Device(s)
    v.60c
    Carrier(s)
    Telus
    Feedback Score

Question blocking service during world youth day

I copied this bit from the Rants section posted by 'Hello'

RCMP and the Canadian Forces will Block cell phones when Pope visits
    Industry Canada has granted the Canadian Forces a licence to block cell phones from being used in areas between Toronto and Orillia between July 16-31, in the name of "international security".

Full Report:

http://strategis.ic.gc.ca/pics/sf/poperiase.pdf

(Note to moderators: This is a rant against the provider of Canada's security! )

is this true, has anyone heard more info on if this is just a contingency plan or are they really gonna use it??

It sounds rather absurd to me, but might make for some interesting discussion.

Device(s)
    Sony Ericsson P910i ( R4A ) ~ Sony Ericsson P800 ( R2F) W/ HBH 600 & HBH 20 ( All Unlocked )
    Carrier(s)
    Fido ( Microcell ) ~
    Feedback Score
    Hmm, is that just telus, or all carriers?

60 Years of Strength, Pride & Independence...
    INDIA: Break 35 Years and BEAT WI @ HOME!!! Kumble The Destroyer!!! ALL PRAISE THE DRAVID REGIME!
    Next up: More Crushing of The English!!

Bharat Mata Ki Jai!

HoFo's Premier Cricket King! & Almighty Leader of WORLD DOMINATION CRICKET POSSE!

Device(s)
    V65E4710, A3LSMG925W8, PDNRM-975, IHDT56PG3, QMNRM-11, L6ARCV70UW, L6ARJE180LW
    Carrier(s)
    TELUS, Bell, SpeakOut, CSL, au by KDDI
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Question

All cellphones in general... Read the applicatron...

I have confirmed this news with News1130 in Vancouver, it is true. It is supposed to be temporary measure during the crowded events. But, I do want to know how they deployed it - like the range - just within the close proximity around the Pope or wide area?

Device(s)
    HTC 10 (US Unlocked)
    Carrier(s)
    Koodo
    Feedback Score

Somewhat good news for CDMA users...

Here is a clip from a website...

http://denbeste.nu/cdmafaq/jamming.shtml

"Active jamming is a lost cause. Not only would it be a violation of FCC regulations (or those of comparable authorities in other countries) but CDMA uses spread spectrum. Spread spectrum was developed during World War 2 precisely because it is exceedingly difficult to jam with active jamming. And in many cases (the hospital heart ward) the cure would be worse than the disease because the transmit power levels required would cause more harm than the phones could."

I dunno how GSM/TDMA/Analog will suffer from the blocking techniques.

Carrier(s)
    {Bell Canada}
    Feedback Score
    Jeremyalanellio, thanks for giving me the credit on the first post!

I doubt that the RCMP and DND-CF will try to block each and every caller from phoning. I believe they will try to jam particular areas near where the Pope is, or if they see any suspicious vehicles, try to jam it to prevent any remote control bombs from going off. Perhaps they may even aim for the skys if they suspect any unusual flying behavior.

They got the licence in my opinion just in case they need to jam something for whatever reason, so no lawyer taking to his client or whatever on their cell phone can sue the two groups for big bucks, claiming lost fees! Under the Radiocommunications Act, no one is allowed to jam these radio signals for any reason; but of course exceptions can be made, especially to your own organization/ruler of your country (Canadian exemptions are made to "Her Majesty")! I'm sure the FCC has put its own loopholes into place.

Apparently they did the same thing once before in Calgary last month (June 2002), during the G8 summit. <http://strategis.ic.gc.ca/pics/sf/g8riase.pdf> Perhaps any Calgarians here can post thier cellular experiences during those days? Did you have sub-par "coverage" or experience network busy messages throughout the day, perhaps thinking that the network was down?

Issues like this the government wants to keep hush-hush, however, thanks to the privacy act, we can know what the government doesn't want us to know!

Device(s)
    Motorola i90c
    Carrier(s)
    TELUS Mobility
    Feedback Score
    This just happened here in Alberta during the G8 conference. The Mounties and CF set the equipment up in Kananaskis to do the same thing. Should effect all carriers for short-term only.

Remember the carriers only rent the air from the Feds...

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 5 64gb
    Carrier(s)
    Bell Mobility
    Feedback Score
    I remember hearing that these jammers could possibly cause iDEN handsets to "thrash" handoff the whole time, causing early battery depletion.

This thing is gonna happen basically 2 blocks away from me..I think I'll take a long weekend in Ottawa that weekend.
    Cheeri'o...
    Frankie...

Please Note: I do not work for Bell. I also do not work for any wireless retail outlet.
    Do not ask me about promotions or offers from wireless providers.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Originally posted by frankie5string
    I remember hearing that these jammers could possibly cause iDEN handsets to "thrash" handoff the whole time, causing early battery depletion.

This thing is gonna happen basically 2 blocks away from me..I think I'll take a long weekend in Ottawa that weekend.
    This is the stupidest thing I've ever heard.
    when Bush comes to town do we ban cell phones.. NO.
    and I think he's a little more important then the pope of a religious group?

Device(s)
    Motorola Razr v3c
    Carrier(s)
    Telus West: Talk 20 EAST
    Feedback Score
    Originally posted by treatz

you will burn in the afterlife.

Device(s)
    Nokia 8390
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    "the pope of a religious group"? LOL.... There are over 1.8 Billion Christians in the world, or about six times the population of the United States. That's right; this little "religious group" contains almost one third the population of the world.

I don't think anyone deserves cellphone service to be shut down for their sake, but considering that the Roman Church is the largest organization of any kind on earth (religious, political, or corporate), calling the man at the top "the pope of a religious group" seems a bit ignorant.

--Owen

Device(s)
    Sony Ericsson P910i ( R4A ) ~ Sony Ericsson P800 ( R2F) W/ HBH 600 & HBH 20 ( All Unlocked )
    Carrier(s)
    Fido ( Microcell ) ~
    Feedback Score

Oh my..... Here comes the fire!!!!!!

Device(s)
    Motorola v710
    Carrier(s)
    Telus Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Bah!

Organized religion is a crutch for the weak. Kinda like a union.
    "It's Better To Be Hated For Who You Are, Than Loved For Who You're Not"

http://cowboycasper.deviantart.com

Device(s)
    HTC 10 (US Unlocked)
    Carrier(s)
    Koodo
    Feedback Score
    Remember that Bush is the most powerful man on the planet.

He controls nukes... He can end the world any time he wants.

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 5 64gb
    Carrier(s)
    Bell Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Regardless of the religious connotations, has anyone thought about the remote possiblity that a jamming device could potentially set off a radio-controlled "threat" ?

So in a few weeks, about 2 blocks away from me a huge mass of people will gather to prey and fest... Honestly they could have chosen a better place to do this than Downsview park, where: A) A lot of old/retired people live - who could be affected by road closures, bus service restrictions. B) It's WAY too close to housing. I wanna see what happens when I come home at 1am Saturday night (27th) and they refuse to let me into "the manor" until they do a plate-check on my car...C) Where there are gatherings of this magnitude, there is trouble. Remember cellphones have only been a "commodity" for a few years now, yet people managed to cause trouble without them!

I think what will happen is they'll bring out "the black bus"... IF they detect any unusual RF, they'll probably drive to the area where it is strongest and switch on for an hour...

But with the amount of people in the area (and the amount of cellphones) I could NOT see them totally jamming all signals.

Besides, there are 4 towers of different types near the Allen Road/Sheppard area - that's a lot of RF to block!

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Fido ( Microcell ) ~
    Feedback Score
    Originally posted by AndrewSFM
    Remember that Bush is the most powerful man on the planet.

He controls nukes... He can end the world any time he wants.
    That is so sad! No man should have that power all to himself.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast