Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Old Various Verizon Contract Phones --- Locked?

Feedback Score

Old Various Verizon Contract Phones --- Locked?

I found that over the years I have accumulated quite a few Verizon (CDMA?) phones under contracts. These range from flip phones like a pink Motorola V3c to early Windows Samsung phones to Microsoft Kin2 phones.

Should I expect that all of these phones are "locked" to Verizon's network (also maybe CDMA phones no longer work on their network?)? Is there a way for them to be unlocked?

Thanks for any advice. I would prefer to put these on Craigslist than fill a landfill with them, but do not know if they are even worth anything.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gkamieneski View Post
    I found that over the years I have accumulated quite a few Verizon (CDMA?) phones under contracts. These range from flip phones like a pink Motorola V3c to early Windows Samsung phones to Microsoft Kin2 phones.

Should I expect that all of these phones are "locked" to Verizon's network (also maybe CDMA phones no longer work on their network?)? Is there a way for them to be unlocked?

Thanks for any advice. I would prefer to put these on Craigslist than fill a landfill with them, but do not know if they are even worth anything.
    if there old CDMA phones, then your best bet would be to take them to a recycling place since
    they can no longer be activated.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S21 5G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    In the US, 2G and 3G phones can no longer be activated. No point in getting them unlocked by the carrier, and not likely they would. There are companies that offer unlocking services for a fee.

Sent from my SM-G991U using HoFo mobile app
    Just another day in paradise.....

Feedback Score
    I have been wondering about this as I see people selling Motorola Razr V3c Verizon phones on EBay and they are likely unusable.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S21 5G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I have been wondering about this as I see people selling Motorola Razr V3c Verizon phones on EBay and they are likely unusable.
    It could be that potential buyers live outside the US where some carriers use the old technology phones. It could also be that they are relying on gullible buyers in the US who don't know better. I suppose you could buy an original iPhone online, not that I would recommend it, unless you are just a collector of old phones.

Feedback Score
    Which is it, the fact that they are CDMA or that they are not at least 4G that makes them unusable. thx

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S21 5G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Which is it, the fact that they are CDMA or that they are not at least 4G that makes them unusable. thx
    It is both reasons. Remember that LTE/VOLTE are 4G technologies and that 5G technology works hand in hand with 4G.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Serial Port View Post
    It could be that potential buyers live outside the US where some carriers use the old technology phones..
    CDMA was not that popular outside the US

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S21 5G
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hagar View Post
    CDMA was not that popular outside the US
    No argument there, just pointing out that there may be a reason for buying a CDMA phone for some in some countries.

Feedback Score

These are Ewaste. CDMA is almost not used anywhere now. They are not worth unlocking, if it could even be done. The batteries are also probably near EOL and not worth replacing.

Anything that old is probably not even worth using as a micro tablet on Wifi without cell service.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_CDMA2000_networks

Device(s)
    iPhone 13 Pro, Razr 5G 2020
    Carrier(s)
    ·T···Mobile· USA, AT$T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdevnul View Post
    These are Ewaste. CDMA is almost not used anywhere now. They are not worth unlocking, if it could even be done. The batteries are also probably near EOL and not worth replacing.

Anything that old is probably not even worth using as a micro tablet on Wifi without cell service.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_CDMA2000_networks
    Well in all fariness. US Cellular is still running CDMA. I was able to roam on it last week haha

But yes, outside of USC, I do not think anyone is still running it.. eWaste them!
    T-Mobile: Magenta Amplified

Feedback Score
    I also have 2 old iPhone 5c phones from Verizon, model A1532. These appear to be both CDMA and GSM but I don't think they are 4G so are unusable? Don't know how to tell if they are locked or not.

Device(s)
    iPhone 13 Pro, Razr 5G 2020
    Carrier(s)
    ·T···Mobile· USA, AT$T
    Feedback Score
    I also have 2 old iPhone 5c phones from Verizon, model A1532. These appear to be both CDMA and GSM but I don't think they are 4G so are unusable? Don't know how to tell if they are locked or not.
    They would not be locked.. but you are correct. They are LTE/GSM/WCDMA/CDMA devices.

They will currently work on T-Mobile's remaining sliver of a 2G/GSM network.. but it's only running in LTE guardbands in 200kHz chunks so it's very minimal at this point to support old M2M devices. It would get data from LTE, and make calls where 2G GSM is available.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by brad15 View Post
    They would not be locked.. but you are correct. They are LTE/GSM/WCDMA/CDMA devices.

They will currently work on T-Mobile's remaining sliver of a 2G/GSM network.. but it's only running in LTE guardbands in 200kHz chunks so it's very minimal at this point to support old M2M devices. It would get data from LTE, and make calls where 2G GSM is available.
    How can you tell the iPhone 5c is unlocked? I may list for sale on Craigslist and I don't wish to mislead anyone. thx

Feedback Score
    How can you tell the iPhone 5c is unlocked? I may list for sale on Craigslist and I don't wish to mislead anyone. thx
    go to Settings > General > About. If "No SIM restrictions" appears next to Carrier Lock, your iPhone is unlocked

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast