Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Experiences with combining balances on Tracfone lines

Feedback Score

Experiences with combining balances on Tracfone lines

I am starting this thread so that people can post their experiences combining balances from one TF line to another.

I just did a combine where the service days immediately increased as expected, but the minutes, texts and data did not. In the few combines that I've done, I'm used to seeing everything increase right away. Before I responded, she mentioned "All you have to do is turn the phone off and back on for the account balance to update."

So I used that time to do some more refreshes on my account and still no change. So I wrote:

It's showing that the service days were extended, but I'm not seeing that any of the minutes, texts or data were increased from the balance on the old phone.

Cherlyn: It had just been processed. Just allow the system to update the balance on its own. You can check it back later.

I suspected I was just getting the brush off and the old balances were lost. But they did show up 20 minutes later. So now I know, there can be a system delay in processing everything.

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    I also experienced that delay in showing up several weeks ago.
    Always get both phone balances in the chat transcript before allowing the CSR to proceed with the combining.

Device(s)
    Pixel 3a XL; Moto E4; LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    Google Voice; T-Mobile Postpaid Mobile Data; FreedomPop; FreeUp; Dent; 3UK
    Feedback Score
    There has been a bigger delay for the combined T/T/D to show up than there used to be, consistent with what you reported, starting around 6 to 9-ish months ago, in my experience.

I've had a 100% success rate over 20 combines. I know there are others here that have had success with multiples of that. If you're careful, everyone should have the same success rate.

Here's the script I use (others have their own scripts that also work well):

-----
    Hi. I'd like to combine the remaining balances and airtime of XXXXXXXXXX with YYYYYYYYYY, KEEPING YYYYYYYYYY.

I don't have either phone with me, but you can verify with a code to the email address on file, or with security PIN and security question for the My Account containing both phones.

Before proceeding, please verify the following:
    XXXXXXXXXX: ???? Min, ???? Text, ???? GB, ??/??/?? Expiration
    YYYYYYYYYY: ???? Min, ???? Text, ???? GB, ??/??/?? Expiration

Also, just to double verify, the # to KEEP is YYYYYYYYYY. Thanks.
    -----

I always start with both phones in the same TF My Account. I post the above in 4 different messages as soon as the TF chat system responds with what # I am in line for an agent. Also, each TF agent could have a different way to verify the ownership, most commonly sending a code to each phone, so just go through that process as needed. I rarely have both, or even one phone with me, which is why I have that second paragraph about verifying, so that can be eliminated if it doesn't apply. Also, if I ever feel uncomfortable with an agent and their ability to complete the task, I disconnect and try again with a different agent.

Feedback Score
    I've posted this experience before but posting again as a cautionary tale. I have now had 5 successful combines and 1 failure. All using the same script; all with both lines in the same account. There was no indication that the failure was going to happen -- the agent seemed knowledgeable and did not send any red flags.

As noted in the first post, in my one failure, the service days extended immediately on the correct number. The buckets had not updated, but the agent said it will take some time and terminated the chat. When they eventually updated, the buckets reflected 1 minute, 1 text, 1MB of data. I was able to get the minutes restored in the next call. The data took another two calls. For some reason, none of the agents would restore the text messages. They kept saying the line had used them all. I gave up and redeemed 500 points from an account that was about to lapse.

I seem to come out on the unlucky side of Tracfone transactions more than some of you, but just posting this to say, you can do everything right and still have the transaction go wrong.

Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Mint, Red Pocket
    Feedback Score
    I just did one this morning. I got nervous when the rep kept calling it a transfer. Also, he didn't offer a whole lot of feedback, but in the end I got the lines combined successfully. The service period extended on my logged in account screen right away but I had to log off and back in to see the updated buckets. So all good.
    *When confirming the existing buckets one text bucket was about double the actual. I let it go but it wasn't confidence inspiring. When finished, it was correct, though.

obs=1

Feedback Score
    just combine seven phone in 7 days. 50% CS have trouble to do it by either say no or system error.. other 50% just do it fine. never bother to confirm balance, I only ask new service end date by end, so I know it is right or not. seem lost one phone's minute in one transaction, all other are correct. 611611 update is very slow some time.

Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by AnciusD View Post
    I just did one this morning. I got nervous when the rep kept calling it a transfer. When finished, it was correct though.
    I was told by a Corporate CSR that what we call combining, they call transferring. Thus it is more important to adequately describe what you want to be done.

Feedback Score
    Would anyone know the best time to chat with a rep? I tried tonight, was #78 on queue at 9 pm EDT, connected at 9:18, then was disconnected at 10 pm EDT. Tried to chat again, now I'm #60 in the queue.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by acinorev17 View Post
    Would anyone know the best time to chat with a rep? I tried tonight, was #78 on queue at 9 pm EDT, connected at 9:18, then was disconnected at 10 pm EDT. Tried to chat again, now I'm #60 in the queue.
    I did a combine after 10 pm E yesterday and got through the queue in under 15 minutes. I'm not sure why you got disconnected after 42 minutes tonight. Since they close at 11:45 E, I usually avoid starting a chat after 11.

It generally seems response times seem longer after 8p or 9p (E) so I would assume they start going with fewer reps around those times.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by acinorev17 View Post
    Would anyone know the best time to chat with a rep? ....
    I remember a few months ago, tomseys had posted that early mornings had been successful for him.

Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Tracfancier View Post
    I was told by a Corporate CSR that what we call combining, they call transferring. Thus it is more important to adequately describe what you want to be done.
    Good to know, here I was following the wisdom base - lexicon updated. I said combine, he heard add...

Your position is 43 in the queue.
    Me: I want to combine two lines
    Dave:
    Thank you for visiting TracFone Wireless.
    Dave:
    Hi Valued Customer.
    Dave:
    Hello,
    Dave:
    I'll be glad to assist you today. What is the primary phone number of your account and IMEI of the phone you want to add?
    Me: I want to combine two current lines
    Dave:
    What is the primary phone number of your account and IMEI of the phone you want to add?
    Me: nnn.nnn.nnnn is the recipient #
    Last edited by AnciusD; 01-12-2023 at 12:59 PM.

Device(s)
    LG Aristo 2 Plus (T-Mo); Moto G Power 2020 (PPC)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile Prepaid & Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    This is a bit of a stumper. "... the phone you want to add"? Does he mean be added TO, or the one to add FROM?

Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by whacker View Post
    This is a bit of a stumper. "... the phone you want to add"? Does he mean be added TO, or the one to add FROM?
    Nope, he continued, after verifying me, with:

Dave:
    What is the IMEI of the phone you want to add to this account? [wut?]
    Me: xxx.xxx.xxxx is the number [donor #]
    Dave:
    Thank you. This number is already under this account. Please refresh your My Account page from a different window or phone.
    Dave:
    I just made an update. [more alarm, huh?]
    hold on, please
    Dave:
    Sure.
    Me: I want to combine the t/t/d buckets to my primary line. Can you verify my current buckets?
    Dave:
    Alright.

Dave:
    Do you mean transfer your service from one phone to another?
    Me: Yes I want to combine the donor line with the main recipient line .
    Dave:
    Alright. Let me process that for you.
    Me: can you verify by (my) talk text data for each line first?

*Finally, on the right track from here.

Device(s)
    Samsung S22, Samsung A51, Pixel 4a
    Carrier(s)
    TF/Verizon, Walmart Freedompop, FreeUP AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by AnciusD View Post
    Dave:
    Do you mean transfer your service from one phone to another?
    "Transfer your service " would raise the red flag for me.

FWIW, I don't use "transfer" or "combine". I simply asked the rep to ADD the remaining balances from the donor phone to the receiving phone. Although sometimes the rep responded with "transfer the minutes".

==============
    Dawn: Thank you for visiting TracFone Wireless.
    Dawn: How may I assist you?
    You: Hi. My phone xxx-xxx-7318 will expire in a few days. Can I have its remaining units added to my phone xxx-xxx-6668?
    Dawn: Yes, we can transfer the minutes to that number.
    Dawn: It will leave the number ending in 7318 deactivated.
    You: Yes, that's fine.
    Dawn: In order for me to assist you, I need to validate your identity.
    You: ok
    Dawn: I will text a security code to your phone ending in 7318. Please let me know the code.
    You: xxxx
    Dawn: That is correct. Thank you.
    Dawn: Your ticket number is 120507xxxx.
    Dawn: Your service will end on 09/28/20xx.
    Dawn: The minutes have been successfully transferred.
    You: Thank you very much for your help, Dawn.
    Dawn: You are welcome.

Device(s)
    iPhone SE 2022, Samsung A53 5G, Pixel 6a, iPhone 11, Samsung A51
    Carrier(s)
    TF/Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I also use a variation of Hpham's script with the add the units and time remaining on phone # A to Phone # B language with the expectation that phone A and its number will then deactivate after etc.

They seem to understand this very well. And I'll sometimes restate it a different way if I get the impression rep and I are not on the same page.

They do sometimes use the word transfer when doing a "merge/combine" and mean it the way we want them to but a transfer usually means to move a line from one phone to another. Something completely different. I usually double check that they understand me if they use the word transfer since if they actually did that it would be a very bad situation. They usually do understand though.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast