Thread: ATT will be pairing financed devices to accounts prevent use on any other account

Feedback Score

ATT will be pairing financed devices to accounts prevent use on any other account

https://www.rvmobileinternet.com/att...d-to-accounts/

this could have a significant impact on second hand phones but may also be just the beginning and we may see similar moves by T-Mobile and Verizon. I am most interested to see if this finds its way over to prepaid brands with device not yet qualified for unlock to also be prevented usage on lines other than the ones purchased for as a way to prevent 'gaming of the system' where lines are actively purely to get free/discounted device promos for resale or use on a different existing line.

Feedback Score
    Uh oh, robbyrobby, I hope your post doesn't give any of the prepaid carriers any ideas!!!

Carrier(s)
    VZW - Work phone / T-Mobile (Personal Phone / iPad) / Tracfone VZW MVNO (for fun)!
    Feedback Score
    While I dislike AT&T’s control freak nature, this isn’t such a bad thing if it prevents people from buying devices that they aren’t aware are being financed. Unfortunately, there are infrequent times where some buys a device and later finds out that the device has been blacklisted due to non-payment…

Device(s)
    Tin cans and a string
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Avoid all carrier branded devices. Buy universal unlocked only.

Someone I know on TMO post paid bought a s22 on a payment plan. They also offered the payment plan for other carriers (att/vzw). Wonder if this rule applies given the seller was a third party (samdung).

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GPz1100 View Post
    Avoid all carrier branded devices. Buy universal unlocked only.
    ^ That!
    I (and my family) don't buy any branded phones for probably 7 years now. Only unlocked, and if possible directly from the phone manufacturer - Motorola, Apple, Samsung, Google. No problems, no surprises. They offer payment plans if you must... I think any payment plan is a bad financial decision, but everyone does what they want.

If I want a "deal", I trade in my previous device. Samsung is really good at that.