Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: TFW-ATT SIM Won't Register on iPhone

Feedback Score

TFW-ATT SIM Won't Register on iPhone

I have an ATT-TFW SIM that works on a Samsung A53 (even it's not ATT white-listed). Same SIM gets SOS/no service on iPhone 12 and iPhone SE2 (both unlocked). Does anyone know why?

I have tried downloading various ATT MVNO APNs from unlockit.co.nz and still got no service. FWIW it's an older ATT-TFW SIM with 25 in the 9-10th position.

TIA!

Device(s)
    Xperia X, iPhone 7, iPhone SE2, Galaxy A51, LG Classic Flip
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Cricket, Tracfone (VZ), Tracfone (AT&T), FreedomPop (GSMA, GSMT)
    Feedback Score
    One... are you sure it's AT&T? What's the first 8-10 digits of the ICCID number on the SIM card? From looking at my ICCID, it's possible you have an older SIM that's not VoLTE capable. The ICCID must be "27" in the 9 & 10th digit.

https://www.howardforums.com/showthr...2#post17201342

Two... Stick the SIM back in the Samsung A53 and write down the APN it uses. Should be under Settings and Network -> Mobile Network.

When you download the profiles from unlockit, you can view "More details" before install to make sure it's the same/correct APN. A lot of profiles are outdated.

Let me find my AT&T Tracfone and report back the working settings in a bit.

Tracfone AT&T settings:
    Code:
    ICCID     8901410427x
    APN       reseller
    MMSC 	  http://mmsc.mobile.att.net
    MMS proxy proxy.mobile.att.net 
    MCC 	  310
    MNC 	  410
    https://www.howardforums.com/showthr...t-APN-settings
    Last edited by Slepy; 08-22-2023 at 06:21 PM.

Feedback Score
    have you tested the phone on ATT with a different service ?

any chance the phones are blacklisted or otherwise blocked by ATT ?

you can check below that the phones are qualified to be unlocked by ATT, some service manage to get ATT iPhone unlocked but they may not work on ATT

https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/

other thing to check is if there are any lingering eSIM profiles or other settings from a previous service that may be conflicted

i would consider trying 'network setting reset' - this will delete saved wifi network though, so be aware

Feedback Score
    Why not get a new SIM to activate the iFruit?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Slepy View Post
    One... are you sure it's AT&T? What's the first 8-10 digits of the ICCID number on the SIM card?

Two... Stick the SIM back in the Samsung A53 and write down the APN it uses. Should be under Settings and Networks.

When you download the profiles from unlockit, you can view "More details" before install to make sure it's the same/correct APN. A lot of profiles are outdated.

Let me find my AT&T Tracfone and report back the working settings in a bit.
    Yes it's an ATT-TFW SIM. First 10: 89014 10325

APN on the A53 is the typical ATT MVNO profile: MVNO eReseller

The problem with unlockit APNs is that I can't see the details like MMSC, multimedia message proxy, etc.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ncarraway View Post

The problem with unlockit APNs is that I can't see the details like MMSC, multimedia message proxy, etc.
    all US Carriers have deals with apple to lock down the APNs, general rule in the US will not be able to view or edit iPhone APN's unless you are using an international roaming service or Jailbreak your phone (if that even possible on your iOS Version)

instead hidden from view 'carrier bundles' are used to provision iPhones here

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score

Alright... just looked at my ICCID and SIM info up above. I think you're using an old, outdated non-VoLTE SIM. You need to track down a new Tracfone AT&T SIM with "27" in the 9-10th digit position, like I listed above.

https://www.howardforums.com/showthr...2#post17201342

The other APN details doesn't really matter for iPhone/just data (MMS probably won't work properly), but the APN name must be exactly "reseller", when you view the profile details. Can you post a screenshot of the APN on the Samsung A53? The APN name should be "reseller" and not "ereseller" I think...

So your job is now to track down a new VoLTE capable Tracfone AT&T SIM, which is kind of hard, because they stopped selling them about 1-2 years ago, so you'll need to rely upon third-party/eBay sellers. Then transfer the service from the old SIM to the new VoLTE capable SIM. Good luck!

For now, try to install the Straighttalk (RESELLER) profile on unlockit. That has the "RESELLER" APN. See if that can correct the SOS/no service issue.
    Last edited by Slepy; 08-22-2023 at 06:41 PM.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by robbyrobby View Post
    have you tested the phone on ATT with a different service ?

any chance the phones are blacklisted or otherwise blocked by ATT ?

i would consider trying 'network setting reset' - this will delete saved wifi network though, so be aware
    Both iPhones are unlocked and work on RedPocket GSMA. eSIM was disabled when activating with the ATT-TFW pSIM (and still got SOS/no service).

Quote Originally Posted by PaulCrawhorne View Post
    Why not get a new SIM to activate the iFruit?
    I'd like to get a newer ATT-TFW VoLTE SIM but with VZ dumping ATT/TMUS I'm not sure if it's worth the effort. I just wanna try out ATT QCI9 before committing to another MVNO down the road.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Slepy View Post
    Can you post a screenshot of the APN on the Samsung A53?

For now, try to install the Straighttalk (RESELLER) profile on unlockit. That has the "RESELLER" APN. See if that can correct the SOS/no service issue.
    Thanks for digging out the ATT-TFW SIM. Here's the A53 APN; excuse the extra large font it's my mom's phone.

Also tried ST reseller APN and didn't work
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Thanks for digging out the ATT-TFW SIM. Here's the A53 APN; excuse the extra large font it's my mom's phone.

Also tried ST reseller APN and didn't work
    Thanks for the screenshot, but the text is unreadable because of the resizing. I think the APN is "ereseller". In that case, you'll need to try to generate a carrier profile yourself.

Follow the instructions in this thread:

https://old.reddit.com/r/freedompop/...00_gsma_plans/

Connect the iPhone to WiFi, use Safari, surf to https://apn.aseinet.com/
    Generate an APN Name with "ereseller" (no quotes). Download/Install. Might need to reboot/network reset.

Make sure you delete any other/older profiles installed before. If that doesn't work, then you need a new VoLTE SIM.

Quote Originally Posted by robbyrobby View Post
    i suspect this is not APN related, although could be previous downloaded MVNO profiles lingering causing a conflict, i believe it was mentioned the device had been on RedPocket previously
    Yeah, it's probably not APN related, but these are some troubling shooting steps he can try now, for free. I think it's probably the non-VoLTE SIM not playing nice with the iPhone. Or like you said, there's multiple/older profiles installed or the network settings is configed for RedPocket.

One final recommendation I can offer is to keep the TF AT&T SIM in the iPhone and connect it to WiFi for 10-20 minutes. Keep it awake by using it, browsing/apps. Sometimes, the iPhone wants to call home to get permission to activate. Super annoying behavior and you don't have anyway manually force it.

https://www.howardforums.com/showthr...0#post17243460
    Last edited by Slepy; 08-22-2023 at 10:21 PM.

Device(s)
    Samsung S22, Samsung A51, Samsung A54
    Carrier(s)
    TF/Verizon, Walmart Freedompop, Qlink
    Feedback Score
    I have an ATT-TFW SIM that works on a Samsung A53 (even it's not ATT white-listed). Same SIM gets SOS/no service on iPhone 12 and iPhone SE2 (both unlocked). Does anyone know why?
    Given the fact that your TF/AT&T SIM is not VoLTE compatible, is it possible that the A53 is using 2G/3G but the iPhones only want to use VoLTE?

Feedback Score
    i suspect this is not APN related, although could be previous downloaded MVNO profiles lingering causing a conflict, i believe it was mentioned the device had been on RedPocket previously

has 'reset network settings' been tried ? also is the latest iOS installed ?

Feedback Score
    Just tried a AT&T-TF sim in an iPhone 12, it worked, i have 27 at the 9-10 spot.
    Delete any profiles you have then reboot, wifi off, if still doesn’t work, try a new sim from Amazon.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kaZZoo View Post
    try a new sim from Amazon
    Link?

I have a large collection of TMO and ATT TF SIMs but have been getting them off eBay

Device(s)
    Pixel 3 XL, iPhone SE, OnePlus Nord N200
    Carrier(s)
    TracFone, T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

I have tried downloading various ATT MVNO APNs from unlockit.co.nz and still got no service. FWIW it's an older ATT-TFW SIM with 25 in the 9-10th position.

TIA!
    You need a newer SIM with 27 or higher in 9-10. Also, iPhones often need a network reset to work with a new SIM. unlockit.co.nz APNs should not be needed with Tracfone as they are an Apple parner with their own carrier profile.
    Find and compare prepaid plans at https://prepaidcompare.net

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast