Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Very laggy HSN Moto G Stylus phone purchased in April of last year. Any helpful tips to speed it up?

Feedback Score

Very laggy HSN Moto G Stylus phone purchased in April of last year. Any helpful tips to speed it up?

I was using this phone solely on wifi ever since I purchased from HSN in April. It was starting to get laggy a few months ago. Now phone is on a year plan since a few weeks ago. I don't know if that matters but the phone is very slow and aggravating even on wifi. I'm still using only on wifi.

Yesterday I went to my apps and cleared a lot of cache. That didn't seem to make a difference.

Phone has 128 GB of storage total and right now it is showing I've used 65GB of the 128.

I hadn't even had the phone a year yet. Any tips to get it to speed up and stop lagging so badly? When I first got the phone it performed well.

Thanks in advance.

Device(s)
    Galaxy J7 Sky Pro SM-S727VL, Galaxy J3 Sky SM-S230VL, ZTE Z723EL, ZTE Z233VL
    Carrier(s)
    Straight Talk, Total Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Which model is the Moto G Stylus do you have?

The storage space is different from the RAM. So other apps might be still running in the background even if you are not using the app. So you need to closed the app.

Device(s)
    Samsung S22, Samsung A51, Pixel 4a
    Carrier(s)
    TF/Verizon, Walmart Freedompop, FreeUP AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Try booting up in Safe Mode and see if it runs better. If it does, some app is slowing it down.

Feedback Score
    I don't know if this is helpful or not, but you could go into Settings > Battery > Usage Details and see what is/has been running.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by advcomp2019 View Post
    Which model is the Moto G Stylus do you have?

The storage space is different from the RAM. So other apps might be still running in the background even if you are not using the app. So you need to closed the app.
    Thanks. Model is XT2115DL
    Battery usage data isn't available.
    It states apps are running normally.
    How do I know what apps are running in the background.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Lisme View Post
    I don't know if this is helpful or not, but you could go into Settings > Battery > Usage Details and see what is/has been running.
    Thanks, it doesn't tell me that info. When I click on 'Usage Details;, it states 'Battery Usage details are not available'.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by diddlydudette View Post
    I was using this phone solely on wifi ever since I purchased from HSN in April. It was starting to get laggy a few months ago. Now phone is on a year plan since a few weeks ago. I don't know if that matters but the phone is very slow and aggravating even on wifi. I'm still using only on wifi.

Yesterday I went to my apps and cleared a lot of cache. That didn't seem to make a difference.

Phone has 128 GB of storage total and right now it is showing I've used 65GB of the 128.

I hadn't even had the phone a year yet. Any tips to get it to speed up and stop lagging so badly? When I first got the phone it performed well.

Thanks in advance.
    As someone mentioned, check battery usage and see if anything is using an unusual amount of battery. You may have some bad rogue crap apps.

Do a factory reset and only reinstall the apps you really need. Go in the apps list and delete or disable apps you don't need. I have done this with phones/tablets that have gotten sluggish. It worked for me.

Good luck

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Thanks. Model is XT2115DL
    Battery usage data isn't available.
    It states apps are running normally.
    How do I know what apps are running in the background.
    That is the Moto G Stylus 2021 then. This only has 4GB of RAM.

As for the apps running in the background, you can check the battery usage or navigation bar.

The navigation bar could be setup two different ways. I like the having the three button bar over the swipe bar myself.

Android should free up the RAM, but sometimes the app might be still running and doing things. So Android does not want to clean up the RAM space from that app.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    Try booting up in Safe Mode and see if it runs better. If it does, some app is slowing it down.
    Thanks. I tried that and it seems to work better. What makes some of the apps darken and un-usable in Safe Mode? Would those be the problem apps? Google Search bar (widget) on home page darkens also if that means anything. Clock widget is dark along with about with about 8 other apps.

I'll put in safe mode tomorrow and test it more. How would I know which app is causing issues. Just delete one by one and until phone works better?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    As someone mentioned, check battery usage and see if anything is using an unusual amount of battery. You may have some bad rogue crap apps.

Do a factory reset and only reinstall the apps you really need. Go in the apps list and delete or disable apps you don't need. I have done this with phones/tablets that have gotten sluggish. It worked for me.

Good luck
    Thanks. I'll try disabling first before deleting.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Thanks. I tried that and it seems to work better. What makes some of the apps darken and un-usable in Safe Mode? Would those be the problem apps?
    In Safe Mode, only the apps that came with the phone are usable. The idea is to rule out the factory provided apps. Then you add back one user-installed app at a time and see which one causes the problem. It's a long process if you have many apps.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    You can also try uninstalling apps that were installed recently and see at which point the phone works better, then the last one uninstalled before that is the culprit.

Device(s)
    LG Aristo 2 Plus (T-Mo); Moto G Power 2020 (PPC)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile Prepaid & Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    The Google app (the one that provides the big stupid "search bar" on the Home Screen) can be a real hog if you're allowing it to provide all of its various notifications. Also, clear the browser history, set for All Time, and check to see that there are minimal to no websites allowed to provide notifications. These can really gum up resources if not managed.
    Last edited by whacker; 01-19-2023 at 08:27 AM.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by whacker View Post
    The Google app (the one that provides the bug stupid "search bar" on the Home Screen) can be a real hog if you're allowing it to provide all of its various notifications. Also, clear the browser history, set for All Time, and check to see that there are minimal to no websites allowed to provide notifications. These can really gum up resources if not managed.
    With a number of phones, I have tried to disable "OK Google" from working, and I have never been able to disable this feature. So to stop this feature, I have to disable the mic permission to Google app to stop "OK Google" from working.

Device(s)
    iPhone SE 2022, Samsung A53 5G, Pixel 6a, iPhone 11, Samsung A51
    Carrier(s)
    TF/Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by advcomp2019 View Post
    With a number of phones, I have tried to disable "OK Google" from working, and I have never been able to disable this feature. So to stop this feature, I have to disable the mic permission to Google app to stop "OK Google" from working.

Can't you just toggle it off here:

Name:  Screenshot_20230118-220702_Google.jpg
Views: 92
Size:  19.0 KB

Mine never goes on.

Can also turn off Google assistant:

Name:  ok.jpg
Views: 85
Size:  13.2 KB
    Last edited by tomseys; 01-18-2023 at 10:37 PM.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast