Thread: Question about adding a custom ringtone to iPhone

Feedback Score

Question about adding a custom ringtone to iPhone

This is for my mom's iPhone XR. She really likes Moto's "Boom Boom" ringtone (it was the default ringtone on the old Moto E 2nd gen) and I want to set it as the default ringtone on her iPhone XR. I downloaded a free audio file to her XR but can't find a way to set it as the default ringtone.

Looked up the iOS manual and it seems like you have to *buy* ringtones from the iTunes store, which she and I don't want to do (and I don't think they'll have a Moto ringtone in there anyway). The other solution seems to be through iPhone ringtone apps, so I downloaded a couple free ones to her phone but couldn't find a way to use them to set the Boom-boom ringtone as default.

(My mom doesn't backup her files to iCloud by the way, don't know if that's relevant here. She also doesn't use iTunes, FaceTime, and other iPhone-only apps/conveniences).

Is there any (free) way to set a custom audio file as the ringtone on an iPhone XR? Seems crazy that something that is so simple to do on Android is so difficult on an iPhone, so I'm sure I'm missing some obvious solution here. Please help! Thank you very much!
    Will happily share referral code for Red Pocket (gives you up to $25 off first month), and Tracfone referral code (gives you $35 in rewards points) - please PM me if you'd like to use my codes. You’ll also get great karma for helping out this starving student! Thank you!

Device(s)
    Nokia 6233
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sillyette View Post
    Seems crazy that something that is so simple to do on Android is so difficult on an iPhone, so I'm sure I'm missing some obvious solution here. Please help! Thank you very much!
    Nothing is simple within a closed Apple ecosystem vs open Android system. Although Android has gotten much more strict over the years.

That said, have you tried one of the 1st search results on Google, using search term "create custom ringtone iphone"? This comes up on the top of the page for me. Although Apple mixes things up with each IOS update, it might still work for you.

https://economictimes.indiatimes.com...3.cms?from=mdr

Or follow any of the other search results further down the page as I'm pretty sure, any custom ringtone must be uploaded thru your Itunes app library from a computer 1st. Most importantly, the file must have .4mr extention to be recognized as a Iphone ringtone.

https://www.google.com/search?client...UTF-8&oe=UTF-8
    Last edited by hapollo8; 01-29-2024 at 01:51 AM.

Device(s)
    Samsung S22, Samsung A51, Samsung A54
    Carrier(s)
    TF/Verizon, Walmart Freedompop, Qlink
    Feedback Score
    That's why I hate Apple ecosystem. Everything is tightly controlled and must be done "the Apple's way".
    Last edited by hpham; 01-29-2024 at 09:21 AM.

Feedback Score
    If you have a desktop computer or laptop, you can use 3utools to import the files.
    Just download any ringtone from the internet.

Device(s)
    Nokia 6233
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hpham View Post
    That's why I hate Apple ecosystem. Everything is tightly controlled and must be done "the Apple's way".

Agreed. But coming from a security viewpoint, because of that, it is much easier to patch or keep secure than an Android based. Apple can push out a security patch to all supported models overnight. Whereas Google pushes any security patches and changes to manufacturers who in turn may or may not patch it leaving you vulnerable for quite some time. Plus you rarely hear about malware apps in the Appstore whereas Google Play has a list of rogue programs weekly.