Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 25

Thread: RedPocket Verizon Wifi Calling available?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    195
    Feedback Score
    0

    RedPocket Verizon Wifi Calling available?

    On Essential Ph-1 (Android 10 stock)

    In the Test Menu (4636) the toggle switch is ghosted in the off position.

    Phone is certainly capable.

    My CDMA SIM card is at least 3 years old (more?)

    Could this be an issue?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    6,734
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by alster View Post
    On Essential Ph-1 (Android 10 stock)

    In the Test Menu (4636) the toggle switch is ghosted in the off position.

    Phone is certainly capable.

    My CDMA SIM card is at least 3 years old (more?)

    Could this be an issue?
    see here - https://help.redpocket.com/what-is-w...pocket-service
    WiFi calling is available on GSMA and GSMT. WiFi calling is not available on the CDMA network

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    195
    Feedback Score
    0
    Thanks for the heads up

    *There's this guy on reddit who says 3 of 6 lines he manages, do have working WiFi Calling on CDMA *since* the 5G upgrade, and 3 do not.

    Ppl in other threads are mostly successes on iPhones..

    Obviously, this is just a provisioning issue with RP and they either:
    • Are not supposed to enable it for Verizon lines
    • Simply do not know HOW to enable it for Verizon lines (or are unaware it's possible) and default to the above for that reason


    Maybe eventually they will officially roll it out. It'd be nice.
    Last edited by alster; 01-22-2023 at 05:01 PM.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    289
    Feedback Score
    0
    Go on chat and ask if its available.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    1,786
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by october262 View Post
    WiFi calling is not available on the CDMA network
    LOL, that's because there is no more CDMA... Their naming convention is ridiculous.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    2,576
    Carrier(s)
    Tello & Hello
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by SoNic67 View Post
    LOL, that's because there is no more CDMA... Their naming convention is ridiculous.
    It's just an easy way to differentiate it from the two other GSM networks, since they can't (or won't) mention the actual network names. They should probably use "GMSV" instead.

    That said, it seems like Verizon is much more restrictive on what phones they allow WiFi calling. At least more restrictive than T-Mobile. I don't know that much about AT&T.
    Pixel 3a on Tello — Alcatel Go Flip 3 on Tello — AGM M7 on Hello Mobile — iPhone SE on FreedomPop — TCL Flip 2 on Tracfone

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    2,576
    Carrier(s)
    Tello & Hello
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by october262 View Post
    see here - https://help.redpocket.com/what-is-w...pocket-service
    WiFi calling is available on GSMA and GSMT. WiFi calling is not available on the CDMA network
    It was available on the Verizon ("CDMA") network on Twigby. At least it was for my Pixel 2.

    EDIT: Just remembered, my son's Motorola G7 Play did not have WiFi calling on Twigby. When I moved the phone to Tello, this service came right up. He noticed the new WiFi calling option on his menu right away.

    So, for some reason, Verizon seems to limit what phones can use WiFi calling, even when the phone is WiFi calling capable.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    2,782
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
    It's just an easy way to differentiate it from the two other GSM networks, since they can't (or won't) mention the actual network names. They should probably use "GMSV" instead.
    Did you mean to say "GSMV"? Newer phones now generally only refer to GSM regardless of carrier. We need to wean off CDMA to differentiate Verizon, and eventually GSM. Boils down to carrier compatibility, basically bands and whitelists.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    U.S. Inland Northwest
    Posts
    205
    Device(s)
    Nexus 4
    Carrier(s)
    StraightTalk
    Feedback Score
    0
    Setting aside the misnomer of "CDMA" at this point, I would recommend that, if iPhones seem to have the highest success rate with getting WFC on RP "CDMA-V" service, OP should find or borrow an iPhone, stick their SIM into it, try to activate WiFi Calling (it should prompt to enter in an E911 address), test it to make sure it's working, then move the SIM back to the original phone & see if it is available after that.

    Even if not, at the very least this would demonstrate that WFC is available on the account in question, and the only obstacle at this point is the phone model itself.

    Quote Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
    So, for some reason, Verizon seems to limit what phones can use WiFi calling, even when the phone is WiFi calling capable.
    There are very few phone models made within the last, say, 8 years, that are capable of VoLTE but not capable of WiFi Calling. They do exist but are a very short list indeed. Most chipsets that came out with VoLTE support also can do WFC. It was fairly straightforward to implement, since WFC uses identical infrastructure on the carrier side as VoLTE, so if you are a carrier who implements VoLTE, you practically get WiFi Calling for free. Similar on the handset side.

    That said, yes, some carriers are super picky about handsets, either for activating VoLTE, or WFC, or both. For completely stupid reasons that I won't get into right now. Anecdotally, VZ seems to be one of those companies who (at least historically) would activate VoLTE on many handsets, but the list of ones they allow to make WiFi calls is much smaller than ones that VoLTE will work on...usually limited to handsets purchased directly from VZ, with most unbranded & unlocked ones not being allowed the privilege. (Which, again, is just completely arbitrary on their part.)

