Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Still no January 2023 Pixel update for my BYOP Pixel 6a using Tracfone Verizon

Device(s)
    Google Pixel 6 Pro and Google Pixel 6a
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score

Still no January 2023 Pixel update for my BYOP Pixel 6a using Tracfone Verizon

My BYOP Pixel 6a using Tracfone Verizon still hasn't received the January 2023 update, even though I check frequently using System Update. I have a friend using a BYOP Pixel 6a Verizon Postpaid who received hers around January 4th.

Is Tracfone holding this update because there is some problem? Thanks!

Device(s)
    iPhone SE 2022, Samsung A53 5G, Pixel 6a, iPhone 11, Samsung A51
    Carrier(s)
    TF/Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Bitzer18 View Post
    My BYOP Pixel 6a using Tracfone Verizon still hasn't received the January 2023 update, even though I check frequently using System Update. I have a friend using a BYOP Pixel 6a Verizon Postpaid who received hers around January 4th.

Is Tracfone holding this update because there is some problem? Thanks!
    I took the TF sim out of my pixel 6a and factory reset the phone and got the January 5th security update right away. Then put the sim back.

Maybe it blocks it somehow.

I've heard some T-mobile and Fi accounts are having apparently sim provider related issues getting it so some stick a different sim in and it comes.

Device(s)
    Google Pixel 6 Pro and Google Pixel 6a
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tomseys View Post
    I took the TF sim out of my pixel 6a and factory reset the phone and got the January 5th security update right away. Then put the sim back.

I've heard some T-mobile and Fi accounts are having apparently sim provider related issues getting it so some stick a different sim in and it comes.
    Thanks tomseys! Resetting my phone after a factory reset can be difficult and time consuming but I will do it if I have to. I suppose it's anyone's guess, but do you think this issue might be resolved in the future and not require a factory reset?

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TF/Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Bitzer18 View Post
    Thanks tomseys! Resetting my phone after a factory reset can be difficult and time consuming but I will do it if I have to. I suppose it's anyone's guess, but do you think this issue might be resolved in the future and not require a factory reset?
    Yeah probably.

I normally would not have bothered but I was just curious to see if it would work.

Feedback Score

Curious if after removing the TF sim you'd need to even do a reset before trying the update. Just try it without a sim.
    Thought Pixels get their updates via wifi right from Google(Android) even without a sim or carrier.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TF/Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rpz1 View Post
    Curious if after removing the TF sim you'd need to even do a reset before trying the update. Just try it without a sim.
    Thought Pixels get their updates via wifi right from Google(Android) even without a sim or carrier.
    That was the first thing I tried but it didn't work. I had to factory reset it. I got this idea from someone else who did the same on reddit.

The person speculated that the factory reset might not even be necessary so I tried just removing the sim and restarting and checking and waiting and nothing. Factory reset brought it right away.

I've read of some who just stuck a different sim in (different than T-mobile/Fi) and the update downloaded instantly but as I had an AAL vesting I didn't want to mess about in that way - to see if a sim different than TF/Verizon might bring the download.

Also, I didn't have a different provider sim.

Maybe some provider/carrier settings mess with it.

So factory reset eliminates them as does sticking in a different sim with different provider.
    Last edited by tomseys; 01-22-2023 at 03:28 PM.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TF/Verizon
    Feedback Score
    You can find articles all over the internet about the T-mobile problem:

https://www.phonearena.com/news/upda...obile_id144825

Some say the update was pulled... or wasn't ... confusion.

Some haven't even gotten the big december update yet.

Found someone else who did what I did:

Name:  Capture.JPG
Views: 101
Size:  73.2 KB

https://piunikaweb.com/2023/01/20/so...r-2022-update/
    Last edited by tomseys; 01-22-2023 at 04:00 PM.

Feedback Score

So factory reset eliminates them as does sticking in a different sim with different provider.
    Have you seen anyone just do a network reset after removing the sim? Wouldn't that clear out anything the carrier left behind.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TF/Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rpz1 View Post
    Have you seen anyone just do a network reset after removing the sim? Wouldn't that clear out anything the carrier left behind.
    I don't know if that would work. I don't recall if I tried that. I haven't read of anyone doing that successfully.
    I thought it wouldn't delete certain mobile carrier/account info.
    But might be worth a try. Much easier than factory reset.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TF/Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Meanwhile on another note I keep getting this tiny 713kb update every 2 or 3 days when checking for the google play system update. It installs restarts and does nothing (10+ times). Phone just remains on November 1, 2022 google play system update.

Factory reset doesn't change it. Removing sim and reset network settings doesn't change it.

I noticed that my Nokia C100 was doing the same exact thing when I was setting it up and looking it over.
    The OS on it reminds me of pixel, though the phone is no pixel.

I guess google hasn't released it yet for most devices? Has anyone received it on any device? None of my Samsungs have it either.

Feedback Score
    I have an unlocked Pixel 7 Pro bought from Best Buy ... that I recently/briefly put on a Ting T-Mobile SIM that I paid next to nothing for earlier last year.

Could not get the Google Play System security update to take ... stuck on November.

Recently flew as close to the sun as I could get & was able to combine all my vested AAL's without any loses &/or drama.

After letting that marinate for a day or so, I then swapped my main line over to a new BYOP Verizon SIM in the P7P.

Still not luck on the Google Play System security update.

Even deleted the cache & data for both Google Play System as well as the regular Play Store - rebooted - let them update etc etc.

Can't say I'm surprised ... prior to swapping it over to the TF Verizon BYOP SIM, I had tried some trickery with airplane mode - removing the Ting/TMob SIM - using another non TMob SIM etc etc as suggested but no luck. A few times it teased as if it was applying an update - but it never did.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy A51, Google Pixel 4a
    Carrier(s)
    Tracfone, Red Pocket
    Feedback Score
    I bought my unlocked Pixel 6A from Amazon. I haven’t activated it yet. …The phone received its Security update on January 5, 2023. No issues.

However the Google Play system update is still showing November 1, 2022 as its latest update.

Device(s)
    Goolge Pixel 7, iPhone 14 Plus
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Prepaid, Visible+
    Feedback Score
    I bought the unlocked one from Best buy, and it downloaded both December and January right on time with a Verizon sim inside so looks like the folks who went with the carrier version had their update held.
    Home Entertainment: Xfinity 800 meg per second plan, Roku Ultra for Streaming.

Landline: N/A

Mobile Entertainment: Verizon Unlimited Plus Prepaid for main, Visible+ as my secondary plan.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TF/Verizon
    Feedback Score
    My Pixel 6a story:

I bought my unlocked Pixel 6a directly from the physical Google store located in NYC in person in November during the Black friday sale.

I traded in an iPhone SE 2020 for it and got $240 off the Pixel 6a on the spot when it was $299.

When I got it, it was on the November security update. I activated it on TF/Verizon and got the pending AAL which later vested.

I noticed right away that Wi-Fi calling was not working on it. I made some attemtps to get it working having some experience with this. Nothing worked. Reading around it seemed Wi-Fi calling was not working for most if not all Pixel phones using TF/Verizon.

So then I read that people were having problems activating Pixel 7 on TF/Verizon and one way to get around that was to join the Beta pixel android program which corrected the activation problem.

So I decided to join it with my Pixel 6a to see if it had a fix for TF/Verizon Wi-Fi calling. And it did fix it.

When that beta program ended on December 5th, I was able to install the public release December 5th update and leave the beta program. Meanwhile I read that other TF/Verizon Pixel 6a and I believe 7 users who did not join the beta program also got the big December update when it came out on December 5th 2022. But earlier model TF/Verizon Pixel phones did not get it.

Anyway so now I had working Wi-Fi calling and the big December 5th update on my unlocked from physical Google store TF/Verizon Pixel 6a. But the January 5th 2023 security update never came.

So then after trying some other things I removed the TF/Verizon sim from it thinking it could be regulating the OTA update somehow, did the factory reset and got the January 5th update right away.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    TF/Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tracmac View Post
    Still not luck on the Google Play System security update.

Even deleted the cache & data for both Google Play System as well as the regular Play Store - rebooted - let them update etc etc.
    I tried that too and even tried joining the Google play services beta program... but no matter what I do, there is so far no (December) Google Play System update. I'm guessing they haven't released it yet. Because I haven't read of many (anyone?) else getting it either.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast