Thread: Temporary iPhone SIM Swap

Carrier(s)
    BellSouth Mobility, AirTouch, Cingular, Verizon, StraightTalk, PagePlus, TracFone
    Feedback Score

Temporary iPhone SIM Swap

If I remove the SIM from my currently active unlocked TF iPhone SE2 and insert it my immediately previous phone, an unlocked currently inactive TF iPhone 6s— could I make calls on the 6s? Or do I need to contact TF customer service to do the switch?

In either scenario, what are the chances of screwing up my PAYGO account balances?

Feedback Score
    I would not try this with a Verizon sim.

TF is obsessed with official sim/imei pairings on Verizon. You might incur their wrath in various unpleasant ways.

Feedback Score
    Ditto.

With Verizon there is a good chance you will lose your balances. Trust me...recent experience.

Device(s)
    Galaxy J7 Sky Pro SM-S727VL, Galaxy J3 Sky SM-S230VL, ZTE Z723EL, ZTE Z233VL
    Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk, Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I know I have seen people move Verizon based SIMs in the past get their line locked. Then when these people try to figure things out, a CSR tells the person that the person was sending spam texts.

Carrier(s)
    BellSouth Mobility, AirTouch, Cingular, Verizon, StraightTalk, PagePlus, TracFone
    Feedback Score
    Mmmm, OK guys, thanks. I don't think I'm going to try it!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Lisme View Post
    I would not try this with a Verizon sim.

TF is obsessed with official sim/imei pairings on Verizon. You might incur their wrath in various unpleasant ways.
    The TF obsession with the SIM/IMEI pairing is weird. But maybe I just don't know much about what happens in their system.

I had an unlocked Tracfone phone that I didn't want any more. I gave it to a neighbor because her old tiny Android phone was hard for her to use, it was her only internet access. She has Verizon prepaid service she is happy with. I wasn't sure about how to transfer service, I've only used Tracfone myself. I went with her to the neighborhood Verizon store. The nice guy working there just swapped the active SIM card into new phone.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by eohippus View Post
    The TF obsession with the SIM/IMEI pairing is weird. But maybe I just don't know much about what happens in their system.

I had an unlocked Tracfone phone that I didn't want any more. I gave it to a neighbor because her old tiny Android phone was hard for her to use, it was her only internet access. She has Verizon prepaid service she is happy with. I wasn't sure about how to transfer service, I've only used Tracfone myself. I went with her to the neighborhood Verizon store. The nice guy working there just swapped the active SIM card into new phone.
    Yeah, seems TF is the only Verizon carrier that has an issue with sim swaps. Many blame it on Verizon itself, but it's not.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ChasHam View Post
    If I remove the SIM from my currently active unlocked TF iPhone SE2 and insert it my immediately previous phone, an unlocked currently inactive TF iPhone 6s— could I make calls on the 6s? Or do I need to contact TF customer service to do the switch?

In either scenario, what are the chances of screwing up my PAYGO account balances?
    If the inactive phone is on the same account as your active phone, you should be able to login, select Activate 6s, then you will select "I want to keep my number" then a drop down box appears and you select the phone number for iPhone SE2 and it will activate that number and service on the 6S and you can make calls. The same procedure should switch the service back to the SE2.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jet1000 View Post
    If the inactive phone is on the same account as your active phone, you should be able to login, select Activate 6s, then you will select "I want to keep my number" then a drop down box appears and you select the phone number for iPhone SE2 and it will activate that number and service on the 6S and you can make calls. The same procedure should switch the service back to the SE2.
    I think this is the best way to go about it.

I've done these device-transfers in my account and everything has been fine with my Paygo balances.

In the past, this has worked for me even when the inactive phone wasn't already in my account (I don't know if that has changed now). I just clicked Activate after logging into my account, and then did the same steps as jet1000 has described above.

Device(s)
    iPhone SE 2020
    Carrier(s)
    <Tracfone < Boom < Selectel < Consumer Cellular,AT&T, H2O, Alltel
    Feedback Score
    I’ve swapped a Verizon TF SIM card b/w an iPhone SE 2 ( TF branded & locked ) and an unlocked IPhone X at least 2X back & forth in the

past 9-12 months, without consequence.

Prior to the above, the TF branded SE 2 was a phone that was used on TF Verizon ( my phone # ), then TF AT&T (different phone # =my Dad ), then switched back to TF Verizon ( also still my Dad’s # ), then same phone & SIM card switched back to my phone # on TF Verizon.
    Those were official switches with IMEI & sim matching done before Verizon purchased TF.

No problems. The IMEI’s were kept in order prior to Verizon takeover of TF. Afterward I did the sim swaps with no issues.

Not really sure why it all worked fine, but perhaps, like Page Plus, TF changed its policy regarding sim swaps ?? Maybe it’s the iPhone factor ??

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by trek83 View Post
    I’ve swapped a Verizon TF SIM card b/w an iPhone SE 2 ( TF branded & locked ) and an unlocked IPhone X at least 2X back & forth in the

past 9-12 months, without consequence.

Prior to the above, the TF branded SE 2 was a phone that was used on TF Verizon ( my phone # ), then TF AT&T (different phone # =my Dad ), then switched back to TF Verizon ( also still my Dad’s # ), then same phone & SIM card switched back to my phone # on TF Verizon.
    Those were official switches with IMEI & sim matching done before Verizon purchased TF.

No problems. The IMEI’s were kept in order prior to Verizon takeover of TF. Afterward I did the sim swaps with no issues.

Not really sure why it all worked fine, but perhaps, like Page Plus, TF changed its policy regarding sim swaps ?? Maybe it’s the iPhone factor ??
    Out of curiosity do a quick chat with TF and confirm the imei/sim pairing matches the phones after the swap.
    Of course your SE (TF branded & locked) may lose it's unlock clock after changing the original sim.

Page plus always used Verizon's MO allowing swaps. I've always been curious if the other TF brands (TW, ST, etc.) also allowed and it was only the TF company TF 'brand' that set their own rule.

Device(s)
    iPhone SE 2020
    Carrier(s)
    <Tracfone < Boom < Selectel < Consumer Cellular,AT&T, H2O, Alltel
    Feedback Score
    The SE was not unlocked due to my switching to different phones & carriers.

My account shows the SIM # , not the IMEI. Says device unknown.

I’ve not taken the time to contact TF about the IMEI / sim pairing but will try to do so soon.

Device(s)
    Samsung S22, Samsung A51, Pixel 4a
    Carrier(s)
    TF/Verizon, Walmart Freedompop, FreeUP AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by trek83 View Post
    The SE was not unlocked due to my switching to different phones & carriers.

My account shows the SIM # , not the IMEI. Says device unknown.
    That indicates the phone is treated as a BYOP phone. That happened after I put the SIM of a TF iPhone into an Android phone (long story).