Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Red Pocket wont work.

Feedback Score

Red Pocket wont work.

Since jan 3, I cannot make a call or text on Red pocket.(Verizon went to 5G) My phone is a LG V60. Verizon. I have corresponded with Red pocket and they cant seem to find the solution. I am on the 1 year plan and just renewed it for $100 on Jan 2. Went to Verizon and they said it is Red Pockets problem. I need some help as I can't order my medicine. My network settings have always been set on "Global" Should it be changed to cdma/lte? I have always used my old Red Pocket sim card when adding money. I do have a couple of unused ones that came with my renewal every year, but not used. Should I try that? My wife is on Page Plus and phone is supposed to work on 5g and it won't work either. Person at Verizon store told me that Verizon is throttoling back service to carriers like RP and PP, so my phones may never work till switching. Help, Help , please

Device(s)
    LG Ultimate 2 L41C, HTC Evo 4G, Photon Mifi
    Carrier(s)
    Pageplus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    Does your mobile data on the phone work?

Can you send text messages out but not receive them?

What message do you get when you try to make a phone call? Do you get a "service unavailable" message?

What happens when someone tries to call you? Do they instantly go to your voice mail?

Attach a screen shot of your screen so we can see what the cell signal icon looks like.

When I have had issues like this, I call or chat with Red pocket tech support from another phone or computer and tell them to

Reset the account, provisioned for "cdma less".

Sent from my S3_Pro Umidigi using HoFo mobile app

Device(s)
    Galaxy J7 Sky Pro SM-S727VL, Galaxy J3 Sky SM-S230VL, ZTE Z723EL, ZTE Z233VL
    Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk, Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    If you want to know, this is linked to Verizon's CDMA shutdown. You must use VoLTE tho.

I do not know if your LG phone has this menu, but this has helped a few other people.

Load up the your phone app, dial in * # * # 4636 # * # *. It should load up something with Phone information, and you need to go into that menu. The look for "Set Preferred Network Type:" to LTE only or LTE/NR.

If this does not work, then it could be a SIM provisioning issue. So you will need to contact support that.

Since you did not say what phone your wife has, but it could be the same issues.

Edit: If it is a Samsung phone, it could be a firmware issues.
    Last edited by advcomp2019; 01-08-2023 at 12:00 PM.

Feedback Score
    Also if you live in a more rural area maybe you never had VoLTE and your phone was dropping to 1x/evdo(3G) and you didn't know it. Now it has no fall back. Verizon wasn't great on doing tower infill to take up the slack of the wider 3G signal range vs LTE or 5G.

Quote Originally Posted by advcomp2019 View Post
    Load up the your phone app, dial in * # * # 4636 # * # *. It should load up something with Phone information, and you need to go into that menu. The look for "Set Preferred Network Type:" to LTE only or LTE/NR.
    After you do this is there a way to save it? I changed mine and it doesn't hold, at least if I turn my phone off.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    I have done it with a few phones, and it has auto saves it to that setting.

There was even other users that has used this, and it kept the setting.

Here is another user that it helped: https://www.howardforums.com/showthr...rking-properly

Feedback Score
    I have done it with a few phones, and it has auto saves it to that setting.

There was even other users that has used this, and it kept the setting.

Here is another user that it helped: https://www.howardforums.com/showthr...rking-properly
    Thanks. I just noticed when I set it and restarted the phone, then went in to recheck it and it was back to cdma/lte. I know way back when I had to toggle VoLTE on and have had the phones shut down or restarted many times and never lost that. To bad it also doesn't add it to the network type menu in regular settings..

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rpz1 View Post
    Thanks. I just noticed when I set it and restarted the phone, then went in to recheck it and it was back to cdma/lte. I know way back when I had to toggle VoLTE on and have had the phones shut down or restarted many times and never lost that. To bad it also doesn't add it to the network type menu in regular settings..
    I do not know what phone you are dealing with, but it stays with my Samsung phone.

I used that INFO menu on my S20 FE 5G because before the CDMA shutdown, my phone was fighting between CDMA and VoLTE. One call could be using VoLTE, but the next call could be using CDMA.

So I thought I would force it to VoLTE only. I have rebooted my phone a number of times too, and it has kept the LTE/NR setting.

This happened about around a year ago when I first activated the phone. An update could have corrected this issue, but I never test for this issue since then since I knew CDMA was going away.

I know about the menu not showing the LTE/NR setting the menu after setting it.

Here is my S20 FE 5G visible menu settings after set it from CDMA/LTE to LTE/NR from the INFO menu.
    Name:  Screenshot_20230108-120920_Call settings.jpg
Views: 186
Size:  19.0 KBName:  Screenshot_20230108-120925_Call settings.jpg
Views: 188
Size:  17.7 KB

Feedback Score
    Thank for the help, I will try and work through all the suggestions and let you know what happens.

Feedback Score
    I do not know what phone you are dealing with, but it stays with my Samsung phone.
    Old school Moto E4. Haven't restarted the phone since i set it to LTE only in the hidden menu. It's still there but my phone still won't show a signal sometime when at the other side of my house (where it use to drop to cdma sometime). But I figure even with LTE only or even if I have the sim reprovisioned to cdma-less wouldn't help if I can't even get an LTE signal at that location sometime.
    Just the nature of the beast. Verizon just never did LTE tower infill to cover the lesser range of LTE vs 3G.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Just the nature of the beast. Verizon just never did LTE tower infill to cover the lesser range of LTE vs 3G.
    I know Verizon has been building towers in my area infilling with new ones. I think I have 6 or 7 new towers in my area alone in a 10 mile radius of me, and I am in a very rural part of west central part of Iowa.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S21 5G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by john11139 View Post
    Since jan 3, I cannot make a call or text on Red pocket.(Verizon went to 5G)
    Not exactly. Verizon is still using 4G along with 5G and will do so for years to come. You need a new phone and your older phone still is/was relying on a CDMA connection. There is NO requirement to buy a 5G phone anytime soon.
    Just another day in paradise.....

Device(s)
    LG Ultimate 2 L41C, HTC Evo 4G, Photon Mifi
    Carrier(s)
    Pageplus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    The LG v60 seems like a contemporary 4g/5g with volte capable phone. Op said it was working fine all this while until January 3rd

https://www.gsmarena.com/lg_v60_thinq_5g-10103.php

Last week, I got a text message from Red pocket about 5g service and that I needed to reboot my phone. When I got the text message, my cell service icon had an exclamation mark on it(!). A reboot of the phone cleared it. Nothing changed for me, I had 5g already for the last 8 months.

Sent from my motorola one 5G UW ace using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    On my phone, the setting saves after reboot or power-cycle, UNLESS, I go BACK into the regular Settings and try to even view, "Preferred network type" (which is in Network & internent - Mobile netowrk)

IF I do that, since the regular menu does NOT have any option for "LTE Only", it resets that setting to LTE/Global (or something like that)

IN THAT CASE, the phone stops working.

So my phone seems fine through reboots, as long as I don't go in to look at that setting.. in which case I'd have to go back in to the 4636 menu and set it back to "LTE only"

Not a problem.

I'm expecting that when (if) RP&VZ ever actually fix this trash on the back end universally, that my phone may stop working again, and I'd have to put that setting BACK to where it originally was.

Just my suspicion.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by alster View Post
    On my phone, the setting saves after reboot or power-cycle, UNLESS, I go BACK into the regular Settings and try to even view, "Preferred network type" (which is in Network & internent - Mobile netowrk)

IF I do that, since the regular menu does NOT have any option for "LTE Only", it resets that setting to LTE/Global (or something like that)
    Thanks. Now that I think of it, after I restarted, I believe I did go back to the regular network type menu to see if it added LTE only to that menu, which it didn't. I then went to the 4636 and saw it was back to cdma/lte. So that must be it.
    But like I mentioned before, if there's no LTE signal at a location that use to have a cdma signal, having the phone set to LTE Only or even reprovisioning a sim to cdma-less won't change that.
    Guess I'll need to keep my phone in the living room on the other side of the house.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Thanks. Now that I think of it, after I restarted, I believe I did go back to the regular network type menu to see if it added LTE only to that menu, which it didn't. I then went to the 4636 and saw it was back to cdma/lte. So that must be it.
    But like I mentioned before, if there's no LTE signal at a location that use to have a cdma signal, having the phone set to LTE Only or even reprovisioning a sim to cdma-less won't change that.
    Guess I'll need to keep my phone in the living room on the other side of the house.
    You could get a cordless phone that supports bluetooth for phone calls, and use a computer to do the texting.

Then again, you could try to get WiFi calling and even use RCS.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast