Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Can anyone try and figure out how to make a wallpaper look right?

Device(s)
    Motorola e815
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Ok, it's not perfect, nor very efficient but it gets the job done. Just click on the picture box to load an image, it must be a bitmap with the following format:

Width: 120
    Height: 131
    Depth: 16

Once it loads the image, click on the create .bit button and give it a file to save it as. Overwrite the appropriate file in /download and you're set.

P.S. Loading and saving the image takes a bit of time because it does a lot of conversions to and from hex/binary/string so be patient depending on your system's performance capabilities.

Have fun,
    StrataG
    Attached Files Attached Files

Feedback Score
    Excellent. Now I just needs me a data cable! Thanks again StrataG. Your awesome

Device(s)
    V710
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Originally posted by StrataG
    I've come to some conclusions and as soon as I figure out how to I'll send a program to do all the hard work for you. Here's the deal:

1. The phone does add that white space.
    2. The phone uses r5g6b5 bitmap format (i've used photoshop to confirm this)
    3. The phone also uses a reverse read where it reads from the last couple to the first.
    4. The size is 120x131, 16 bit color depth
    5. It replaces the standard bitmap header with only width and height information.

If you have photoshop (or any program that can produce flipped bitmaps with r5g6b5 bitmaps), crop your images to 120x131. Save as bitmap and use advanced settings to select r5g6b5 and flipped row order. Open the resulting file with a hex editor and remove the first 54 bytes, then add 0x78008300 to the beginning of the file. Additionally remove the last 2 bytes which should be 0x0000. Now send this to your phone to replace wallpaper.bit, poweron.bit or poweroff.bit. My wallpaper does not contain any white space except for where it's supposed to be in the picture.

Once I write something to automate this I'll let you know. Have fun
    Just did this and to my amazement I did not screw it up! Counted 50 deletes... replaced the next 4 with 78 00 83 00 and deleted the two at the end.

It worked perfectly! Not a single white pixel. Thanks a lot!

Add one more member to your fan club !

pls don't buy stuff. it's just a token of appreciation and a joke. Hmmm... On the other hand, I could raise the prices and forward any profit to your paypal account! <g>

Device(s)
    Motorola e815
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    lol, thx

Device(s)
    LG vx6000
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    After I convert the picture with your program and open the picture, I get "No Preview Available". I tried loading that into the phone anyway and it was just a white screen. Any ideas?

Device(s)
    Motorola e815
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    You will not be able to view the resulting file on your computer because it does not use the standard bitmap header info and also removes the trailing EOF marker. If you use bitpim to overwrite download/wallpaper.bit (please make sure you have the latest bitpim, cuz that could be a problem) with the newly created file it should work, I've tested it with 5 different files and they all worked.

Device(s)
    Motorola e815
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    If this does not work, please send me a pm with the original file and the created file or post it here if you must. I'll take a look and see what the problem is.

Device(s)
    VX6000
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Once I write something to automate this I'll let you know. Have fun
    StrataG, thank you so much. This was my biggest gripe with the VX6000 (yes i'm picky), and you've cleared it up.. Wow

Just to clarify, this mod is only available with the data cable, and not by sending the modified image to yourself, correct?

-Alex
    Used to be Nextel-know-it-all turned Verizon VX6000 Lover... Don't regret it one bit!

Device(s)
    Motorola e815
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Yes, this only works with the data cable. You must overwrite the .bit files in the download directory which is not possible via picture messaging obviously.

Device(s)
    Samsung T919 Behold
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Hey StrataG, are you using the LG 1200 cable on your VX6000? (I just want to verify it works before I buy it from FutureDial)

Device(s)
    LG VX6000
    Feedback Score
    Try this....

Send a picture message using one of the default .bmp images on the phone. You can cancel the message as it begins to send. Go to your outbox and select the message, then copy this image using unique filenames until your My Media folder is full. Next use bitpim and a cable to overwrite the images with bitmaps sized to 120x131 and 16 million colors. No special conversion needed, and you can have up to 20 custom wallpapers without borders.

For those who have deleted their bitmaps. Erase all images in the My Media folder, then remove the battery and wait a few minutes, then reinsert your battery and power up. The default bitmaps should be back in your folder. I have not tried this, but my colleague did and it worked!
    Last edited by nfthree; 09-11-2003 at 10:22 AM.

Device(s)
    Motorola Droid
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    hey guys how the heck do I save it with a 16 bit color depth?

I have and use photo shop 7
    **** it go big or go home

Device(s)
    RAZR
    Carrier(s)
    Cingular
    Feedback Score
    flomaster,

File, Save As, .bmp......then, it will ask you 16, 32 or 64. Select 16.

StrataG, The problem I am having is, when I send myself the pic, the phone says, "Error transcoding image/bmp". Everything else works ok.

Device(s)
    VX6000
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Well, finally got the cable.. Everything works perfectly

Just a note, when using the program to convert from a bmp to a bit file, make sure you didn't already select "flip row order" in photoshop, i kept getting errors when I was saving the file that way... just save the image as a plain 16 bit windows bitmap.

So, this works for one file, consiquently (wallpaper.bit, or whichever other one you modify).. But how do we get it so that we can save these modified bmp's in the gallery and switch from one to the other? or is uploading/overwriting over the wallpaper.bit the only way?

-Alex

Device(s)
    lg vx6000
    Carrier(s)
    verizon
    Feedback Score
    For those who have deleted their bitmaps. Erase all images in the My Media folder, then remove the battery and wait a few minutes, then reinsert your battery and power up. The default bitmaps should be back in your folder. I have not tried this, but my colleague did and it worked! [/B][/QUOTE]

to let u know i tried this because i deleted all my images thinking i could rename and replace them. had the battery off the phone 2 mins and put it back all my original images are there. good find

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast