Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 34

Thread: Can I get his old Tracfone flip phone unlocked? It's a LG Classic Flip purchased from Tracfone 2021

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    954
    Feedback Score
    0

    Can I get his old Tracfone flip phone unlocked? It's a LG Classic Flip purchased from Tracfone 2021

    I bought this LG Classic Flip for mom back around the first 6 months of 2021. She is with Page Plus Pay as You Go plan for 80.00 but she goes through those pretty fast. She's ending up buying a new plan at least twice a year.

    She has about 6.50 left on the plan now, and today I did a chat with Red Pocket to ask if the phone is compatible with them. I was told it would be as long as it is unlocked. They have a perfect yearly plan that would work for her. It's the 99.00 plan with 1,000 monthly talk and unlimited text and 1GB text. 1,000 talk would be good enough for her.

    I'm thinking the LG Classic Flip is locked to Tracfone since I purchased it from them. Can I get it unlocked? I've never had a phone unlocked. How involved will the process be?

    I'd just buy her an unlocked model of the same phone but they've gone up to over 100.00 since they no longer make them. lol I saw one on ebay for about 400.00.

    Thanks.

    ETA: Just did a chat with Tracfone. They said nothing but they did give me a link. They won't answer any other question except to say to look at the link. You gotta love Tracfone customer non-service.

    So is it safe to say it can't be unlocked by Tracfone since it was never on Tracfone but on PagePlus. I asked them that but all they would say is look at the link. I thought somehow Tracfone and PagePlus was related or owned the the same company? I was thinking maybe since it was on PagePlus, it could possibly still be unlocked?

    https://www.tfwunlockpolicy.com/wps/...C7LxyAP8WlbU!/

    I hesitate to get a new flip because mom is elderly and they don't like to learn new ways of doing things. I was hoping to keep the same phone. I guess she'll just stick with PagePlus.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    12,880
    Device(s)
    Samsung S22, Samsung A51, Pixel 4a
    Carrier(s)
    TF/Verizon, Walmart Freedompop, FreeUP AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    Go to https://www.tfwunlockpolicy.com , enter the phone number and/or IMEI. It will say whether or not the phone is eligible for unlocking. If it was ACTIVATED on TF/Verizon after 11/23/2021, it needs to be active for only 60 days to get unlocked. If activated before that date, it will need 12 months of service to get unlocked.

    If it's eligible, TF will ask for an email to send the unlocking codes and instructions.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    954
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    Go to https://www.tfwunlockpolicy.com , enter the phone number and/or IMEI. It will say whether or not the phone is eligible for unlocking. If it was ACTIVATED on TF/Verizon after 11/23/2021, it needs to be active for only 60 days to get unlocked. If activated before that date, it will need 12 months of service to get unlocked.

    If it's eligible, TF will ask for an email to send the unlocking codes and instructions.
    Thanks. I guess I'm out of luck. It doesn't mention anything about being on Verizon PagePlus even though it is a Tracfone branded phone so I guess that doesn't count toward unlocking.

    I get this response:


    Device Unlocking Eligibility Result

    We apologize. Your device is not eligible for our Unlocking Program.

    These are the main criteria used to determine your device's eligibility:
    -Device must be a TracFone branded phone. Unlocking does not apply for "Bring Your Own Phone" devices.
    -Device must have not been reported as stolen, lost, or associated with fraudulent activity.
    -Device may have already been unlocked or device may have a pending unlock request (customer should call for resolution).
    -Devices activated on the Verizon network, at least 60 days must have passed since the date of device activation.
    -Devices activated on other carrier networks must have been activated on TracFone service for no fewer than 12 months, must have redeemed no fewer than 12 months of service and must be active or within 60 days of expiration of active service.

    For customers from Straight Talk, Simple Mobile, Total Wireless, NET 10, TracFone or Telcel:
    -Handset model must have been launched to the market after 02/11/2014 or activated on TracFone service after 2/11/2015.

    For customers from SafeLink:
    -Handset must have been activated on TracFone service after 2/11/2014.

    NOTE:
    Please call our Unlock Department at 1-888-442-5102 for additional instructions if:

    If you are deployed military personnel
    You have received communication regarding a need to move your service to Verizon carrier

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    4,186
    Device(s)
    iPhone SE 2022, Samsung A53 5G, Pixel 6a, iPhone 11, Samsung A51
    Carrier(s)
    TF/Verizon
    Feedback Score
    0
    Sometimes if you call the unlocking department they can do things. 1-888-442-5102

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    16,015
    Device(s)
    Pixel 3a XL; Moto E4; LG Phoenix 2
    Carrier(s)
    Google Voice; T-Mobile Postpaid Mobile Data; FreedomPop; FreeUp; Dent; 3UK
    Feedback Score
    0
    Did you activate the My Flip with the SIM that came installed in the phone when you first took it out of the packaging?

    If yes, that's --usually-- enough to allow it to be unlocked after the 12 months or 60 days of continuous service, and you should definitely contact the unlocking department.

    If you instead swapped in an already active SIM card, then unfortunately, the unlock clock never got started.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    954
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by tomseys View Post
    Sometimes if you call the unlocking department they can do things. 1-888-442-5102
    Thanks. I'll do that.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    954
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Boz1 View Post
    Did you activate the My Flip with the SIM that came installed in the phone when you first took it out of the packaging?

    If yes, that's --usually-- enough to allow it to be unlocked after the 12 months or 60 days of continuous service, and you should definitely contact the unlocking department.

    If you instead swapped in an already active SIM card, then unfortunately, the unlock clock never got started.
    Thanks Boz. This was a LG Classic flip that I purchased from Tracfone back in 2021. I think I started mom with PagePlus in June, 2021. At least that shows in PagePlus history of first plan purchased.

    I hadn't touched any sim in her phone because I didn't even realize sims come in flip phones. :-)

    I will call the phone number. I really hate dealing with their customer service but I will give it a try.

    Thanks so much!

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    4,186
    Device(s)
    iPhone SE 2022, Samsung A53 5G, Pixel 6a, iPhone 11, Samsung A51
    Carrier(s)
    TF/Verizon
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by diddlydudette View Post
    Thanks Boz. This was a LG Classic flip that I purchased from Tracfone back in 2021. I think I started mom with PagePlus in June, 2021. At least that shows in PagePlus history of first plan purchased.

    I hadn't touched any sim in her phone because I didn't even realize sims come in flip phones. :-)

    I will call the phone number. I really hate dealing with their customer service but I will give it a try.

    Thanks so much!

    It's often an easy call - the reps there only handle unlocking issues and usually answer quick.

    I recall someone unlocked a page plus phone using that number but don't remember the exact circumstances.

    Sometimes calling a few times can get a different result as well if a given rep is not helpful.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    2,782
    Feedback Score
    0
    The Page Plus forum topic
    https://www.howardforums.com/showthr...locking-policy

    @whacker was successful calling the TF unlock dept.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    954
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by tomseys View Post
    It's often an easy call - the reps there only handle unlocking issues and usually answer quick.

    I recall someone unlocked a page plus phone using that number but don't remember the exact circumstances.

    Sometimes calling a few times can get a different result as well if a given rep is not helpful.
    Thank you.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    954
    Feedback Score
    0
    I just called Tracfone and they said it had to have been on Tracfone plan. He suggested I contact Page Plus and see if they would unlock. Well I found the unlock page on Page Plus's website and entered in phone number and IMEI and this pops up:

    Great News! Your phone is already Unlocked.

    If you need to troubleshoot any issues with it, please Contact Page Plus Cellular at 1-888-442-5102.


    So Tracfone testing says it's not unlocked but PagePlus says it is. Who do I believe or how would I know for sure before buying the Red Pocket plan? I'll start of by calling the PagePlus and hopefully they can tell me why on one site it's unlocked but on other it is saying not unlocked.

    I call back Tracfone to ask and I couldn't really understand the girl but she too said they can't unlock and to call PagePlus. I guess she read notes in my acct. I asked how come Tracfone shows it is locked yet PagePlus says it is unlocked? She mumbled something I couldn't understand so I just said thanks and good bye.

    Is it possible it really is unlocked? I purchased from Tracfone over 2 years ago and it's been on PagePlus for over 2 years. I never unlocked it. I've never unlocked any phone.

    ETA: I called the number above that is in red. It takes me back to Tracfone. This was my third time talking to them. I explained that it shows unlocked on the PagePlus website. She says since it is branded Tracfone, it has to be on a Tracfone plan for 60 days. YET the first time I called, a Tracfone rep told me to call PagePlus and get them to unlock.

    I'm so confused. It's like you get different answers depending on who you talk to. There are no consistent answers. lol....just what I figured would happen....frustration as always. lol
    Last edited by diddlydudette; 01-23-2023 at 06:36 PM.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Southwest Michigan, USA
    Posts
    4,487
    Device(s)
    LG Aristo 2 Plus (T-Mo); Moto G Power 2020 (PPC)
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile Prepaid & Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    0
    The Unlocking Dept. for TracFone at the 888 number is the only Unlocking Dept. there is for all TF companies! It includes Page Plus Cellular! What's this telling you to call PPC? I would call it again and try really hard to understand what's being said, and if you have to, call again for another shot at a different Rep.

    When I did my two Total Wireless Moto G Power 2020s that I use on PPC (starting in 2021, and with their included SIMs, not anything extra from PPC), it was just 1, 2, 3. Some codes were issued to me which had to be entered into the devices, a restart each, and it was done.

    I don't know the procedure for your model phone, but it sounds like they're hung up on just the qualifying conditions having been met or not, and think sending you around is going to get you info that they're unsure of.

    If mine qualified I should think yours would. I used the 888 number. When you said you called TracFone, did you mean the Unlocking Dept. at the 888 number?

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    954
    Feedback Score
    0
    I just received an instant message from Alex from Tracfone:

    It states:

    Hi diddlydudette. This is Alex from TracFone Wireless. We read your post. We are really sorry if you had a bad experience with our customer service. Yes, our Phones can be unlocked. To unlock a device, you may click on this link https://www.tfwunlockpolicy.com/wps/portal/home or text the word UNLOCK to 611611. Should you have questions, feel free to chat with us at https://www.tracfone.com/support/contact-us, or call us at 1-800-867-7183. For your convenience, our representatives are available Monday-Sunday from 8:00 AM to 11:45 PM EST.

    So many different answers given.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    954
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by whacker View Post
    The Unlocking Dept. for TracFone at the 888 number is the only Unlocking Dept. there is for all TF companies! It includes Page Plus Cellular! What's this telling you to call PPC? I would call it again and try really hard to understand what's being said, and if you have to, call again for another shot at a different Rep.

    When I did my two Total Wireless Moto G Power 2020s that I use on PPC (starting in 2021, and with their included SIMs, not anything extra from PPC), it was just 1, 2, 3. Some codes were issued to me which had to be entered into the devices, a restart each, and it was done.

    I don't know the procedure for your model phone, but it sounds like they're hung up on just the qualifying conditions having been met or not, and think sending you around is going to get you info that they're unsure of.

    If mine qualified I should think yours would. I used the 888 number.
    Hi Whacker. I keep asking is there anyway they can unlock this phone. I don't know what else to do or how else to ask. I make it clear that I want it unlocked and I keep being persistent in asking. I beg. All they say is that it needs to be on Tracfone for at least 60 days. So far I've asked 3 reps.

    I guess I can keep trying tomorrow but I'm not feeling very confident that I will get a different answer but I'll keep trying.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    12,880
    Device(s)
    Samsung S22, Samsung A51, Pixel 4a
    Carrier(s)
    TF/Verizon, Walmart Freedompop, FreeUP AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by diddlydudette View Post
    So Tracfone testing says it's not unlocked but PagePlus says it is. Who do I believe or how would I know for sure before buying the Red Pocket plan?
    Put in a SIM from a provider NOT in the TF family of companies (doesn't have to be an active SIM). If the phone does NOT give an error like "Invalid SIM" or "Unregistered SIM", then the phone is unlocked.

    Let us know what happens when you try such a SIM.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-26-2005, 01:33 PM
  2. Dad phone broke can he use his old one?
    By mab631 in forum Sprint
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-03-2005, 11:18 AM
  3. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-29-2002, 07:45 PM
  4. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 08-26-2002, 11:40 PM
  5. how uch can i get for my used GSM Phones!!!
    By dd61999 in forum T-Mobile
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 06-03-2002, 10:40 AM

Bookmarks