Thread: @Home is No Longer Truly Unlimited

Feedback Score

@Home is No Longer Truly Unlimited

at least for new customers, get deprioritized at 1.2TB

Nater Tater video:
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=Y4ZQA0FRNCg

Feedback Score
    1.2TB isn't a bad limit.
    Visible (by Verizon) receive $20 off the first month. Please Private Message me for referral code.

I will be Judged on how I helped the poor, sick & others in need; loved ones & strangers alike.

My plans:
    Visible (Verizon) UTTD $25/mo
    T-Mobile Gold Rewards $10yr exp 12.25.23
    FreedomPop (AT&T) Target $4.99 once 100 TTD a month each 29th

Carrier(s)
    310-150, 310-260
    Feedback Score
    The word on Reddit is that they've adjusted QCI numbers and now 1.2TB is the deprioritization threshold. If so, it's arguably a bit better than a hard cap/throttle and YMMV based on location:

https://old.reddit.com/r/tmobileisp/..._cap_to_their/

If that's the case, it seems they're more confident in the product (along with the price increase) that it's maybe being treated as less of an experiment and behaving like a "real" ISP. Obviously, price increases and data caps are worse, but I doubt they wouldn't have been able to do this two years ago.

I'm using the service and we rarely go over 800GB/month, but even a deprioritization threshold is better than some of the wireline ISPs having caps where you pay for overages or have to bundle linear TV to avoid caps.

Device(s)
    iPhone 12 Pro Max
    Carrier(s)
    Tello
    Feedback Score
    T-Mobile adding a cap is actually good here. TMHI used to be last priority. Now it's one step above that until you hit 1.2TB for new accounts.

Feedback Score
    My @Home speedtests are consistently higher than my Go5G Plus Up using my Pixel 7 in the same location, often double.

I think it's the router's antenna superiority, more consistently on 5G.

I don't think depri matters here on TMO, just not crowded, most people stick to VZW/AT&T due to better rural geographic coverage away from the commuter routes.

The phone plan only allows 50GB high-speed hotspot too, but I haven't tried traveling around much with the @Home SIM so I'm keeping both for now at $90.

Our huge-file DLing mostly gets done through a $20 Visible line, rarely goes over 1TB

obviously that can also can be mobile, but not suitable for daily driver service, the depri gets unusable many times per week especially rush hour periods and going to Costco.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Throttled data speeds only mean at a slower rate once a usage threshold is met. Unlimited still means unlimited, albeit sometimes at a slower rate and data speed cannot be, nor has it ever been guaranteed by any carrier at any time.
    Just another day in paradise.....

Feedback Score
    Yes to all that but there has been a change, it may be justified but it's not nothing.

For me, "truly unlimited" should mean afawk they don't care at all how many TB you pull

no throttling, no depri, BASED ON GB VOLUME, no flagging your account, nothing.

Which is what grandfathered @Home users apparently still have.

Just like my reseller "business failover" line, and my TMO Go5G Plus Up

AT&T tablet line?

Maybe Visible too, but some say getting up to 2TB might raise a flag.

Device(s)
    iPhone 12 Pro Max
    Carrier(s)
    Tello
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulCrawhorne View Post
    Yes to all that but there has been a change, it may be justified but it's not nothing.

For me, "truly unlimited" should mean afawk they don't care at all how many TB you pull

no throttling, no depri, BASED ON GB VOLUME, no flagging your account, nothing.

Which is what grandfathered @Home users apparently still have.

Just like my reseller "business failover" line, and my TMO Go5G Plus Up

AT&T tablet line?

Maybe Visible too, but some say getting up to 2TB might raise a flag.
    Why would you be upset about them basically adding 1.2TB of premium data to what was always a last priority unlimited plan? It's the same unlimited it always was but with the benefit of the first 1.2TB being higher priority than existing TMHI customers get which means new customers actually are getting a better plan (but at a $10 higher monthly cost across all tiers).

Feedback Score
    Not upset, in any way, just posting a news item FYI.

I personally have never seen any negative effect of any depri on any network but VZW.

If I get 15Mbps rather than 150, do not care a whit. But Visible at rush hour it often gets unusable, well under 1 Mbps

Device(s)
    iPhone 12 Pro Max
    Carrier(s)
    Tello
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulCrawhorne View Post
    Not upset, in any way, just posting a news item FYI.

I personally have never seen any negative effect of any depri on any network but VZW.

If I get 15Mbps rather than 150, do not care a whit. But Visible at rush hour it often gets unusable, well under 1 Mbps
    Well it's just that it seemed like you were insinuating this shouldn't be called truly unlimited anymore because of the change when in fact it's an upgrade.

Device(s)
    iPhone 12 Mini, iPhone 12, Galaxy Note 5
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by EtherealRemnant View Post
    Why would you be upset about them basically adding 1.2TB of premium data to what was always a last priority unlimited plan? It's the same unlimited it always was but with the benefit of the first 1.2TB being higher priority than existing TMHI customers get which means new customers actually are getting a better plan (but at a $10 higher monthly cost across all tiers).
    Are you sure about that? It was my understanding that the priority is:

Tier 1: Mobile phone users
    Tier 2: High usage mobile phone users & HSI
    Tier 3: High usage HSI

And that all previous HSI customers, and the new HSI customers with usage under 1.2TB stay in tier 2.

I am fine to be wrong here. But that's what I thought I read, and what the Nater Tater video confirms (not that he is the end-all and be-all of T-Mobile T&Cs).

Device(s)
    iPhone 12 Pro Max
    Carrier(s)
    Tello
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeekiM View Post
    Are you sure about that? It was my understanding that the priority is:

Tier 1: Mobile phone users
    Tier 2: High usage mobile phone users & HSI
    Tier 3: High usage HSI

And that all previous HSI customers, and the new HSI customers with usage under 1.2TB stay in tier 2.

I am fine to be wrong here. But that's what I thought I read, and what the Nater Tater video confirms (not that he is the end-all and be-all of T-Mobile T&Cs).
    Nope, TMHI was always last priority. This change to third priority is very recent and only affects new customers. People used to complain about their hotspot being faster than their TMHI even.

Device(s)
    iPhone 12 Pro Max
    Carrier(s)
    Tello
    Feedback Score
    Here you can see the old terms.

http://web.archive.org/web/202301030...ternet-service

It clearly says that TMHI customers were considered the same as heavy data users with regard to prioritization and that heavy data users are prioritized last.

Attachment 174398

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by EtherealRemnant View Post
    Well it's just that it seemed like you were insinuating this shouldn't be called truly unlimited anymore because of the change when in fact it's an upgrade.
    Not "insinuating" I have above explicitly stated that yes, I do not consider it "truly unlimited" anymore.

Also that I consider the "upgrade" a theoretical aspect only, in practice irrelevant.

None of which implies disparagement or indeed anything to do with emotions at all.

Device(s)
    iPhone 12 Mini, iPhone 12, Galaxy Note 5
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I am not sure I read/interpret it the same way, but that's okay. Like I said, it's not that important to me since I haven't ever been noticeably impacted by the fact that my HSI has been prioritized last by T-Mobile.

The new Terms and Conditions seem to indicate that while their HSI users used to be last priority, that as of January 18th, they've carved out a new category that has now taken the "last place" position. I don't see anything in their new T&Cs that indicate that new HSI users now have 1.2TB of premium data. The way I interpret it, new HSI customers get to stay in "second to last place" with all of the other HSI users until they surpass the 1.2TB threshold, which moves them into the new last place category.

Additionally, we prioritize network data by plan and brand to deliver a range of customer choice points at great values. Data for customers on most T-Mobile-branded plans (and for customers on Sprint-branded plans while using the T-Mobile network), is prioritized before the data of customers on Essentials plans and Metro by T-Mobile or Assurance Wireless-branded plans. Mobile internet plans offered after December 12, 2020 with 30GB or more data per month, and Project 10Million and some other education-focused mobile internet plans, are prioritized next. The vast majority of customers on T-Mobile-branded, Sprint-branded, Metro by T-Mobile-branded, and Assurance Wireless-branded plans receive higher priority than Mobile Wireless customers who are Heavy Data Users on their rate plan, who are prioritized with our T-Mobile Home Internet customers after exceeding the relevant threshold for the current billing cycle. In general, T-Mobile Home Internet (available in select locations) customers receive the same network prioritization as Mobile Wireless Heavy Data Users. As of January 18, 2024, new T-Mobile Home Internet customers who exceed 1.2TB of data usage for the current billing cycle will be prioritized last on the network. Because T-Mobile Home Internet equipment is intended to be stationary and is only available in limited areas, these customers should be less likely to notice congestion in general.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast