samsung Galaxy S8 Unlocked

Device(s)
    Galaxy J7 Sky Pro SM-S727VL, Galaxy J3 Sky SM-S230VL, ZTE Z723EL, ZTE Z233VL
    Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk, Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    What is the model number of the S8? What is the CSC or region code that the phone is using?

You can find the model number in About phone as Model number, and the CSC or region code in About phone then Software information as Service provider software version.

This is from the CDMA shutdown. So you need to use VoLTE.

Samsung phones has a firmware issue that if you have wrong firmware, you will see issues. Normally you can reflash your phone with the right firmware and correct this.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    advcomp2019,

Thanks for your response. The information you asked for is as follows:

Model: SM-G950U1
    CSC: Not sure how to find this but the "last update" page shows it as TFN. It was purchased new directly from Samsung as XAA.

I think the VoLTE option used to show up when I had this phone on Total Wireless a long time ago but it is not showing up now. The network mode is set to LTE/CDMA.

The calls were working fine end of last year. Now, only text and data works. The network symbol shows as LTE+. I have 5-bars as signal.

I hope it is just a matter of re-provisioning by Page Plus since this S8 phone was originally on Total Wireless (another Tracfone company) and I moved the page plus SIM from an S6 to this phone when I upgraded the S8 to an S20+ on Total Wireless. When I asked Page Plus if I would require a new SIM since I was changing phones from S6 to S8, they said I just had to move the SIM to the S8 from the S6. This was unlike Total Wireless who had me purchase a new SIM when I changed from the S8 to the S20+.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    U1 and TFN tells me that it is using the right firmware.

It does sounds like the provisioning issue then.

I ran into one on reddit that sounded like they had to reprovision the SIM.

Then there was another person that has to do network reset only to get it corrected.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Thanks again advcomp2019,

I will call them up on Monday. Not sure how the support will be on the weekend. Will try if I have time.

I will update this thread after the call. Wish me luck!

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S21 5G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    For the most part, the Samsung S8 is VOLTE compatible with Verizon with few exceptions. I had an S7 fully active on Verizon VOLTE postpaid without trouble. I suspect that the VOLTE feature may not be setup at the account level as it should be. Don't forget that LTE is data and VOLTE is Voice Over LTE. Sounds like the data (LTE) is working, but not VOLTE on the phone.

Just to share, I use the S21 5G without trouble on postpaid Verizon. I no longer find the option to manually shut VOLTE on or off and I suspect your carrier hasn't fully provisioned your phone with the required features to allow VOLTE. Let us know if they resolve the issue and what they tell you. Best wishes.
    Just another day in paradise.....

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Thanks Serial Port.

I know I have had VoLTE on the phone when I had the Total Wireless SIM in it. I had checked since one of the S8 updates brought that feature and I wanted to see if it was there. I had never looked for VoLTE since then.

Looks like what you said, they need to re-provision the phone since they have never had the IMEI of this phone due to my moving the SIM from my old S6 to this S8. Wish Page Plus required the new phone IMEI to be entered on their web page so it can be set up correctly instead of just asking to move the SIM.

<fingers crossed!>

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bawaji View Post
    Looks like what you said, they need to re-provision the phone since they have never had the IMEI of this phone due to my moving the SIM from my old S6 to this S8. Wish Page Plus required the new phone IMEI to be entered on their web page so it can be set up correctly instead of just asking to move the SIM.

<fingers crossed!>
    When you move a sim the PP system auto updates the imei/sim pairing the first time you use the phone. So they have the imei of the S8. They only recommend this as long as the new phone is "compatible". Most other vzw mvno's and Verizon itself do this. I've swapped sims between phones on PP and after making calls did a quick chat with PP to make sure the imei/sim pairing was updated. It was. You can reconfirm yours when you call them. They won't tell you the imei (a security thing) but they will confirm if you tell them the last 4.

However a swap won't re provision the sim. "Compatible" could also mean OS/hardware differences in some cases so you can always have them do it, and they recommend you do if you're not 100% sure.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Thanks rpz1. I chatted with PP and they asked me for the last 4 digits for my IMEI and SIM. After that, they said they couldn't help via chat and that I had to call in. Will do so and hope they are able to fix it.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I called Page Plus 800-550-2436 number. They had me switch off and switch on the phone and then told me to turn on VoLTE. When I said I don't see the option to turn on VoLTE, they said it is because "you are getting signal from Verizon tower and have to wait till you get signal from our tower!" They asked me to wait 24hrs to see if that gets resolved. I mentioned that texts and LTE data is working just fine, and that I though Page Plus uses Verizon towers, but I got the same responses and instruction to wait 24hrs.

I will wait but am not sure if that will help. My SIM card is more than 10 years old. Would that matter? I mentioned that too but was told that the VoLTE switch depends on the phone and not on the SIM card. I also mentioned that when I had the Total Wireless SIM card in, I could see the VoLTE and Wi-Fi calling switches but it didn't help. I even asked if they need to re-provision the phone and got the same answer.

Any ideas?

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S21 5G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    bawaji, you are correct that PP does not own their own towers/network. The rep was clearly grasping at straws. Most likely, when the VOLTE option does not show on the phone as available, it is a provisioning issue that they need to correct internally when turning the phone off and back on does not work as it should. Do you know if they can see the correct make/model phone as a Samsung Galaxy S8 instead of just asking for the last 4 digits?

As a prior CS rep for 14 years for At&t, they should be able to see the make/model in their billing system. I think you were getting the run around. You might need need a newer SIM card if yours is over 10 years old as it may not be fully compatible with VOLTE (Voice over internet) but supports LTE for data only.

If you get another rep who does this to you, hang up and call back. Getting a qualified, educated rep sometimes can be like playing Russian Roulette.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Serial Port View Post
    bawaji, you are correct that PP does not own their own towers/network. The rep was clearly grasping at straws. Most likely, when the VOLTE option does not show on the phone as available, it is a provisioning issue that they need to correct internally when turning the phone off and back on does not work as it should. Do you know if they can see the correct make/model phone as a Samsung Galaxy S8 instead of just asking for the last 4 digits?

As a prior CS rep for 14 years for At&t, they should be able to see the make/model in their billing system. I think you were getting the run around. You might need need a newer SIM card if yours is over 10 years old as it may not be fully compatible with VOLTE (Voice over internet) but supports LTE for data only.

If you get another rep who does this to you, hang up and call back. Getting a qualified, educated rep sometimes can be like playing Russian Roulette.
    PP support can be clueless. I would also be suspicious of the 10 YO SIM. Having them activate a new SIM should force the account to reprovision. You can use a Tracfone SIM. There is no special SIM for PP.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    PP support can be clueless. I would also be suspicious of the 10 YO SIM. Having them activate a new SIM should force the account to reprovision. You can use a Tracfone SIM. There is no special SIM for PP.
    Some can be, and other will know what to do. I know sometimes I had to go thru 4 to 6 different CSR to get someone that knows what to do.

As for the old SIM idea, that could be the issue because I have seen some CSR just use the same provisioning that is already on the SIM, and not an up to date provisioning.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Definitely getting the runaround. Was in the middle of a chat and the agent "disconnected". Next agent asked me the same questions and I copy/pasted the previous chat. They said they couldn't do anything and have asked for tech support to call back in "15 minute". Never got the call. Will keep trying.

This is pretty disappointing. When I used their chat help a few years ago, they were very knowledgeable and responsive. Seems to have changed now.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S21 5G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bawaji View Post

This is pretty disappointing. When I used their chat help a few years ago, they were very knowledgeable and responsive. Seems to have changed now.
    Companies like this do not encourage their reps to go off script. They prefer hiring "trained monkeys" that don't question them or their policies. Sad, but true. It seems that they are more concerned about increasing the bottom line ($$) than having happy customers. Definitely not a good thing as a customer. I have used all 4 of the big postpaid networks over the years and worked for At&t/Cingular as a CS rep myself.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast