Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Handy hints for P800

Device(s)
    Telecomms &
    Carrier(s)
    MTN: You have 2 work with these guys 4 a bit 2 c how good they r vs Vodacom!
    Feedback Score

Handy hints for P800

This board is HORRIBLY short of a tips n tricks forum. Let's get a decent thread going where we can assimilate some of our personal favorites. I'll kick is off with my thoughts:
    • Remove the flip - makes phone sleeker and your Tracker background always looks kewl. Otherwise you phone looks like an old brick!
    • Then use virtual flip button to lock screen (activates keylock within a few seconds) as this is the ONLY screenlock that does not light up when the screen gets touched in your pocket/pouch
    • Make sure your carry pouch has some reinforcement to prevent the screen from receiving unnecessary pressure, and try to put it into your pouch screen facing your hip. I use a srtip of Formica to line my pouch
    • Tracker is a must-use piece of s.ware. better than HandyDay and v3 is coming any day...May even have a screenlock that doesn;t light up thus negating the virtual flip tip
    • AutoStart is necessary to get Tracker loaded every time
    • Other basic apps required include Opera (tho I've not found many small scren friendly sites I like to surf just yet), MobiPocket eBook reader, WorldMate 4 weather & currencies, the latest Midi enhancer (v3 I think) that's nice n small yet makes a HUGE difference, a couple of midi's as ringtones, and stacker to maximise your MSD usage if u only have 16Mb
    • Avoid anything that requires AppForge! I've not yet had a SINGLE triangle of death, and I used R1D for about 2 weeks, followed by R2F for another 2 weeks. Extensive usage!
    • Feel free to install and uninstall aps, but reguarly use Tracker's file manager to clean out the crap that gets left behind
    • Update to R2F - other ppl claim the night mode on camera is great, I think the camera is snot all round, but then I'm fussy
    • Tasks: Set your tasks to sort by date then priority. Now insert a task with no date, priority 9, and called "========". This then becomes a nice divider between current tasks and future tasks. Overdue tasks will also show red
    • Tasks 2: There's no repeating task, so u have 2 options. Name repeating tasks "[R1m] pay monthly telephone bill" where the [] helps U remember to reschedule it rather than delete it once done. Else, put repetitive entires into your calender and convert them into tasks when they alarm you
    • Put on a screen cover. It makes you far happier to press hard when writing, and you don't stress about grabbing the nearest pen when you can't find the stylus. Also, fingerprints can be quickly wiped off so you don;t care too much about not having a flip. PS: to cut a palm screen cover to size make a paper template, ensure it fits comfrotably on screen, then use Prestick/blue tack to stick to palm cover and trim away before peeling and sticking
    • Put trackers task list onto a hotkey (I use jog towards me) so that U can easily see what's running and close it down
    • Put trackers close app function onto your blue button and use it to gracefully close any task you don't need just now
    • Above 2 should get you to 48hrs of battery life at around 30min of talking per day.

Device(s)
    P900
    Carrier(s)
    VODAFONE UK
    Feedback Score
    AutoStart is necessary to get Tracker loaded every time

Could you tell me how to enable autostart for tracker
    thanks

Device(s)
    Telecomms &
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    AutoStart is an app. When U load it, it lists all your apps and you get to tick the ones you want to have autoloaded (like windows startup group). It then just works after that!

There's another way to autostart tracker PROVIDED it's installed on your C drive. Search for something like "tracker startup" and you should find it.

Feedback Score
    Here's my tip:

check out www.pdaportal.us

all the sites listed are in PDA freindly format for surfing on you p800

mello

Feedback Score
    Hey does Midi Enhancer make the ring tones louder?

The default ring tones appear to be very low, I downloaded a midi Of a popular song and it is Loud, but it is not appropriate when at work.

mell0

Device(s)
    Telecomms &
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    No - midi enhancer gives U better sounds (crappy trumpet replaced by more vical sound etc). U can use a standard midi editor to raise volume of any track tho. Search for midi apps on Google.

Feedback Score
    Is the original screen protector good enough? It's still intact and on it.

What cases do you guys use?

Shawn

Device(s)
    Ericsson T39m
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile UK
    Feedback Score
    My tip....

1. SAVING MEMORY SPACE ON MSDuo

DO NOT bother with buying Stacker.

An easier and FREE way to free up as much as 40% space in some cases, is to reformat your Duo with smaller clusters.

You can go to www.my-symbian.com and search on the UIQ Forum for the topic "Sony is Stealing Memory".

You will see in great detail how to go about changing the cluster size of your memory stick.

2. QUICK ACCESS TO REGULARLY USED PROGRAMS

Use a program called QuickStart.

You can get it from My-Symbian.

It allows you to select a "hot-key" (either blue or cam button), which when pressed presents you with a menu list of programs (you choose which and how many programs appear in the list).

The program is trialware (trialware limits to two programs on the menu).

3. LOTS OF MUSIC

Use OggPlayer.

Convert all your MP3's and CD's to Ogg file format.

Ogg files are roughly half the size of MP3 whilst having the same qaulity.

And use the dBpowerAmp to do the conversion. Absolutely, fantastic audio suite (Player, Converter, Codecs). And it is FREE.

Get dBpowerAMP here: www.dbpoweramp.com

4. BATTERY LIFE

There are two threads (i cant remember their name)s on Esato that will give you ALL the advice you will ever need on how to prolong the life of your battery.

One of the threads I gave advice on (so you can search for the thread by using my username - which is the same as my username here).

More?

Some other time when I remember them all

Device(s)
    Telecomms &
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    @plevyadophy
    Memory stick tip is GREAT! However, I don;t believe you can reformat an MS without an MS reader in your PC.
    Any ideas on how us plain-p800 users can do this? I'd happily take the speed degredation for this increase.

Device(s)
    SE P800
    Feedback Score
    I travel around a lot (off the beaten track countries and airports) and haven’t been able to get a new case yet.

The following idea has been stolen (slightly modified I used glue…..) from TooMuch2AM (Mike) of Esato:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Everyone knows that the little vinyl case that comes as standard with the P800 is pretty much useless, and has absolutely no protection for the screen.

However, today I came up with a plan to modify the standard P800 case to provide extra protection.

What you'll need:

1. Some sharp scissors.
    2. Needle and black thread or glue (super glue is fine).
    3. A hard 'panel' (plasic is best) approximately 10cm x 4.5cm (someone recently suggested an old credit/store card).
    4. Tools to cut the panel to size.

How to do it:

1. Open up the case so that the 'Sony Ericsson' badge on the case is facing you.

2. You'll notice that the lining of the case is not attached very securely to the outer material. Pinch the rear lining about 0.5cm below the 'lip' of the case and lift it slighly.

3. Take your scissors and make a small snip in the lining, taking care not to cut the outer fabric.

4. extend the slit to within about 0.5cm of either side of the case, leaving a straight hole about 4.5cm across.

5. Slide the hard panel into the hole between the lining and the outer fabric. If you have measured correctly, the panel should slide fully into the hole leaving about 0.5cm of lining raised above the top of the panel.

6. Sew up the slit you made, sealing the hard panel inside the case. (You can use super glue, if you are like me and don’t carry a needle and thread with you. Don’t use too much though other wise you’ll end up with a sharp edge on the inside.)

7. You're done! - slide the P800 into the case with the screen facing away from you and touching the newly hardened side of the case. Hey presto! You've got a hard case for next to nothing!

Mike

As always I take no responsibility for any damage you may do to your phone / case whilst making or using the case. All information is given as is. Proceed at your own risk.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

I carried out this operation in an airport bar, borrowed the scissors and glue, and felt particularly satisfied about having found a use for that over APRed credit card.

I've also decided to stick with my new case in the belief that it may be less likely to be nicked, than some ostentatious little number!

Fletche
    Last edited by Fletche; 09-24-2003 at 12:41 PM.

Device(s)
    Ericsson T39m
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile UK
    Feedback Score
    @Craigeecraigee4

You are right you do need to have a reader/writer of some sort attached to a pc. You can get USB, Floppy disk type, or PCMCIA/PC Card type.

My advice is to get the PCMCIA/PC Card Mulitple Card Reader made by Sitecom as it can read and write to MS, SM, SD, MMC.

There is currently no other way of doing it.

If you know someone who has a MS reader/writer then use theirs and alter the cluster size.

But BEFORE doing it PLEASE PLEASE follow the advice given in the thread I mentioned earlier.

As to the speed decrease. Well, its not even noticeable.

Give it a go :-)

Device(s)
    SE P800
    Feedback Score
    Here goes a couple more for ‘less is more’ advocates:

1. Want to walk into a business presentation with nothing more than your P800 and your shirt! Want to be able to show a presentation on a laptop without having a laptop in that hotel bar or at 10,000 metres.

Replico is a good Office document viewer, it compresses file size (25% of size with power point is typical) and gives a good visual layout, is easy to use and quick to run on the P800.

I use it to carry 10’s of MB’s of presentations and documents with me (without Repligo they’d be 100’s of MB’s). I bluebeam or infrared the document to be viewed viewed onto some else’s laptop. You should have on your P800 a copy of the PC viewer version of Repligo to enable you to Bluebeam the program files to their PC.

If for any reason you don’t have the document you want on your P800, FTP the file down to your P800 from your server using something like FTP800.

This has never ceased to impress people!

Little things for little minds – that’s a dig at myself!

You can use Remote P800 to put the presentation/document on their PC but I don’t recommend it. The picture quality is very poor.

By the way, I was on a flight to New Delhi a few weeks back and did this. The cabin staff were quite unhappy. Does anyone know whether it is safe to use Bluetooth in aeroplanes and what the policy of airlines is?

2. Mobipocket is an excellent tool for downloading and reading books and news.

It is possible to create, search and view document databases – ‘books’. E.g. you could create and download a ‘book’, to your P800, containing all emails (1000’s) and documents relating to clients, giving you a searchable database in a highly compressed format.

I’d suggest you encrpt your data in case someone takes a fancy to your new reinforced case.

Fletche

‘Have my jeans, leather jacket and P800 – will travel and do business’

Device(s)
    Ericsson T39m
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile UK
    Feedback Score
    @ Fletche (and anyone else)

NO NO NO!!!

You were WRONG WRONG WRONG to do what you did with bluetooth on the plane.

Well sort of......

For a start, when the the P800 is in Flight Mode BOTH BT and the phone are disabled.

This should tell you something.

For you to have used BT you must have had the P800 working in normal mode which meant your P800 was giving off radio frequency (RF) signals.

RF is BANNED on nearly all airlines.

As to whether plain old BT is definitely bad for planes I ain't sure but I would imagine it is (especially as it is disabled in Flight Mode on the P800).

You are extremely lucky not to have been charged with endangering the aircraft, something that can result in a short prison sentence, even on a first offence (certainly that's often the case here in England and some parts of the USA)

Now to complicate matters, some airlines are now improving/uprating their planes to allow passengers to use WiFi and mobile/satellite phones.

If you wanna do that sorta thing you would be advised to get the airlines policy on it (in writing) and keep it with you on the plane just in case you get stroppy staff who dont know what the policy is and save yourself from being arrested.

By the way, using BT on airplanes notwithstanding, I liked your tips. :-)
    Last edited by plevyadophy; 09-24-2003 at 03:34 PM.

Device(s)
    SE P800
    Feedback Score
    @plevyadophy

Boss, I stand corrected and promise I will NEVER EVER EVER do it again!

Fletche

Device(s)
    SE P800
    Feedback Score
    @plevyadophy

Re: 1. SAVING MEMORY SPACE ON MSDuo

Followed the logic and the process outlined in the Dutchman’s thread (‘betatesta’ of my-symbian.com – top man).

What he says is obvious in hindsight, like most things.

For the test I used an old 16MB card (still took nearly 20 mins to restore)

My results are as follows:

D drive free space has ‘grown’ from 1328 MB to 7786Mb – based on our Dutchman’s logic I must have had a lot of small files lying around wasting space (a bit like my real life, ex-wives, business partners……)

There’s also a small difference in the C drive, which I don’t understand, but whatever.

So far, everything seems stable and normal.

If you've only got a small MS Duo (ahh) this seems to be a good idea.

As for 128 MS duos, we'll see!

If I could make a suggestion!?

Perhaps any further discussion on this subject should either be done creating a new thread here or revert back to the Dutchman!?

That way we don't dilute craigiecraigie4's 'Handy hints for P800' thread.

Fletche

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast