Thread: Least expensive way to unlock TracFone phone

Feedback Score

Least expensive way to unlock TracFone phone

I have a TracFone Blu View 2 phone that has never been activated on TracFone (or any other carrier). I want to unlock it in the least expensive way. I have read the TracFone official instructions about unlocking here:

https://www.tfwunlockpolicy.com

But I am confused about the 60-days requirement. Am I required to activate it and keep it active for 60 days? Or can I do it in the following less expensive way: activate it and keep it active for only 30 days, and then deactivate it and wait until the 60-days anniversary of when I activated it.

Device(s)
    Samsung S22, Samsung A51, Samsung A54
    Carrier(s)
    TF/Verizon, Walmart Freedompop, Qlink
    Feedback Score
    It's definite that a TF-sold iPhone requires only 30 days of active service to be unlocked on the 61st day. Some forum members had their TF-branded Android phones with only 30 days of active service unlocked on the 61st day, but it's not guaranteed. If you only had 30 days of active service on your Android phone and it doesn't get unlocked on the 61st day, you just wasted 60 days of waiting and maybe the cost of the 30-day card too.

Feedback Score
    Every android I activated with only one month service unlocks. If there is no active service you usually have to call in and explain the email didn't work and they read the code out for you. If it's a newer android it auto unlocks at 61 days no call required.

Feedback Score
    Yes the odds are good, but as The Man says, not guaranteed.

Nothing on TF is guaranteed

Sent from my moto g(8) power using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Do you have current Tracfone service? The cheapest way would be to activate the Blu with a transfer of service from an existing line. The safest route is to keep it active for 60 days, but it's likely that it would unlock with a shorter amount of time. I'm not sure if anyone has documented the minimum duration before transferring service back to a different device.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulCrawhorne View Post
    ...Nothing on TF is guaranteed
    That is guaranteed.
    Visible (by Verizon) receive $20 off the first month. Please Private Message me for referral code.

I will be Judged on how I helped the poor, sick & others in need; loved ones & strangers alike.

My plans:
    Visible (Verizon) UTTD $25/mo
    T-Mobile Gold Rewards $10yr exp 12.25.23
    FreedomPop (AT&T) Target $4.99 once 100 TTD a month each 29th

Feedback Score
    I thought I read someone who activated with transfer, then moved that service to a new device and the first device still unlocked 60 days after activation. But not 100% sure so as said, a bit more risky.

Device(s)
    Samsung S22, Samsung A51, Samsung A54
    Carrier(s)
    TF/Verizon, Walmart Freedompop, Qlink
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by pitflyer View Post
    I thought I read someone who activated with transfer, then moved that service to a new device and the first device still unlocked 60 days after activation. But not 100% sure so as said, a bit more risky.
    That depends on how soon they moved the service to the next phone after activation. I had a line harvested from a 1-yr bundle and used it to unlock multiple phones, moving service to the next phone after 60 days.

Feedback Score
    Right, in line harvesting every 61 days is definitely fine (I've unlocked phones every 2 months on my QVC/HSN year long lines for a long time). I'm not sure if you activate and move the service _before_ 61 days is up if it will still unlock, I think it will, but not that impatient to not just wait 61 days to let it unlock before I chain unlock the next.

Feedback Score
    Get a physical 90-day 60m card from Target, or Walmart, etc. About $20 + fees and taxes. I got caught because I added a 60-day plan and couldn't unlock the phone without adding another plan. That 61st day gets ya.

Feedback Score
    I have definitely unlocked phone without active service many times. The only reason you needed service at 61 days was for points vesting, not for unlocking on its own. But YMMV

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by pitflyer View Post
    I have definitely unlocked phone without active service many times. The only reason you needed service at 61 days was for points vesting, not for unlocking on its own. But YMMV
    Without active service, does the web site give the codes, or is it mandatory to call the unlocking department to get the codes? Thanks!
    Will happily share referral code for Red Pocket (gives you up to $25 off first month), and Tracfone referral code (gives you $35 in rewards points) - please PM me if you'd like to use my codes. You’ll also get great karma for helping out this starving student! Thank you!

Feedback Score
    I have had to call in for anything that requires a code to be entered. But for more recent phones that auto unlock (iPhone, Pixel and newer androids) they auto unlock without call in.