Thread: What to do about spam text messages

Device(s)
    Google Pixel 6 Pro and Google Pixel 6a
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score

What to do about spam text messages

This is not a Tracfone specific question, but I will ask it here because this is a pretty knowledgeable group.

I am receiving a lot of spam text messages recently, such as for IRS refunds. Is it best to ignore these messages or reply back "STOP"? Thanks!

Device(s)
    Samsung S22, Samsung A51, Pixel 4a
    Carrier(s)
    TF/Verizon, Walmart Freedompop, FreeUP AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Replying STOP to a spammer only confirms that your number is valid and they will keep sending to your number. You can block the number or some phones allow blocking a prefix or area code. With TF, you still get a text deducted even if it was blocked.

Device(s)
    Google Pixel 6 Pro and Google Pixel 6a
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    Replying STOP to a spammer only confirms that your number is valid and they will keep sending to your number. You can block the number or some phones allow blocking a prefix or area code. With TF, you still get a text deducted even if it was blocked.
    Thanks @hpham!

Feedback Score
    You can report them to 7726 (SPAM).

You do this by forwarding the text to 7726. Then the carrier will text you back asking for the sender's "from" address.

If you need instructions, just ask.

Device(s)
    iPhone 6S, Moto e, Lumia 635, Moto G 2nd
    Carrier(s)
    GoPhone x3, PPCx2, TMo2Go, TracfoneX3, H20, Tello
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    I know that with the UT plans this is becoming less of an issue nowadays, but it still pisses me off that the US is one of the few countries where any incoming text message, be that received or blocked, solicited or not, gets charged against the recipient's account. With email-to-text functionality I could deplete someone's balance overnight if I wanted, for free.

Feedback Score
    I don't know if the FCC helps consumers with spam texts like they help with Tracfone complaints, but I found this on FCC's website:

"Do you receive unwanted calls or texts from telemarketers? Is your own telephone number being spoofed, blocked, or labeled as a possible spam call?
    The FCC is committed to doing what we can to protect you from these unwelcome situations..."

The link also has a place to file a complaint: https://consumercomplaints.fcc.gov/h...d-Calls-Phone-

Feedback Score
    I do what Lisme wrote in post #4. I had one spammer bugging me for months, but after I started sending the texts to SPAM (7726) they finally stopped.

Feedback Score
    I installed an app called CallerHQ which sends the spams to a team of investigators. If they find the culprit they sue on your behalf. I spoke with the team and I am very impressed with the digging they do.

Feedback Score
    The best course of action is to simply ignore the spam text messages and not engage with them. Replying "STOP" or clicking on links in the message can actually confirm to the sender that your number is active, which can lead to even more spam messages. If the messages are coming from a phone number, you can block the number on your phone. If the messages are coming from an email address, you can mark the emails as spam. If the spamming is particularly persistent, you can also report it to your mobile carrier or to the Federal Trade Commission (FTC).

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S21 5G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    With my Samsung S21 5G, I go to the call/text in question and I have an option to block them in my settings. No additional application is needed.
    Just another day in paradise.....