Thread: Moto Secret Menus and some explanations of what the stuff is.

Device(s)
    Mot E815
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

Moto Secret Menus and some explanations of what the stuff is.

Stolen from Phones.stevecrow.net

Motorola v.series
    The Motorola v.series phones can be traced back to the v.120 and v.270, and encompasses the majority of the modern-day phones, right up to the newest v.60, T720 and C333 handsets

NOTE: The instructions on this page are valid for the following handsets:

C333 (Verizon Wireless)

T720c (Verizon Wireless, Alltel)

v.120c (Verizon Wireless, Alltel, Sprint PCS)

v.120e (Verizon Wireless, Cingular)

v.120t (Cingular)

v.270c (Verizon Wireless, Alltel)

v.60c (Verizon Wireless, Alltel)

v.60i (Verizon Wireless)

v.60t (Cingular)

Even though these phones have not been released yet, it is assumed the same instructions will apply to the T720p and v.60p for Verizon.

All of the Motorola v.series phones utilize the same "improved" graphical user interface and have the same debug and service menu shortcuts. The actual layout of some of the service menus will vary from one software version to the next, but will be similar among all v.series models.

The instructions here were written while referring to a Verizon v.120c with rather old software, the original P2K-C_P_2000.08.B2_ release, dating back to mid-2001. Several new versions of the software have been released, and eventually I'll get the phone flashed...

I know these same access codes will work with all Verizon software versions to date for the v.120c, v.120e, v.60c, v.60i, T720c, and v.270c. The codes will also work for the v.120cpp and T720cpp now available for Verizon's [FREEUP] prepay service, though there is a subsidy lock so you really can't do much. Also note if you're a Sprint PCS customer with the v.120c (almost certainly from a Wal-Mart prepay plan) Sprint's phones are also locked with a subsidy lock, so you, too, will be locked out.

"Quick Programming" Instructions
    This dates back to the StarTac days, if not earlier. From the idle screen:

Press (quickly) 74663# + MENU + MENU (spells P-H-O-N-E-#).

You see "User Activation" on the screen. Since the v.series phones (with the possible exception of the Sprint flavor) are dual-NAM, pick which NAM you want to program.

MIN: Your mobile phone number with area code, 10 digits.

IMSI_11_12: ?? Defaults to 00.

MDN: Mobile Directory Number. Should match your MIN.

AMPS Sys ID: Your carrier's analog system ID.

CDMA Sys ID: Your carrier's digital system ID, generally the same as the analog SID.

When you're done, press END and manually power-cycle the phone for programming to take effect.

The v.series also supports OTA programming (*228 with Verizon, *2 for Sprint) and most Verizon versions can do ERI.

Detailed Programming Instructions
    To get into the guts of the phone, you need to type in this key sequence very quickly from the idle screen:

MENU + 073887 + *

You will be prompted to "Enter Security Code". Verizon customers using anything other than the v.120cpp and T720cpp phones enter 000000. v.120cpp and T720cpp customers, along with Sprint PCS users, your phone is locked with a subsidy lock and cannot be accessed. Users of most other carriers can try 000000, 123456, and 654321.

Once you're in, here are your options (will vary by software version and phone model... ie, v.120e and T720c have options for 1xRTT data rate, and the T720c lets you configure Get It Now™):

Browser Setup - Lets you configure the WAP browser

WAP IP 1: The primary IP address of your WAP gateway. Verizon only: defaults to 207.232.99.109.

WAP Port 1: The primary TCP/IP port for your WAP gateway. Verizon only: defaults to 9201. Most carriers: 9200 or 9201.

WAP IP 2: The secondary IP address of your WAP gateway. Verizon only: also defaults to 207.232.99.109.

WAP Port 2: The secondary TCP/IP port for your WAP gateway. Verizon only: defaults to 9201. Most carriers: 9200 or 9201.

Confirmation: Choose whether or not to be prompted prior to launching the browser... displays an airtime usage warning. Can also give you a confirmation to exit the browser. Defaults to "off."

User Activation - identical to the "Quick" Programming Instructions, above.

AKEY - digital Authentication Key. DO NOT CHANGE THIS unless instructed to do so by your service provider.

Extended NAM - same basic layout as "Quick" Programming, but also adds:

Country Code: should be 310 in the US

CDMA Network: your carrier's CDMA Network ID (NID)

Email Gateway: SMS gateway phone number. Verizon only: defaults to 6245 (spells MAIL).

1st Channel A: A-side page channel primary, should be 283.

1st Channel B: B-side page channel primary, should be 384.

2nd Channel A: A-side page channel secondary, should be 691.

2nd Channel B: B-side page channel secondary, should be 777.

Security Code: Lets you change the user security code. Defaults to 000000, 123456, 654321, or some other code, depending on carrier (Verizon is 000000).

Lock Code: Defines the 4-digit User Lock code. Defaults to the last 4 digits of the MIN when a new MIN is being programmed, either manually or via OTA.

SPC: Allows you to define or change the Subsidy Lock Code. Leave this at 000000 if you want to be able to use Verizon's OTA.

Phone Numbers: Defines the number of active NAM's (Number Assignment Modules) in the phone. Valid values are 1 or 2. When set to 2, an "Active Line" option is added to the phone's Status menu.

Vocode: Lets you change the vocoder setting. Defaults to EVRC. Better call quality can be had by changing this, see below. Valid values are 8k, EVRC, or 13k. Note that 8k disappears in later software versions, including the v.120e and T720c.

SPC Overwrite: Determines whether you want the carrier to be able to change your subsidy lock via OTA programming. If you want to be able to continue accessing these menus, I suggest setting it to "Forbid."

System ID: Sets your phone's default SID. Also specified in the individual NAM programming.

SID/NID Pair: Defines SID/NID pairs. Overridden by a PRL???

Test Mode: More on that below.

Once you make a change, press END, then manually power-cycle the phone. Some newer software versions will power-cycle for you.

Vocoder Tweak
    You can improve the sound quality of most wireless phones by modifying the vocoder. The vocoder is a piece of software that converts your voice to digital data to be sent across the network, and also converts the network's digital data stream into audio. In many areas you can improve on the sound quality by requesting a higher vocoder rate.

Most phones these days come set to an EVRC vocoder, or Enhanced Variable Rate Codec, which is an enhancement over the older 8k vocoder. There is a higher quality vocoder setting available on most phones: 13k.

Note that setting the vocoder rate on your phone does not necessarily mean the network will obey your request. In some areas the network will force EVRC to alleviate congestion--- the tighter the compression, the more calls the carrier can pack into the same airspace. By modifying your phone's vocoder, you are merely stating a preference; the network can easily override you.

You can get better sound quality out of the Motorola v.series phones, plus the Motorola T720, by bumping the vocoder up to 13k through the service menu. You will need to know the security code to access this menu. Verizon users, except [FREEUP] customers, enter 000000. Sprint PCS and Verizon [FREEUP] users are locked out unless you happen to have the MSL/SPC code. Customers of other service providers try 000000, 123456, 654321, etc. Don't e-mail me for the code, I don't have it.

From the idle screen, enter (quickly) [MENU]+073887* (73887="SETUP"). You will be prompted for the security code. Scroll down to "Vocoder", hit Change, and set it to 13k. Press [End]. Newer v.series phones, including the T720c, will power-cycle automatically. Power-cycling is not really necessary, so if you phone doesn't do it, don't bother to do it yourself.

Field Debug Mode (Test Mode)
    You can access the debug mode through the service menu. Follow the instructions in "Vocoder Tweak" except select "Debug" from the bottom of the list. To exit debug mode, press [MENU] and the left softkey, then repeat the process of activating the debug mode except this time select Disable. I haven't found anything particularly appealing in the v.series debug mode.

There is a shortcut to debug mode, I thought it was #DEBUG+[MENU] or #TESTMODE+[MENU] or something like that. It isn't working on my first-generation v.120c, but I did manage to make it work on my T720c once. If anyone has this debug shortcut, e-mail me please. Sprint users may be able to access the debug menu using Sprint's standard debug lock code, 040793.

Note : I am NOT responisible of you break your phone by doing anything within
    VZW E815, OBEX, TF Move/Copy, DUN.

Device(s)
    v710
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon (clueless/evil)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by nova5
    Stolen from Phones.stevecrow.net

SPC: Allows you to define or change the Subsidy Lock Code. Leave this at 000000 if you want to be able to use Verizon's OTA.

SPC Overwrite: Determines whether you want the carrier to be able to change your subsidy lock via OTA programming. If you want to be able to continue accessing these menus, I suggest setting it to "Forbid."

its one or the other: either change the SPC value OR disable OTA changes to SPC. Sadly cannot use both at the same time

{ a real man loves justice, fortitude, and temperance }
    { the Peoples Cube | Silver Ring Thing | Pure Love Club }