Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Need help. Hope this ends my home internet frustration

Feedback Score

Need help. Hope this ends my home internet frustration

At least some of you have followed my frustration as I look at T-Mobile as an upgrade from AT&T DSL. The other choice here is Spectrum and their big jump in cost after initial period.

I have decided to try T-Mobile Home Internet Lite. The Gateway I was sent is the Arcadyan KVD21. It will have to go on something beside a window as the window sills are different in this Lustron house and not wide enough to set this gateway on. My smartphone is through an AT&T MVNO (PureTalk) and I get 5 bars of 5G at my desk and then it does drop off at the other end of this 35' by 31' house by 2-3 bars but is stable anywhere in this all steel house.

What I am really worried about is messing something up that will keep me from reconnecting to my AT&T DSL!!!! They are no longer selling it and if I drop it I cannot repurchase it. Thinking I can still have it but not be using it while trying T-Mobile.

HELP PLEASE! I don't want to lose the ability to go back to using my AT&T DSL if there is a problem using the T-Mobile.

Feedback Score
    If you don't pay AT&T DSL it'll stop working. Otherwise idk what you're saying.
    I will be Judged on how I helped the poor, sick & others in need; strangers & loved ones alike.

My plans:
    Visible (Verizon) UTT & Unlimited Data $25/mo
    T-Mobile Gold Rewards $10yr exp 12.25.23

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by zapjb View Post
    If you don't pay AT&T DSL it'll stop working. Otherwise idk what you're saying.
    My thought is to keep paying for the AT&T DSL but not have the computer connected to it. If I disconnect the DSL gateway from AC power and the phone line while trying the T-Mobile Lite Home Internet can I simply reconnect the AC and phone line and go back to using it? Hopefully I won't need to; but there are very mixed reports of how well T-Mobile Lite Home Internet works.

Feedback Score
    Does TM Lite use your DSL phone line?

Device(s)
    One Plus 8 (T-Mobile), Samsung S10e (AT&T)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane B. View Post
    My thought is to keep paying for the AT&T DSL but not have the computer connected to it. If I disconnect the DSL gateway from AC power and the phone line while trying the T-Mobile Lite Home Internet can I simply reconnect the AC and phone line and go back to using it? Hopefully I won't need to; but there are very mixed reports of how well T-Mobile Lite Home Internet works.
    No reason to not have both running until you verify that it will work. I have Spectrum and TMobile. dsl is like a switch... it works or it doesn't, and it's not fast.
    Tmobile Home internet is all over the place depending on your location and service... and the device.
    Not much harm in trying it out ... just don't cancel your existing fornat least a good month and change

Sent from my SM-G991U using HoFo mobile app
    AT&T... your world, throttled.

Feedback Score

Need help. Hope this ends my home internet frustration

I would jump on Spectrum, whats the promo price 49.99, ride that out till T-Mobile or Verizon home 5g is up and running well.

Check this out, look at T-Mobile

https://fixverizon.com/2023/01/12/qc...d-their-mvnos/

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kaZZoo View Post
    I would jump on Spectrum, whats the promo price 49.99, ride that out till T-Mobile or Verizon home 5g is up and running well.

Check this out, look at T-Mobile

https://fixverizon.com/2023/01/12/qc...d-their-mvnos/
    Currently I have both... Spectrum performance is more ... reliable and consistent where I am.
    Sadly, their base price is $80/month for 300/10 service, and I've got T-Mobile home internet for $25/month as 'backup' and possibly conversion. Can connect to other towers.
    Downside on T-Mobile - hardware sucks, NAT gateway is also NATed, performance isn't consistent, and T-Mobile support depends on the season (i.e. you won't get a call through from Thanksgiving through New Years).
    Upside - Its cheap(er), and speeds 'can' outperform

Spectrum - it works relatively well, with few outages (in my area). Performance is VERY consistent - +200Mbps is the norm, not the exception. You can bring your own router. It isn't RFC 1918 NATd
    Downside - it isn't cheap, once in a while there are large scale outages. Battery outage at a node = no service.

Carrier(s)
    VZW - Work phone / T-Mobile (Personal Phone / iPad) / Tracfone VZW MVNO (for fun)!
    Feedback Score
    Just leave the DSL account open and unplug it for a bit. You might also be able to do a seasonal suspension on it for a few months, like you were temporarily “snow birding” somewhere else which would elongate or reduce the cost for a few months. The only downside if they offer suspension is if you also have a landline, since DSL is phone line based (and I don’t know if they’d suspend one without the other).

Otherwise, just give T-Mobile a whirl. You have little to lose and potentially much to gain. As long as you get coverage, your wireless internet speeds should outperform DSL hands-down. People get hung up on speeds, but if you can always get 15 Mbps solidly, you’re golden for just about anything. Double that if you have 2+ people who simultaneously video stream — I doubt you do if you current have DSL.

Sadly, cable has had a monopoly in most areas and it’s constrained broadband speeds in lots of places. While I live in a suburb of NYC, up until 10 or so years ago Cable was the only game in town. I got a modem when they first came out and they increased the price from $30 to $50 over a few years for like 10Mbps service. I called several times to protest and they told me they’d see what they could do. What they were really doing was seeing what my other options were — since there were none, they told me “sorry, we can’t give you a better price”. Then along came FiOS, and wouldn’t you know I get a $30 offer almost every week from that same cable company.

Feedback Score
    formercanuck
    Can you please tell me more about having both on? In my case it would be used on a Windows computer. Not that I like my AT&T DSL but I don't want to take any chances until I know T-Mobile will work well for me.

It appears to me that you have a setup where you can switch between them. In trying to research I have not found anything about how to do this! That is from the point of putting T-Mobile on and they being able to switch between the two.
    Thanks

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    if you are using WiFi, you will see a TMobile wifi connection when you search for WiFi devices. Connect to it... and you're done. Select your old WiFi and you're connected to your old internet.

Sent from my SM-G991U using HoFo mobile app

Feedback Score
    DSL, TMobile lite or Spectrum
    Its a no brainer, Spectrum.

If you get 300mbps for 49.99 for 1 or 2 years why bother with the other two.

Of course, this is only my opinion.

Feedback Score
    Are both unlimited? I think TM Lite has a data cap. Unlike TM regular home internet.

Device(s)
    Samsung Z Flip 4
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I'll second the motion that you continue to pay for your old internet for at least another month. Until you have throughly tested the T-Mobile internet in your house. Thats what I did and it weas a good thing too! T-Mobile didn't work out for me and all I had to do was send the T-Mobile modem back and reconnect to my old provider. Don't burn your bridges too soon.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rjack22 View Post
    I'll second the motion that you continue to pay for your old internet for at least another month. Until you have throughly tested the T-Mobile internet in your house. Thats what I did and it weas a good thing too! T-Mobile didn't work out for me and all I had to do was send the T-Mobile modem back and reconnect to my old provider. Don't burn your bridges too soon.
    Agreed. I would even go so far as to say the same when people are choosing cell providers in general.
    Original 4G LTE 'service' (device + service) worked probably better when I am than the current 5G Internet. I don't believe that they had deprioritized that service at the time.
    5G initial was 'ok' - but performance was unstable (i.e. device dropping WiFi often). Tried again with the now $25/month version - and it is better (performance / throughput is the same, device isn't dropping WiFi).
    Hopefully it'll get better once 5G is deployed nearby.

Device(s)
    iPhone 13 Pro, Razr 5G 2020
    Carrier(s)
    ·T···Mobile· USA, AT$T
    Feedback Score
    If this is old AT&T ADSL1 with 6/768 or less with 150GB included/then overages.. dump that.

Spectrum for $49.99/yr is your best bet... once the year is up, just play the game of disconnect it for a day then re-connect it as a new customer.. as there's almost certainly no way you're not paying ~$50/mo for that old ADSL connection anyway.

Now... you could also get a "load balancing" router that you can connect both AT&T DSL and T-Mobile ISP too and it'll combine them for your network to utilize simultaniously during multi-stream downloads.

https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-Integ...dDbGljaz10cnVl

BUT - if I were you, and if it were T-Mobile HI Lite vs Spectrum... that'd be a no-brainer. Go with Spectrum until AT&T either gives you Fiber, or you can do T-Mobile HI's fully unlimited service.
    T-Mobile: Magenta Amplified

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast