Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Can T-Mobile unlock iPhone over Wi-Fi?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    837
    Device(s)
    Nokia 3595
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0

    Can T-Mobile unlock iPhone over Wi-Fi?

    I forgot that my iPhone is on installment plan and it is locked. Now I am oversea and don't get a signal (my plan has no international data). Wi-Fi is up and I can make call and receive Text over Wi-Fi. I called customer care and they made an unlock request and says it takes 24-48 hours. But will it work?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    15,762
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by below20 View Post
    I forgot that my iPhone is on installment plan and it is locked. Now I am oversea and don't get a signal (my plan has no international data). Wi-Fi is up and I can make call and receive Text over Wi-Fi. I called customer care and they made an unlock request and says it takes 24-48 hours. But will it work?
    I believe that the setting can be transferred to the phone via Wifi. The place to look is under Settings\General\About\Carrier Lock. You want it to say "No SIM restrictions"

    If you don't see the change within the 48 hours check with customer care to see the status and if there are any further steps to take.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    837
    Device(s)
    Nokia 3595
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by jet1000 View Post
    I believe that the setting can be transferred to the phone via Wifi. The place to look is under Settings\General\About\Carrier Lock. You want it to say "No SIM restrictions"

    If you don't see the change within the 48 hours check with customer care to see the status and if there are any further steps to take.
    The About Phone menu is really just to confirm if device is locked. It doesn't give any indication of how the unlock process should go or need. Like does it need Cellular connection to unlock?

    Nothing happened after 48 hours. I called them again. Promised me it will happen on the same day. Once again, nothing happened. I think the CS are clueless. They only submit requests. They don't really know what it takes nor the process. At least that's my impression.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    837
    Device(s)
    Nokia 3595
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Finally got it unlocked. The rep put me on hold and escalated my case. She call me back later and I checked on my About phone page and it has indeed unlocked. Prior to that, I enabled international roaming on my plan to a point which the phone shows I can roaming to a partner. I have cellular data disabled the whole time.

    I cannot conclude whether it is possible to unlock iPhone when oversea over Wi-Fi.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    1,262
    Carrier(s)
    VZW - Work phone / T-Mobile (Personal Phone / iPad) / Tracfone VZW MVNO (for fun)!
    Feedback Score
    0
    Yes, it will unlock via Wi-Fi or any other data connection. The actual unlocking occurs between the device and Apple’s servers, and all the cell providers do is put the request to Apple, who actually processes it (though that part is fully automated).

    T-Mobile has become a bit tougher on unlocking for devices still on EIP after one of their employees unlocked many devices against policy. So each unlock is escalated to someone else before actually happening and even though the reps we talk to say they are processing the request, it often gets denied at a higher level.

    Sadly, they don’t circle back with the customers to let us know it was denied, so we start all over again, which is frustrating.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    837
    Device(s)
    Nokia 3595
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by high technology View Post
    Yes, it will unlock via Wi-Fi or any other data connection. The actual unlocking occurs between the device and Apple’s servers, and all the cell providers do is put the request to Apple, who actually processes it (though that part is fully automated).

    T-Mobile has become a bit tougher on unlocking for devices still on EIP after one of their employees unlocked many devices against policy. So each unlock is escalated to someone else before actually happening and even though the reps we talk to say they are processing the request, it often gets denied at a higher level.

    Sadly, they don’t circle back with the customers to let us know it was denied, so we start all over again, which is frustrating.
    Yeah, I think that's what happened to me. But I was told that it was a glitch on T-Mobile side. I have been a long time customer with TMO and rarely request unlocking. So I suppose my request should get approved. I spoke to many reps and none ever told me that I am not eligible for unlock.

Similar Threads

  1. How to unlock ZTE Z915 T-mobile 4G LTE HotSpot Wi-Fi router
    By cellcorner in forum Cellcorner.com - Professional mobile phone unlocking equipment, remote unlock, phone accessories
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-27-2015, 05:36 AM
  2. T-Mobile HD Voice and Wi-Fi Calling for iPhone 5S/5C?
    By Phantomstar02 in forum T-Mobile
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 09-15-2013, 12:51 PM
  3. Can we use BBM over wi-fi without data plan?
    By imzmania in forum BlackBerry
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 07-30-2013, 11:07 AM
  4. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 04-06-2008, 06:19 PM
  5. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-29-2008, 07:19 PM

Bookmarks