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    195
    Feedback Score
    0
    I have two other (old grandfathered) PP (VZ MVNO) PAYG lines.

    Just "re-activated" them on newer VoLTE phones.

    One is a TCL A3. WiFi Calling immediately worked

    The other is a Moto E3 (XT2005DL). WFC is NOT available.

    Swapping SIMS (accounts/#s) doesn't change anything.

    I've read here of at least one guy with the same exact model XT2005DL and *actual* TF service who was successful at getting TF to "flip the switch" and activate WFC (don't have the link handy).

    I did try to call the TF "corp" support # and when they finally found my acct, ended up transferring me to PP support who claimed the phone itself is not capable of WFC.

    I believe it is but maybe a restriction by VZ or else a "cust svc. script" oversight "left-over" from a long time ago on PP.

    Idk really.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    U.S. Inland Northwest
    Posts
    205
    Device(s)
    Nexus 4
    Carrier(s)
    StraightTalk
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by alster View Post
    One is a TCL A3. WiFi Calling immediately worked

    The other is a Moto E3 (XT2005DL). WFC is NOT available.

    Swapping SIMS (accounts/#s) doesn't change anything.
    What you've written here is unclear (at least to me).

    Are you saying that if you take the SIM from the Moto E3, and move it to the TCL A3, that same SIM is still incapable of placing a WiFi Call when it is in the TCL?

    Or by "doesn't change anything", are you saying that the problem doesn't follow the SIM, it follows the phone? That if you put your VZ SIMs in the TCL, they all have working WiFi Calling, but when you stick those same SIMs in the Moto, it never works?

    Quote Originally Posted by alster View Post
    I did try to call the TF "corp" support # and when they finally found my acct, ended up transferring me to PP support who claimed the phone itself is not capable of WFC.
    I'd make sure that whatever SIM in question you are trying to activate WiFi Calling on is in a known-supported phone model before you talk to CS, or else you're likely to hear this kind of excuse. So if you are talking about the SIM that started in the Moto, and if you still don't get WiFi Calling on that SIM when you move it to the TCL, and if the TCL A3 is known to be a supported model by Verizon for WiFi Calling, I would make sure that the SIM from the Moto E3 is in the TCL before you contact CS.

    There is also the issue, though, that TF companies tend to identify accounts not by SIM number but by phone IMEI/MEID, doubly so when it comes to so-called "CDMA" accounts. So it's unclear to me what they are looking at on their end...are they potentially still seeing the Moto IMEI when they are looking at the account, even if the SIM isn't in the Moto at the moment you're talking to them?

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    2,576
    Carrier(s)
    Tello & Hello
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by NathanA View Post
    ...
    That said, yes, some carriers are super picky about handsets, either for activating VoLTE, or WFC, or both. For completely stupid reasons that I won't get into right now. Anecdotally, VZ seems to be one of those companies who (at least historically) would activate VoLTE on many handsets, but the list of ones they allow to make WiFi calls is much smaller than ones that VoLTE will work on...usually limited to handsets purchased directly from VZ, with most unbranded & unlocked ones not being allowed the privilege. (Which, again, is just completely arbitrary on their part.)
    Now that I think about it, the Pixel 2 that did support WiFi calling on Twigby (Verizon) was an unlocked Verizon model. So that probably explains it.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    195
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by NathanA View Post
    ..
    Or by "doesn't change anything", are you saying that the problem doesn't follow the SIM, it follows the phone? That if you put your VZ SIMs in the TCL, they all have working WiFi Calling, but when you stick those same SIMs in the Moto, it never works?
    This.

    Quote Originally Posted by NathanA View Post
    I'd make sure that whatever SIM in question you are trying to activate WiFi Calling on is in a known-supported phone model before you talk to CS, or else you're likely to hear this kind of excuse.
    When I called TF corp support, and she looked up the IMEI of the phone, she said it is available for my phone, and she could get it set up, but then when she finally discovered my account was PagePlus, she said PP had to do it, and transferred me to a PP rep, who after a bit of time, said my phone is NOT capable of VoWiFi.

    What's more is, there's a bloatware app on the phone (Moto) called "Device Pulse" (I believe it to be some Tracfone bloat, not Moto's). One section is the manual. If you search in the manual for "WiFi Calling", you get a list of models of phones that can use WiFi Calling, and how to turn it on in the phone.

    The XT2005DL is among them.

    There's also:
    https://support.simplemobile.com/en/...orial/1676263/

    So I believe the phone is capable of it, but their (PP) scripts say it isn't so they won't flip the switch (perhaps because it's not on some VZ list of "approved" phones. Who knows)

    I was wrong about the guy here. He has an XT2052DL. Brain burp there.

    This guy had it on TMO with this model: https://www.howardforums.com/showthr...4#post17223294
    *edit
    I think @rpz1 summed it up here:
    https://www.howardforums.com/showthr...4#post17223314

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    193
    Device(s)
    Xperia X, iPhone 7, iPhone SE2, Galaxy A51, LG Classic Flip
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Cricket, Tracfone (VZ), Tracfone (AT&T), FreedomPop (GSMT)
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by alster View Post
    This guy had it on TMO with this model:
    Advanced features like VoLTE, WiFi Calling and hotspot are carrier restricted. Just because the phone is capable, doesn't mean the carrier will allow it.

    I have the Tracfone Moto E6 XT2005DL. It is capable of WiFi calling, but not on Verizon. It's also NOT VoLTE certified for AT&T, so I couldn't use/test on AT&T. But if you stick in a T-Mobile based SIM, the WiFi calling feature is un-hidden and allowed.

    https://www.howardforums.com/showthr...d-WiFi-calling

    Same thing with the TCL Flip 2, which is sold by Tracfone. WiFi calling NOT allowed on Verizon, but works fine with a T-Mobile SIM.

    https://www.howardforums.com/showthr...6#post17236436

    The US carriers are holding these advanced features hostage, as a way to force you to upgrade and buy their branded phones if you want these advanced features. They really seem to hate BYOD/factory unlocked phones. Even tomseys with a Pixel 6a had to jump through a bunch of hoops to get WiFi calling working:

    https://www.howardforums.com/showthr...9#post17242579

    Some of the newer android Tracfone have WiFi calling enabled. I tested my Tracfone Samsung Galaxy A51 SM-S515DL and WiFi calling is working fine on it with Tracfone Verizon. I will post review/screenshots later. I just got a refurb Moto G Power 2020 XT2041DL and just ordered a TCL A3 A509DL. I will test WiFi calling on those and report back.

    If you need WiFi calling, switch to T-Mobile network or use an iPhone. iPhones cannot be discriminated against and have WiFi calling working since iOS 13.3.1 or later and TFW Carrier Settings Version 40.1 or later on all networks.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    195
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Slepy View Post
    Advanced features like VoLTE, WiFi Calling and hotspot are carrier restricted. Just because the phone is capable, doesn't mean the carrier will allow it.

    I have the Tracfone Moto E6 XT2005DL. It is capable of WiFi calling, but not on Verizon. It's also NOT VoLTE certified for AT&T, so I couldn't use/test on AT&T. But if you stick in a T-Mobile based SIM, the WiFi calling feature is un-hidden and allowed.
    I agree with everything you said.

    My XT2005DL on PP Verizon is (obviously) allowed to use its' VoLTE or it wouldn't work. It's somewhat surprising that they would allow that feature to work, and NOT the WFC. Almost seems like an "oversight".
    Quote Originally Posted by Slepy View Post
    .. The US carriers are holding these advanced features hostage, as a way to force you to upgrade and buy their branded phones if you want these advanced features. They really seem to hate BYOD/factory unlocked phones..

    ..and just ordered a TCL A3 A509DL. I will test WiFi calling on those and report back.
    I've already have the A3 on another PP Verizon line. WFC works just fine there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slepy View Post
    .. iPhones cannot be discriminated against and have WiFi calling working since iOS 13.3.1 or later and TFW Carrier Settings Version 40.1 or later on all networks.
    I wonder why this is.

    I presume it's something Apple insists all carriers respect, like a take-it or-leave-it. Idk.

    Also fwiw, VisualVM works on both phones/lines I mentioned above, but it's quirky-

    If Mobile data is off, I get notifications about new VMs, but, I cannot download them to the phone, even if WiFi is ON, and EVEN on the A3 where WiFi Calling is working just fine. I have to turn on mobile data, at least momentarily, to refresh the VVM inbox. Then I can turn it off (leaving WiFi on) and listen to VMs.

    I wonder if hotspot works as well. I wouldn't know how to test that. I've never used a hotspot. Maybe I'll look into it (carefully. PAYG phones afterall.)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. RedPocket Verizon VoLTE, WiFi calling
    By Ramdompcgeek in forum General Prepaid discussion
    Replies: 48
    Last Post: 05-11-2019, 05:19 PM
  2. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-21-2016, 11:02 AM
  3. Is Wifi Calling available for Verizon Prepaid?
    By biopig in forum Verizon Prepaid/Visible
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-06-2016, 11:32 AM
  4. FCC Grants Verizon WiFi Calling waiver
    By fraydog in forum Verizon Wireless
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 11-20-2015, 12:19 AM
  5. WiFi calling availability?
    By crarbo1 in forum AT&T
    Replies: 176
    Last Post: 02-04-2015, 11:22 PM

Bookmarks