Thread: SUPERDOOPER MAJOR PROBLEM!!!!!!

Device(s)
    iPhone 3GS, N78, N82, N81 8GB,N95-4, N95-3, N95-1 PINK!, N73 PINK/WHITE!, N90 proto, OEM Pink N-Gage
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

Restoring Contacts

Ok, yesterday I kept getting this memory full message on my phone so I asked around and was told to just restore my phone using *#7370#. I did that and everything was set to brand new. I put the mmc back in and did a soft boot to reformat the mmc. Now the problem is I opened pc suite to restore my phone only (I chose to restore the sis files seperately.) Its been restoring for almost an hour now and the time remaining shows a negative number. The system backup is installing all the .dat files which I have no clue what they are. I'm trying to recover my contacts!!!! Does anyone know what the dat files are? I also have a separate folder which says contacts and contains 2 files. Should I just beam those to my phone to restore the contacts?

(and please dont crap my thread if this was mentioned before... I was just too frantic to search.)

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone
    Carrier(s)
    Cingular, T-Mobile CZ
    Feedback Score
    Not sure whats up, but what are the file names of the .DAT files, and their file size? It sounds like your phone or BUS on your computer hung.
    Feedback

Phones Owned:
    Nokia: 5160, 3390, 8290, 3310, 6610, 3595, e62
    Motorola: 7868w, p280, v66, v60, v60s, v600, v551
    Siemens: s56
    Samsung: e105
    Sony Ericsson: T68i, T610, P800, T39m
    Blackberry: 7920, 8800
    Treo: 750
    iPhone

Device(s)
    iPhone 3GS, N78, N82, N81 8GB,N95-4, N95-3, N95-1 PINK!, N73 PINK/WHITE!, N90 proto, OEM Pink N-Gage
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    They aren't regular file names but numbers. And there are a bunch of them. I just called Nokia and got some guy on the phoone who didn't seem heloful at all. I tried doing a restore of both the phone and mmc and PC Suite will tell me that this mmc has never been backed up to the pc. When I select the back-up date the pc suite freezes.

Device(s)
    iPhone 8GB :-D
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers (corporate)
    Feedback Score

Post Some info, hope it helps...

The nnn.dat files are how PC Suite names the backup copies of the phone's files. Take a look on your computer in the C:\Nokia\PhoneName\backup\ folder and you will see what I mean. To figure out what the .dat file represents, open up the file named filestore.dat.txt in that same folder and it will tell you the "mapping".

Now, I have no idea if the .dat file is just a renamed version of the original file or if it has been compressed (or otherwise altered). Therefore, it is possible (but not proven) that you could copy the matching .dat file to your phone with its original name (and in its original folder) and you would be OK. The file that looks like it should contain your contacts is C:\system\Data\Contacts.cdb.

I assume that you haven't sync'ed your contacts with a program like Outlook... you could always restore them from there. Once you get your contacts back, you might want to copy them (or the most critical ones) to your SIM card too.

I don't know why your PC Suite freezes. That's nasty. I'll do some more digging to see if I can find something else to help you.

[EDIT] I assume you are selecting Restore | Selected Data | Contacts in PC Suite. When does it ask you for a backup date? I haven't seen that.
    Last edited by IronTeardrop; 10-05-2003 at 04:54 PM.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Ok part of the problem with the contacts thing is that I have Outlook Express and not Outlook. The contacts on my OE was from the 7210 that I had synced to it.

As of now i found a back-up sim that had half of the contact info on it and the phone is working fine. I mean half is better than none.