Thread: Here we go again, new data breach

Device(s)
    Samsung Note 8
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

Here we go again, new data breach

https://www.cnn.com/2023/01/19/tech/tmobile-hack/index.html

I'm not sure what to think about this. I wish tmobile would allow long time customers to delete our SSN from their system. That would make me feel safer sticking around with them. I hope no one gets financially harmed by Tmobile's negligence. They really need to update their systems.

Feedback Score
    I'm quoting myself.

"Yes I'm trying to influence people. So again I'll say it I blame TM & all the other multibillion dollar corps more than the hackers. Spend more money on security doofus."
    I will be Judged on how I helped the poor, sick & others in need; strangers & loved ones alike.

My plans:
    Visible (Verizon) UTT & Unlimited Data $25/mo
    T-Mobile Gold Rewards $10yr exp 12.25.23

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S21 5G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dieselguy26 View Post
    I wish tmobile would allow long time customers to delete our SSN from their system.
    From my experience as a former customer service rep for At&t, we could only see the last 4 digits of the SSN. From time to time, the carriers want to run checks to see if their customers may qualify for special offers/incentives. The last 4 digits are used primarily to verify the account to minimize the possibility of fraudulent access to user accounts.

As much as you may think it would be nice to eliminate that from their systems to prevent potential loss of information to hackers, it is not very likely. Remember that as much as the carriers try to make their systems "foolproof", the hackers invent newer and better fools constantly.

Essentially, to achieve your goal to eliminate the SSN from the account would require government influence/legislation. Good luck with that. Tell us how that works for you.
    Just another day in paradise.....

Device(s)
    iPhone
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    As much as we hate it.. I bet no-one really had their identity stolen. But 100% of us got spam email… no more than that.

Device(s)
    iPhone 13 Pro Max 256Gb
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cr0w View Post
    As much as we hate it.. I bet no-one really had their identity stolen. But 100% of us got spam email… no more than that.
    If that is what T-Mobile told you then I have a bridge to sell you.
    HowardForums Veteran Circa 2004

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Serial Port View Post
    From my experience as a former customer service rep for At&t, we could only see the last 4 digits of the SSN. From time to time, the carriers want to run checks to see if their customers may qualify for special offers/incentives. The last 4 digits are used primarily to verify the account to minimize the possibility of fraudulent access to user accounts.

As much as you may think it would be nice to eliminate that from their systems to prevent potential loss of information to hackers, it is not very likely. Remember that as much as the carriers try to make their systems "foolproof", the hackers invent newer and better fools constantly.

Essentially, to achieve your goal to eliminate the SSN from the account would require government influence/legislation. Good luck with that. Tell us how that works for you.
    Not such a far-fetched idea. I am a senior citizen and my SS card has the printed notation "FOR SOCIAL SECURITY PURPOSES • NOT FOR IDENTIFICATION"

Device(s)
    One Plus 8 (T-Mobile), Samsung S10e (AT&T)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane B. View Post
    Not such a far-fetched idea. I am a senior citizen and my SS card has the printed notation "FOR SOCIAL SECURITY PURPOSES • NOT FOR IDENTIFICATION"
    Lol - how many businesses use this as a part of their ID. Mine is even a little different. Eventually I'll have to get them to create a new one. "VALID FOR WORK ONLY WITH INS AUTHORIZATION"
    AT&T... your world, throttled.