Thread: Call quality

Device(s)
    Lots
    Carrier(s)
    PM, Wind, Koodo, Koodo, Bell
    Feedback Score

Call quality

I would like people to comment on call quality of the different phones they've used (keep it to recent history, please!)

I've been comparing a Samsung SCH-N150 to a Qualcomm QCP-2760(thin phone) and a Sony "brick" phone and found that the SCH-N150 was the worst in call quality (digital and analog) and dropped calls.

I would rank the QCP-2760 first, then the Sony. The SCH-N150 falls last by far. The QCP-2760 is with Bell while the others are with Telus. Could it be Lucent's EVRC coding (since the Sony does not use it)?

Before Bell enabled EVRC, the QCP-2760 voice quality was on par with a landline. We had to tell people we were on a cell phone.

Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    I heard from 2 people that use the N150 the exact same thing. Lots of echo and lots of dropped calls. They both hate their phones. The echo thing though is common to CDMA and is extremely annoying sometimes. For instance, last week I was downtown on Dundas and I talked to someone with so much echo I almost through the phone away. My phone is the T300 and I think that the call quality is pretty good overall. I rarely drop calls if at all, 4 times in nearly 6 months is not bad at all.

When there is no echo the sound quality is actually very good.

Carrier(s)
    TELUS Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Originally posted by hotsexyandhumid
    I heard from 2 people that use the N150 the exact same thing. Lots of echo and lots of dropped calls. They both hate their phones. The echo thing though is common to CDMA and is extremely annoying sometimes. For instance, last week I was downtown on Dundas and I talked to someone with so much echo I almost through the phone away. My phone is the T300 and I think that the call quality is pretty good overall. I rarely drop calls if at all, 4 times in nearly 6 months is not bad at all.

When there is no echo the sound quality is actually very good.
    Samsung has identified a bug in early shipments of the N150 that can cause increased levels of echo. The problem is covered under warranty and people who experience this should have their phone sent in for upgrades.

I live in the west where we are spoiled with exceptional network coverage (at least on Telus, that is) and I almost never experience echo. However, I get a lot of echo when talking to Fido customers and static when talking to Rogers customers...blah

Device(s)
    BlackBerry Pearl
    Carrier(s)
    Bell
    Feedback Score
    Awhile back ClearNET had the Qualcomm 1960 the digital only version of the 2760 and the call quality was just as good - in digital of course I have no complaints about either one. SO I don't think the quality is exclusive to Bell... I had amazing success with the Sanyo 4500 - speaker phone was a little garbled at times but little to no static, or other random interference, equaly strong in digital and analog (not on speaker phone). Now I've dropped my Sanyo for the MiKE's the i80s in particular and again I have to tell people yes I am on a cell phone - and the speaker is even BETTER quality I find!! The samsung N150 yes lots of static, cut in and out all the time, lots of complaints. The sam 8580 (again we're going back) suffered lots of echo and dropped calls. The Sanyo 4000 had a lot of echo but no static that I can recall... but quiet!!